Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
It was more it was just one more detail to worry about when I was stressing about people and road and wet for the first time ever all at once. Was a blast though and I'm looking forward to my even colder ride home after work :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Yeah! Congrats!

Welcome to the Cold Weather Bros(tm).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Doing my CBT tomorrow with ~some dude~, fingers crossed I don't start overthinking it and gently caress up something really simple :downs: (I probably won't but the brain I was born with demands I worry at least a little bit)

nitrogen posted:

Here is an example of the one for Texas, in the USA. I am betting most of the skills you need are the same, except for a few (namely which side of the road to ride on!)

I found this pretty great primer on starting motorcycling in the UK which has been really helpful, so that's something.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Doing my CBT tomorrow with ~some dude~, fingers crossed I don't start overthinking it and gently caress up something really simple :downs: (I probably won't but the brain I was born with demands I worry at least a little bit)

I found this pretty great primer on starting motorcycling in the UK which has been really helpful, so that's something.

Good luck!

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I have added your link to the original post (if anyone ever reads it anymore).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Welp, that was loving brilliant :woop:

I was a bit nervous doing circuits in the first half, but the instructor said my clutch control was pretty good for a first timer. Didn't really help that the lot we were in was on a slope, so it was clutch almost fully in one way and mostly out with an unnerving amount of throttle the other. I get that I should have been giving it more throttle and riding the clutch, but overcoming muscle memory in under an hour is kind of hard, and the hill made finding the biting point an extra pain (plus letting out the clutch with the brake on doesn't make the bike dip/lurch the way my small car does, stalled a few times thanks to that)

We ended up leaving the YBR 125 in favour of some kind of scooter for the on-road bit so that I wouldn't get centipede's dilemma halfway through and get in a mess, which turned out to be a great idea because without having to learn two new things at once (i.e. different clutch/gear configuration, and just being on a bike and getting used to shoulder checks etc.) I had a great time and finished the road section with a big stupid grin on my face. :D

I was expecting to have to put a lot more concious effort into steering, but it really does just go where you look. I don't regret getting a solid theoretical knowledge of countersteering before starting though, there were a couple of mild panic situations I definitely would have hosed up otherwise.

Next step is shopping for gear and finding something small and cheap I can tool around local back roads on to get my clutch control down pat, after which I'll probably look into focused direct access lessons so I can go straight for my cat A licence.

tl;dr: I like biek :toot:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Yaaaaay! I'm glad you liked it.

One of us, one of us...

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Finally got time off work and signed up for the MSF course this weekend at my local college. Paid the $200 and got everything I was told I'll need (boots that cover ankles, gloves, etc). Nervous but excited. Main purpose is to see whether motorcycles are for me; hoping they're as fun as they look.

Had three dumb questions:
1. If you drop your motorcycle even once, you fail, right? Are there other automatic fails? I'm terrified of dropping it through I don't really think I will (I'm small and weak!).
2. I assume you learn how to shift and whatnot, but do you ever go fast enough to need to during the two-days? Also do you ever leave the parking lot? I doubt it cause insurance reasons but figure I'd ask.
3. It's 6-8 hours over two days right? Do we break for lunch or what?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
I can help!

1. You can drop it during the practice, but at least in Oregon, dropping the bike during the test is an automatic failure. During my class, 3 people dropped their bikes during the test. They all had the opportunity to come re-test at the next class, though, so they didn't have to re-pay.

2. They teach you how to shift, and have you go from first to second and back down quite a bit. You're rarely going to be able to go fast enough to get into third, but it's not a big deal. Really, once you know how to shift up and down and you're comfortable, you'll be fine.

3. The way our classes worked was there were morning and afternoon classes. Morning classes started at 8am and went until noon on the range, and then 2-4 more hours in the classroom. While we were in the classroom, the afternoon classes hit the range. You get an hour or so for lunch.

Good luck! I was worried I wouldn't like it too, but if you've not ridden a bike before, the first time you actually go is amazing. When you're in control and you're moving on your own steam... I mean, seriously, I started laughing like an idiot and didn't stop for a minute or so.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You're overthinking this. Relax, leave your ego at the door and listen to the advice your instructors give. You'll be fine.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

rizuhbull posted:

Finally got time off work and signed up for the MSF course this weekend at my local college. Paid the $200 and got everything I was told I'll need (boots that cover ankles, gloves, etc). Nervous but excited. Main purpose is to see whether motorcycles are for me; hoping they're as fun as they look.

