Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Is she genuinely unusually short? Do you know why she kept dumping bikes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Riding a pedalbike gets you accustomed to the riding position and over the panic of 25 MPH wind in your face with nothing in front of you. Riding at reasonable speed will help recalibrate yourself to the sensation of the centripetal forces involved in turning. I'm not suggesting it'll make you a great MC rider but at the least it should reduce the learning workload of the MSF class. It's also fun on its own merits.

Also I won't go all greeny froo-froo like Fixie Guy but there are plenty of good reasons to get a decent used yardsale / Craigslist bike over Wally World trash if the opportunity is available. I wouldn't buy new from a cycle shop unless you're sure y'all will pick up the hobby, the cost of entry is rather high, but it's worth having them tune up your tag sale special.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 2, 2012

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

nsaP posted:

If you drive on the right left turns are always wider, that could be a factor.

You also usually have better visibility, particularly in the twisty stuff. And if you take it a little tight you lean into the next lane instead of eating a lamp post.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Stugazi posted:

I am 99% more likely to ride like a dong for the first 5 minutes I get off the freeway as my brain is still doing 70 but traffic is doing 20.

Is this post highway rush something that becomes normal over time?

I do the same thing in a car, I think your mind adjusts to the relative velocities / reaction time and it takes a little bit to clock back down. It's more exaggerated if you drive like a dong on the highway in the first place.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
When the rear is locked and dragging, it can be pushed side to side but the drag will make it want to stay behind you. It is inherently stable. When you're spinning the tire on the throttle, it wants to outrun the rest of the bike, and the only way to do that is to come around the side. It is inherently unstable.

So a throttle slide can get the wheel out a lot further, and the further out it gets before regaining traction, the harder it snaps back once it does. It's the force vector perpendicular to the wheel rotation, not the parallel one, that is suddenly restored, that jerks the bike, and can hurl the rider.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The state tests always seemed to me to be really dumb and more designed to be performable in a crowded DMV parking lot than they were to be a check of safe riding competency. There was considerable draw with the MSF class that the test was designed yo be reasonably passable.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I'm not sure if it was discussed already in this thread (I know it's been done in other ones) but the ARC is basically just the BRC on your own bike. It's ok as a refresher but I don't know anyone who came out of it feeling like it was worthwhile.

Once you have some miles down something like Total Control (http://www.totalcontroltraining.net/) would probably be a better investment.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
He probably thought you were pretending to try to drag a knee, and doing that when you're not wearing pucks is a really bad habit to get into

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
And a really bad helmet will pop the visor open.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Oxford Comma posted:

So what's the deal with using the front brakes?

I avoided the front brakes on my mountain bike as much as possible, after flipping myself over the handlebars a few times. Yet CA has made me aware that using the front brakes is A Good Thing (except in turns, of course.) Also, what exactly is countersteering? If I lean my handlebars to the left, it ~magically~ makes the bike go to the right!?

Bicycle steering head angles tend to be practically perpendicular, so there's very little trail. The weight and momentum of your body is far and away the dominating factor in how the bicycle handles, and that weight is kept high up and generally as far forward as possible.

Even the most aggressive motorcycles have far more relaxed rake and trail than pedalbikes, which gives a lever effect in which to flip the bike (and the rider) forward, it must first lift them up, considerable more than on a bicycle. Compression of the front forks reduces this, but it does the same on a front-suspension mountain bike. Also, generally, the bike itself weighs more than the rider, and that weight is held down, so that the center of mass is as close as possible usually to the axis between the two wheel axles. The rider's weight is also kept further aft, dramatically so depending on bike style.

Of course the tire contact patches, brake systems etc are incomparable, but all in all you should not fear your moto brakes because your pedal bike likes to toss you.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

M42 posted:

Goddamn, this analogy is spot on.

No it isn't, energy beings possessing human corpum have a loving terrible time grasping basic things like breathing and pulse without prior explanation. We just write it off as 'electrocution'

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Pehaps his sheer frontal area and scraggly neckbeard presented too much aero drag even at parking lot speeds for the bike to punch through?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
If your helmet is moving and you had the strap even remotely cinched down right, the helmet isn't too small, it's too big. Generally you know a helmet is too small when you literally cannot cram your noggin in it at all. For future reference, a new helmet should be snug almost to the point of being painful, so when it breaks in it won't wiggle excessively.

Also, guys, don't sweat the U-box. I've been riding something like 8 years now and I don't think I could do it flawlessly. On real streets no one cares if you feel you have to drag a leg to pull a U-turn.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
A water-cooled Ninja 250 is one thing, an air-cooled Rebel or V-Star 250 is another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Bike clutches are designed to be slipping waaaaaaay more than a car (it's why the vast majority are wet clutches) and at the parking lot speeds you're at for the course, almost any bike is going to need some clutch slip. A little rear brake will also help. Resting your foot on the rear brake pedal is a bad habit you shouldn't pick up for real riding, but dragging the rear brake just a little will help calm the bike down.

Also keep in mind the MSF bikes are quite commonly going to be in terrible material condition that no respecting or safety-minded rider would ever let their own ride get into, so the clutch, brakes, throttle etc may be much harder to control than normal.

• Locked thread