Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
Hey! About to take the MSF this weekend. Been reading here and am rather excited. Read the thread, going to try [and probably fail] at keeping calm and just doing it, haven't really done any sort of powered-two wheels locomotion, and haven;t rode a bicycle in ages, but figure that shouldn't be much a issue. Would it be worth wearing the fullface I picked up over the weekend to MSF, or just stick with a loaner?

*EDIT*
Pending me not hating the class, I'm looking at getting a CB500f, anything and everything I've been able to find suggests this should be a fine starting bike, but anyone have any words of warning about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I will be the devil's advocate here and say that a full face helmet is not ideal for the MSF (harder to communicate with your instructor, unlikely to need the chinbar protection in a parking lot) and you're not wrong to consider the loaner. I would still probably prefer my own full face, but that's a personal preference.

That was pretty much my exact concern; weight and not being able to hear poo poo. If someone actually managed to get a rash, though... That makes just sucking it up and using my own all the more appealing. Need to break it in anyway.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
I suppose I'll just use my own, need to break it in anyway :D So loving excited, I can hardly get to sleep at night. Looks like the class will only be half full or so.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
I could have sworn the website showed their class sizes at 8, but if it's 12 and reduced by half then thats rather cool. I'm well aware that I need to keep calm, but we'll see if my preformance anxiety thinks the same. Currently enjoying the hell that is being a newbie to gear, on a budget. I have a feeling this will be less of a problem with time and experience with what fits me from whatever brands.

I'm intending to try and commute on it, which some nagging voice in the back of my head says thats a bad idea, but most of me us utterly excited at the prospect. Thanks for having what seems to be a pretty awesome forum about here, it's really kinda helping build and temper my hype

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

Z3n posted:

The best advice given on clutch control for new riders is "slip the clutch like you hate it", just ride the poo poo out of that point where it starts to engage until you've gotten moving.

That is going to take some getting used to coming from car transmissions.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
First range day is finished, sore. Was a utter blast though and well worth the cost :D

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

builds character posted:

Good luck on the test tomorrow!

Thanks! I'm loving exhausted, I work nights and this waking up in the morning poo poo is killer, pretty good time though and reaffirmed me wanting to get into this. I can't wait to finish and get the rest of my stuff together. Thankfully Austin tends to have mostly mild winters.
*EDIT*
I can now competently ride in parking lots! Also aced the u-turn box :smug:

DrakIris fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 26, 2014

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

Skreemer posted:

Congrats. Practice a bunch more and get some miles done. I'm up in Dallas where we have to really travel a bit to find some nice corners and roads. Down in Austin you at least have them "local".

Yeah I hardly feel all that *ready* from the class, but thinking on it it's a really, really good primer for "You know the rules of the road, have no loving idea how to actually ride a motorbike, HERE YOU GO, THE BASICS!" All around was a utter blast, even if I had to gently caress my sleep cycle up hard. Currently OCD planning to get decent enough gear on the cheap enough to start riding soon.

I keep wanting to travel up to Dallas because I'm a dirty raver and miss bouncing around all night spinning glowy poo poo. (The scene here is non-existent from what I can tell) Would be a wonderful excuse for distance riding when I have some confidence on freeways. Head up, find somewhere convenient to park/hide my bike, taxi/walk to sleep place after being a moron for a night and then find it in the morning. Or if sober AND not so tired that balance on is hard, take it to zzzzz place :V

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

Minkee posted:

Which school did you end up going through in Austin?
I went through Austin Moto Academy. They were some legit dudes.

Same people, and yeah they really are. Just working on getting on the pieces in place to actually buy my bike. So tense and antsy waiting D:

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
I think I might have pushed myself a bit (too) hard but managed to make it through okay, I just got my first bike today, it's damp and lovely and cold and I still did my first real on-road ride to get to work. Only part that were really freezing at the end are my hands, so I need better gloves but fuuuuuck was that a blast. Helmets need built in wipers some how :V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
It was more it was just one more detail to worry about when I was stressing about people and road and wet for the first time ever all at once. Was a blast though and I'm looking forward to my even colder ride home after work :p

• Locked thread