Had three dumb questions:
1. If you drop your motorcycle even once, you fail, right? Are there other automatic fails? I'm terrified of dropping it through I don't really think I will (I'm small and weak!).
2. I assume you learn how to shift and whatnot, but do you ever go fast enough to need to during the two-days? Also do you ever leave the parking lot? I doubt it cause insurance reasons but figure I'd ask.

I'm here to answer your really important question: yes there is a lunch break. No, lunch is not provided so either bring cash if there's something local or bring food.

And no, you never leave the parking lot.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
What nsap said. When I took my MSF earlier this year I sperged out over every little detail and watched a ton of videos and read a lot of tutorials. Only to find come MSF time that none of that really was necessary. Just clear your mind and listen to what the instructor's are telling you and ask questions if you have any.

The way the MSF is set up is very intuitive for someone learning from zero knowledge of how a motorcycle is ridden.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The MSF doesn't teach you how not to run into mailboxes though. So keep that in mind.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The MSF doesn't teach you how not to run into mailboxes though. So keep that in mind.

Yeah, it's curriculum is definitely sorely lacking in that regard.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yet somehow 99% of graduates manage to not run into mailboxes.

Razzled is an amazing success story. When he started I thought he would die.b

Rizuhbull if you are skeptical that you are overthinking this I point you to exhibit A

rizuhbull posted:

And reiterate my advice to just relax. The class isn't scary at all and by simply worrying about it you will probably be more competent than anyone else there.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

rizuhbull posted:

Bring a sandwich or something easily portable. Our lunch and breaks were very short and i wouldn't have had time to grab food and chill. Also bring a liter water bottle. Motorcyclin' is thirsty business!

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Check the weather too. Day one of my MSF class was in a downpour and some people didn't have any waterproofs.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Just got back a couple hours ago. Got pulled aside after a few riding exercises because I can't balance well enough. Disappointed in myself but not terribly down. I just learned how to ride a bicycle earlier this year and had to take a ton of extra gym classes when I was little cause I couldn't walk right. Basically I'm an autistic gently caress, but I don't think this is the end. Just gonna have to get a car for now and work on balancing in the meantime. What I'm most upset about is how fun it is when you've got some speed but what can you do. Thanks everyone for the info and whatnot.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Bummer buddy but it's probably for the best if you were having trouble early. If you still want to learn, I'd get a bicycle and start riding the hell out of it. The weight is no where near the same but it should still help.

What did they tell you and what was the issue, exactly?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I completely hosed up the first time I tried to get my motorbike license. I was 20ish and it just wasn't right for me at the time. I was nervous and made tons of mistakes during classes which culminated in me crashing on an onramp and breaking my foot. After that I said gently caress it, I'm not ready for this yet. It sucked, but if I had continued I would probably just have been a terrible rider even if I had passed and eventually gotten into a proper accident.

I let it be for a few years, then got myself a cheap 50cc scooter and practiced in parking lots just to get used to the feeling of being on a powered two wheeled vehicle. I used it to commute to work for a year, and then I felt a lot more ready for a big bike. I think being several years more mature at the time also helped.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Ride a bicycle more and you'll be fine - low speed is the least intuitive/most dependent on muscle memory. If you practiced riding around for 20-30 minutes a day you'd probably have the hang of it in a few weeks.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

rizuhbull posted:

Just got back a couple hours ago. Got pulled aside after a few riding exercises because I can't balance well enough. Disappointed in myself but not terribly down. I just learned how to ride a bicycle earlier this year and had to take a ton of extra gym classes when I was little cause I couldn't walk right. Basically I'm an autistic gently caress, but I don't think this is the end. Just gonna have to get a car for now and work on balancing in the meantime. What I'm most upset about is how fun it is when you've got some speed but what can you do. Thanks everyone for the info and whatnot.

Its all good.

I got pulled aside (I still passed) with points I needed to work on once I started riding.

I also have severe balance issues due to severe ear infections and ear damage from when I was a kid. I basically Learned to compensate visually and with other muscles.

It took me about a month to "learn" the proper parameters and feelings. For leaning into turns, but I mostly got it now.

