Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

... all of my issues with stalling and accidentally finding neutral could have been avoided. Jam up/down on the drat shift pedal like you mean it, and don't be afraid of the throttle...

I'm taking the MSF this week and I know this will be my biggest issue until I get a feel for the clutch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

xergm posted:

Yeah, I got that a lot better when I realized I just needed to keep on the throttle and let the clutch do the job. I think that's why I finally hit the box is that finally all clicked.

It was that way for me when learning manual on an '85 Honda Accord, empty streets and a few minutes of driving early on a Saturday morning. I really dig it when anything I am terrible at suddenly clicks and it becomes easy as pie in an instant. This feeling/phenomenon is kind of explained in the Spielberg movie Always.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

builds character posted:

I'm watching twist of the wrist 2 and holy poo poo this movie is fantastic. I love these two guys.

Is the DVD similar to the book as being an instructional guide to riding fast and safe?

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

builds character posted:

I haven't read the book but it looks like it. It's on YouTube and it's amazing.

Edit: at least the first 45 minutes is worth watching for anyone I think. I haven't gotten further.

Thanks. I will check it out.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

Relaxing was huge. The mental part killed me and i blew the braking test the first time. Reved the throttle as i applied the brake, panicked and let go of the brake and rolled through the brake box 15 feet too many.

I had been mugged at knife point that morning at 1 am, had not slept and was in no condition to pass the test.

Repeated two days the following weekend and it was a goddamn breeze. Every exercise was fun and it felt natural. I'm glad i got the extra time to practice and not psych myself out on a bad mood.

I got 6 points, mostly for not going fast enough and crossing the figure 8 box twice. Also i could have looked farther into a wide turn.

Sleep/eat/hydrate/relax.

Now i have a bike and am nervous/anxious to roll out of the drive way this week.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

nsaP posted:

A little bit is healthy. Find somewhere close to you with a few turns and little traffic to practice a bit. Cemeteries and parks can be good, or just little neighborhoods.

I have a few places 1 mile from me. It's my drat slanted/crowned driveway and living on a steep hill that concerns me. Just pushing my bike up the driveway was exhausting.

I will gopro my first ride for comedy purposes.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

What insurance levels you guys have? Ive got an older bike and am a new rider. For some reason motorcycle insurance seems more confusing than car insurance.

Maybe motorcycle insurance seems more likely to be used and thus the coverage levels are more important?

mrlego fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 21, 2014

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

Goredema posted:

My personal favorite for new riders is a book called "Proficient Motorcycling". I'm also a big fan of "Total Control" and "Twist of the Wrist."

That Hough book is great. I was at a wedding and mentioned to a stranger i was taking the MSF. He went home and brought Proficient Motorcycling and the sequel Book. I've also been watching Twist of the Wrist on youtube. Interesting stuff.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

builds character posted:

Just ride the clutch a ton and rev the throttle like a maniac on your hill and you'll be fine, I'd think. In that way motorcycles are way better than cars - you can ride the clutch like crazy so don't have to worry about stalling.

:Insurance Talk:

Thanks! Definitely have a lot to practice on my street hill. Stalled about ten times yesterday. I know i should be giving it more gas and less clutch.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

builds character posted:

More gas and more clutch!

By more clutch, that is holding the clutch in almost all the way?

Also, i figure it is easier to stop and hold place on a hill using the foot/rear brake. I have issues holding the front brake and rolling the throttle at the same time on a hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

rizuhbull posted:

3. It's 6-8 hours over two days right? Do we break for lunch or what?

Bring a sandwich or something easily portable. Our lunch and breaks were very short and i wouldn't have had time to grab food and chill. Also bring a liter water bottle. Motorcyclin' is thirsty business!

• Locked thread