Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Day 1: stared at a cone. Then I ran over it. Success!

Here are my thoughts -
1. Just doing exactly what the instructor tells you to do is a pretty easy route to success.
2. Counter steering is great.
3. Target fixation is not.
4. Don't look down.
5. Seriously, stop looking down.
6. Ride the clutch.
7. Rev the poo poo out of the engine while you ride the clutch.
8. Make "VROOM" noises while you do this; nobody can hear you anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

builds character posted:

Day 1: stared at a cone. Then I ran over it. Success!

Here are my thoughts -
1. Just doing exactly what the instructor tells you to do is a pretty easy route to success.
2. Counter steering is great.
3. Target fixation is not.
4. Don't look down.
5. Seriously, stop looking down.
6. Ride the clutch.
7. Rev the poo poo out of the engine while you ride the clutch.
8. Make "VROOM" noises while you do this; nobody can hear you anyway.

Victory! I am the best motorcyclist ever! Passed with no points off in the box. Pretty sure that was pure luck, but still, better lucky than good I always say.

We had a turn as part of the test but it was just the normal turns we'd been doing in class. So either it wasn't decreasing radius or all the practice ones were too.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

hot sauce posted:

Congrats on passing. It's a great time to find a deal on a bike right now fyi

Thanks everyone, it was pretty exciting. Is there a FAQ or the like on gear and bikes? Seems like from what I've read from the threads here it's basically 1 hour in-store try on for helmet with dot/snell/damnit just buy shoei and then wear lots of other gear from revzilla/motorcycle gear.com. On bikes it seems like it's just buy a ninja 250 and then get something else.

Angryboot posted:

Huh, I remember the right hander but didn't remember anything about it decreasing. Cool.

It didn't seem like it was decreasing much, if at all, to me. Probably because i amwe are so good at motorcycles. :hellyeah:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I'm watching twist of the wrist 2 and holy poo poo this movie is fantastic. I love these two guys.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

mrlego posted:

Is the DVD similar to the book as being an instructional guide to riding fast and safe?

I haven't read the book but it looks like it. It's on YouTube and it's amazing.

Edit: at least the first 45 minutes is worth watching for anyone I think. I haven't gotten further.

builds character fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 15, 2014

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

That is the moment in the film that led me to make that post!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

hot sauce posted:

I used their loaner half helmet for my MSF and it was fine. No rashes and it was more comfortable than wearing a full face the whole weekend for parking lot drills.

The place I went made you bring a bandanna if you wanted to borrow a helmet so I'd do that just for the sake of caution.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

mrlego posted:

I have a few places 1 mile from me. It's my drat slanted/crowned driveway and living on a steep hill that concerns me. Just pushing my bike up the driveway was exhausting.

I will gopro my first ride for comedy purposes.

Just ride the clutch a ton and rev the throttle like a maniac on your hill and you'll be fine, I'd think. In that way motorcycles are way better than cars - you can ride the clutch like crazy so don't have to worry about stalling.

Tanbo posted:

Comprehensive is highly recommended, it will cover theft, vandalism, acts of god, etc. Liability is legally required usually, covers damage to other cars/property if you hit it.

Collision is optional. Will cover your bike if you drop it or have a single vehicle accident (target fixate your way into a ditch). Though considering the rate hike if you file a claim it may be cheaper to fix it yourself. I opted to keep collision for the first year or two, and drop it after that (just started my second year last month, I'll probably keep it for another year, then drop it next fall).

Assuming you make it through the first month without doing anything stupid, and don't do dumb poo poo like drink and ride, you are statistically most likely to have an accident in your second and third years, that's the point when your confidence will exceed your skill level and you will push the bike too hard not realizing how close to the limits you are already, so keep that in mind and be careful.