Point is, I learned and you can too.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
Had my first riding session today, we had a small class (4) so we got to ride a lot (the trip meter read 15 or 16 miles)

I got a lot of reminds of the keep your head up/look up, which I expected (I tend to stare at the ground as it is).

One thing I had trouble was counter steering, we did the weave and the ovals but I had a hard time getting the feel for it. I've driven scooter(s) in the past and ride bike regularly (so I know the lean for turning, etc) but I still don't understand the push-right-lean-right-go-right. Do you keep pushing through the turn? or is it just at the start? Do you literally push the handle bar forward? (wouldn't this turn the bike to the left?) or do you press more down and out (to force a lean). The instructor explained it to me but I couldn't get it in the last set of exercises. I watched some videos on youtube [1] [2] but I'm still confused.

Also, is there a way to get more practice?

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTQ02P4R3TM beginner guide
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuaYOv_Gmvk same guy counter-steering

Edit:
I rode in a dual sport because I was tall but I am looking for cruiser types, should I try to switch bike for the next (and final) session or stick it out with the dual sport (also it was really jerky).

Dr. Jackal fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 29, 2015

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Dr. Jackal posted:

Had my first riding session today, we had a small class (4) so we got to ride a lot (the trip meter read 15 or 16 miles)

I got a lot of reminds of the keep your head up/look up, which I expected (I tend to stare at the ground as it is).

One thing I had trouble was counter steering, we did the weave and the ovals but I had a hard time getting the feel for it. I've driven scooter(s) in the past and ride bike regularly (so I know the lean for turning, etc) but I still don't understand the push-right-lean-right-go-right. Do you keep pushing through the turn? or is it just at the start? Do you literally push the handle bar forward? (wouldn't this turn the bike to the left?) or do you press more down and out (to force a lean). The instructor explained it to me but I couldn't get it in the last set of exercises. I watched some videos on youtube [1] [2] but I'm still confused.

Counter steering doesn't work when you're going slow. Try going 15+ and then, while sitting up straight, gently push on one bar. Then gently push on the other. You should feel it.

Literally push the left handlebar forward to turn left. No, this will not make you turn right as long as you're going fast enough. Keep pushing as long as you want to keep turning. Push further/harder if you want to turn more sharply as this will make you lean more. I found proficient motorcycling to be a helpful book both generally and for understanding countersteering.

If you want to practice, get going on a bicycle and try it. It's a little less clear because the bike is so light that it's easier to use your weight to create lean angle but you should still be able to get a sense of it.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Dr. Jackal posted:

Edit:
I rode in a dual sport because I was tall but I am looking for cruiser types, should I try to switch bike for the next (and final) session or stick it out with the dual sport (also it was really jerky).

Ok, if you can get the instructor or someone else do this with you it might help make the connection. Have someone stand in front of the bike and lock their feet/legs tight on either side of the front tire while you're on the seat. When they have the front tire braced (they cannot be touching the handle bars), YOU take the bars and gently push/press the bar forward in the direction of the turn you want to make. You will feel the bike lean under you in the same direction you are pressing.

quote:

Do you keep pushing through the turn? Keep pressing through the whole turn. To keep the turn consistent, keep both the press and your throttle consistent.
or is it just at the start? If you stop pressing you will come out of your corner.
Do you literally push the handle bar forward? YES
(wouldn't this turn the bike to the left?) NO
or do you press more down and out (to force a lean). The handlebar only goes left/right, the "out" is the forward pressure.

While on the bike you need to be doing enough speed to get the feeling, generally above12 to 15 miles per hour.
When doing the cornering exercises, looking through the turn is one of the biggest benefits.

The jerky nature on dual sports (for the class) is generally due to them being a single cylinder and geared for low end power by comparison to the other cruiser-ish bikes. During the slow speed maneuvering either learn to use the friction zone a lot more(slipping the clutch) or try the exercise in second gear. Or for some try both second gear and slipping the clutch. Don't be afraid to slip the hell out of the clutch, it's made to do that, go for broke. The trick is being smooth. Generally the smoother you are on the controls, and the smoother the bike is, the much more enjoyable/easier the experience.

You can certainly ask to get on a cruiser if they have enough bikes or someone is willing to switch. But I usually discourage it. Mainly because the student is already used to the clutch and shifting on the bike they rode the first day. New bike means re-learning where the friction zone is and how the bike feels when it moves under you.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 29, 2015

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I found that taking one hand off of the bars and seeing how the bike reacts when you move the other hand solved the whole countersteering issue for most people.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

builds character posted:

Counter steering doesn't work when you're going slow.

