Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
Had my first riding session today, we had a small class (4) so we got to ride a lot (the trip meter read 15 or 16 miles)

I got a lot of reminds of the keep your head up/look up, which I expected (I tend to stare at the ground as it is).

One thing I had trouble was counter steering, we did the weave and the ovals but I had a hard time getting the feel for it. I've driven scooter(s) in the past and ride bike regularly (so I know the lean for turning, etc) but I still don't understand the push-right-lean-right-go-right. Do you keep pushing through the turn? or is it just at the start? Do you literally push the handle bar forward? (wouldn't this turn the bike to the left?) or do you press more down and out (to force a lean). The instructor explained it to me but I couldn't get it in the last set of exercises. I watched some videos on youtube [1] [2] but I'm still confused.

Also, is there a way to get more practice?

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTQ02P4R3TM beginner guide
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuaYOv_Gmvk same guy counter-steering

Edit:
I rode in a dual sport because I was tall but I am looking for cruiser types, should I try to switch bike for the next (and final) session or stick it out with the dual sport (also it was really jerky).

Dr. Jackal fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Minkee posted:

Also ask your instructor if you can try another bike at the end of the class today. He or she will more than likely let you give it a lap around the track

I will try this after my next (and final) class (next weekend).

Goredema posted:

it sometimes feels like that old meme, "you are now aware of breathing in and out".

I've ridden bicycles well over 10mph, but I've always initiated the turns with leaning and not with my hands, but if that's right I guess it's the confidence in my abilities issue that the instructor pointed out at the debrief.

Thanks for the advices, I will try the hold-the-wheel thing and go cycling and see.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Goredema posted:

Here's another video illustrating counter steering versus "body weight"/"leaning" when it comes to initiating a turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWuTcJcqAng

That explain how I was turning last saturday, and also why I couldn't really make the turns.
I noticed that I do this on my bicycle too, I steer right to make a left turn at speed (15mph ish). I'll have to practice this more.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
Passed! Thank for the advice folks. I did manage to play around a bit more with counter-steering while doing laps, should've seen my face when I figured out that you can adjust the lean angle more while leaning.

Time to go try on some bikes!

• Locked thread