Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
[UK goon] looking at getting into bikes for commuting purposes because of those attractive mileage numbers and the relatively attainable up front cost (plus I don't foresee having anywhere to park a car for like the next 15 years at least).

Is there anything in particular I should know/do/have before calling up my local CBT provider, or should I just quit stalling and go for it?

Mostly I'm leery of accidentally picking a bad school, my first car driving instructor was completely awful and gave me a ton of bad habits, and I didn't really become comfortable on the road until after I totalled my parents' Micra and quit driving entirely for over three years :v:

e/ this is an experience I would like to not have to repeat on a bike, is what I'm saying

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Doing my CBT tomorrow with ~some dude~, fingers crossed I don't start overthinking it and gently caress up something really simple :downs: (I probably won't but the brain I was born with demands I worry at least a little bit)

nitrogen posted:

Here is an example of the one for Texas, in the USA. I am betting most of the skills you need are the same, except for a few (namely which side of the road to ride on!)

I found this pretty great primer on starting motorcycling in the UK which has been really helpful, so that's something.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Welp, that was loving brilliant :woop:

I was a bit nervous doing circuits in the first half, but the instructor said my clutch control was pretty good for a first timer. Didn't really help that the lot we were in was on a slope, so it was clutch almost fully in one way and mostly out with an unnerving amount of throttle the other. I get that I should have been giving it more throttle and riding the clutch, but overcoming muscle memory in under an hour is kind of hard, and the hill made finding the biting point an extra pain (plus letting out the clutch with the brake on doesn't make the bike dip/lurch the way my small car does, stalled a few times thanks to that)

We ended up leaving the YBR 125 in favour of some kind of scooter for the on-road bit so that I wouldn't get centipede's dilemma halfway through and get in a mess, which turned out to be a great idea because without having to learn two new things at once (i.e. different clutch/gear configuration, and just being on a bike and getting used to shoulder checks etc.) I had a great time and finished the road section with a big stupid grin on my face. :D

I was expecting to have to put a lot more concious effort into steering, but it really does just go where you look. I don't regret getting a solid theoretical knowledge of countersteering before starting though, there were a couple of mild panic situations I definitely would have hosed up otherwise.

Next step is shopping for gear and finding something small and cheap I can tool around local back roads on to get my clutch control down pat, after which I'll probably look into focused direct access lessons so I can go straight for my cat A licence.

tl;dr: I like biek :toot:

• Locked thread