Countersteering works at all speeds.

quote:

push the left handlebar forward to turn left.
This is countersteering. When you push the left side of the bar, you're steering to the right, and it causes the bike to lean left, so then you're going left.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Dr. Jackal posted:

Edit:

As much fun as it is to try out several kinds of bikes its usually best to stay on the same bike through the whole class. You will more than likely get your bearings easier and be able to pass the final test with ease on a dual sport. I finished 3rd in my class out of 8 people, but the two ahead of me were both on dual sport bikes. They had a much easier time with the box than I did on a Ninja 250.

Also the heads up thing is easy to remember... Look down, go down. Just repeat that to yourself. I still find myself saying that sometimes if I catch myself staring down too long.

Also ask your instructor if you can try another bike at the end of the class today. He or she will more than likely let you give it a lap around the track

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Dr. Jackal posted:

One thing I had trouble was counter steering, we did the weave and the ovals but I had a hard time getting the feel for it. I've driven scooter(s) in the past and ride bike regularly (so I know the lean for turning, etc) but I still don't understand the push-right-lean-right-go-right.

I think counter-steering is the one thing that makes new riders more confused and stressed out than they need to be. Have you ridden a bike above 10 mph? Then you already know how to counter-steer. There is value in eventually analyzing how it works and why it works, but for beginners, it sometimes feels like that old meme, "you are now aware of breathing in and out". You end up over-thinking it and screwing yourself up.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Goredema posted:

I think counter-steering is the one thing that makes new riders more confused and stressed out than they need to be. Have you ridden a bike above 10 mph? Then you already know how to counter-steer. There is value in eventually analyzing how it works and why it works, but for beginners, it sometimes feels like that old meme, "you are now aware of breathing in and out". You end up over-thinking it and screwing yourself up.

This exactly. I was so worried about figuring out how to do it that I couldn't do it.

Then, as I was going through a corner and had been distracted from thinking about it, I realized I was just doing it. You don't need to focus on doing it, your body kind of does it for you. Just think about doing a little press, and you'll feel it.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Minkee posted:

Also ask your instructor if you can try another bike at the end of the class today. He or she will more than likely let you give it a lap around the track

I will try this after my next (and final) class (next weekend).

Goredema posted:

it sometimes feels like that old meme, "you are now aware of breathing in and out".

I've ridden bicycles well over 10mph, but I've always initiated the turns with leaning and not with my hands, but if that's right I guess it's the confidence in my abilities issue that the instructor pointed out at the debrief.

Thanks for the advices, I will try the hold-the-wheel thing and go cycling and see.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I think it's hard to understand until you realize that counter-steering is a momentary action. You push the bars/grip in the "wrong" direction for just a half second, just enough time for the bike to sort of fall into the hole you created, and then the bars are steering in the other direction. It's hard to explain something that just sort of happens, but it helps a lot with avoidance maneuvers if you're aware of what to do instead of trying to panic-steer with your shoulders or feet. Once you actively use countersteering on the street, the bike changes direction surprisingly quickly.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Someone explained to me that understanding how counter steering works is not important and that I should not think about it. I took that advice for the first month of riding, and it was fine.

What made me realize how it worked was messing around with one hand at high speed; that makes it very obvious what your steering inputs are doing.

edit: Also, here's the best quick video to show what counter steering is doing. Ignore the commentary and watch the front tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyn8vxr8Og0

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe
Here's another video illustrating counter steering versus "body weight"/"leaning" when it comes to initiating a turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWuTcJcqAng

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Pretty sure all we've done is confuse the issue even more....again.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
just ride and you'll figure it out eventually... or you won't and you'll crash into a mailbox

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
RIP mailbox's helmet. Dead one year but still worn.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

nsaP posted:

RIP mailbox's helmet. Dead one year but still worn.

I'll probably get a new one.. just haven't decided if it'll be a full face or a dual sport helmet

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Whatever protects you're noggin, I'm for. You'll probably have one more crash before you chill, just that one where you overstep your ability, then learn from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Whatever it is you need a custom paint job of your avatar on that helmet. Or get a bunch of mailbox stickers to slap on your DRZ with the little Xs through them like kill marks on a plane.

• Locked thread