Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

When putting the bike in neutral, keep a grip on the front brake and let the clutch out gently, so that if the neutral gear light is wrong you'll just stall the engine and not launch yourself off the bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Basically yeah. When I ride I've barely taken my foot off the ground by the time I'm in second gear.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

These are the low speed courses you get to do on the swedish test. The blue line isn't quite to scale though, you're allowed to go wide around the cones. This should be done at walking pace.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Ninja 650 is a fine bike to start on.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wet clutch, i.e. it's bathed in oil.

The clutch in a car is typically dry and if you slip it too much you wear out the friction plates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch#Wet_.26_dry

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I completely hosed up the first time I tried to get my motorbike license. I was 20ish and it just wasn't right for me at the time. I was nervous and made tons of mistakes during classes which culminated in me crashing on an onramp and breaking my foot. After that I said gently caress it, I'm not ready for this yet. It sucked, but if I had continued I would probably just have been a terrible rider even if I had passed and eventually gotten into a proper accident.

I let it be for a few years, then got myself a cheap 50cc scooter and practiced in parking lots just to get used to the feeling of being on a powered two wheeled vehicle. I used it to commute to work for a year, and then I felt a lot more ready for a big bike. I think being several years more mature at the time also helped.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

When I bought my first bike I picked it up in a city 110km away and rode it home on the freeway the same day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If you keep dropping your bike you should get a set of frame sliders and lever protectors and then practice more.

Remember the bike wants to stay upright when it's moving, so if you're falling over give it a bit more gas and it will straighten itself out. Also look where you want to go. Looking at the ground will put you on the ground.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 11:07 on May 28, 2015

• Locked thread