Isn't it the first six months? Otherwise, I think your coverage levels should depend a great deal on your finances. If you have a huge beautiful mansion in bel air then you want a much higher level of liability than you would if you're living with family in that same mansion. For collision I'd base it on how good you are at fixing the bike and how much you scare (and I don't mean that in a bad way). If you're going to not ride ever again after an accident then you probably want the money you'd get for the bike from insurance because the rate hike won't matter if you cancel your insurance anyway. If, on the other hand, you can fix your own fairings/whatever else broke then you're far less likely to need/want to make a claim on your collision insurance. I'd get both, but that's more a reflection on my risk tolerance than anything else.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

mrlego posted:

Thanks! Definitely have a lot to practice on my street hill. Stalled about ten times yesterday. I know i should be giving it more gas and less clutch.

More gas and more clutch!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

DrakIris posted:

First range day is finished, sore. Was a utter blast though and well worth the cost :D

Good luck on the test tomorrow!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Doing my CBT tomorrow with ~some dude~, fingers crossed I don't start overthinking it and gently caress up something really simple :downs: (I probably won't but the brain I was born with demands I worry at least a little bit)

I found this pretty great primer on starting motorcycling in the UK which has been really helpful, so that's something.

Good luck!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

rizuhbull posted:

Finally got time off work and signed up for the MSF course this weekend at my local college. Paid the $200 and got everything I was told I'll need (boots that cover ankles, gloves, etc). Nervous but excited. Main purpose is to see whether motorcycles are for me; hoping they're as fun as they look.

Had three dumb questions:
1. If you drop your motorcycle even once, you fail, right? Are there other automatic fails? I'm terrified of dropping it through I don't really think I will (I'm small and weak!).
2. I assume you learn how to shift and whatnot, but do you ever go fast enough to need to during the two-days? Also do you ever leave the parking lot? I doubt it cause insurance reasons but figure I'd ask.
3. It's 6-8 hours over two days right? Do we break for lunch or what?

I'm here to answer your really important question: yes there is a lunch break. No, lunch is not provided so either bring cash if there's something local or bring food.

And no, you never leave the parking lot.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Dr. Jackal posted:

Had my first riding session today, we had a small class (4) so we got to ride a lot (the trip meter read 15 or 16 miles)

I got a lot of reminds of the keep your head up/look up, which I expected (I tend to stare at the ground as it is).

One thing I had trouble was counter steering, we did the weave and the ovals but I had a hard time getting the feel for it. I've driven scooter(s) in the past and ride bike regularly (so I know the lean for turning, etc) but I still don't understand the push-right-lean-right-go-right. Do you keep pushing through the turn? or is it just at the start? Do you literally push the handle bar forward? (wouldn't this turn the bike to the left?) or do you press more down and out (to force a lean). The instructor explained it to me but I couldn't get it in the last set of exercises. I watched some videos on youtube [1] [2] but I'm still confused.

Also, is there a way to get more practice?

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTQ02P4R3TM beginner guide
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuaYOv_Gmvk same guy counter-steering

Counter steering doesn't work when you're going slow. Try going 15+ and then, while sitting up straight, gently push on one bar. Then gently push on the other. You should feel it.

Literally push the left handlebar forward to turn left. No, this will not make you turn right as long as you're going fast enough. Keep pushing as long as you want to keep turning. Push further/harder if you want to turn more sharply as this will make you lean more. I found proficient motorcycling to be a helpful book both generally and for understanding countersteering.

If you want to practice, get going on a bicycle and try it. It's a little less clear because the bike is so light that it's easier to use your weight to create lean angle but you should still be able to get a sense of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Revvik posted:

Completed today, no points on the rainy test, felt like I was waiting for ever for this. Pretty depressed though; my dad went with me to get his for his retirement (he's 60). First day out on the field wiped him out and he dropped the bike twice. It was the Harley weekend (local CC classes filled up the day of scheduling), so we had the Street 500s with bumper bars all over them - so no harm done, but he was really discouraged.

He's down about it too, I'm thinking of ways to get his confidence back into it.

Also, those 500s are nice enough to pique my curiosity on a 750.

Get him a bike that weighs less than 500 lbs. Try for ~300. It will be lighter. That way when he wrecks he won't throw out his back picking it up.

• Locked thread