Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

dreggory posted:

Passed the MSF last weekend. I grew up around bikes thanks to my dad, but hadn't so much as sat on one in 15+ years. Finally 'getting it' after the first few hours on the range was a pretty fantastic feeling. :)

And yeah, gently caress that box. I had full lock on the handlebars, scraping the foot peg, and I still crossed outside by about 6 inches on the second U.

What kind of bike were you on? I also passed the course this last weekend. The box was super easy on the bike I had-- it was a Honda CRF. It was really forgiving, I was able to shift up into 2 and complete the box with like 2 feet to spare on the boundaries.

And yeah, holy crap what an amazing sensation it was riding around for the first time. Resisting the urge to take off was so hard after I started getting the hang of it.

Surprisingly, our test only consisted of 4 exercises:
-The Box (figure eight u-turns)
-Swerve
-Quick Stop
-Timed SLPL through curve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Safety Dance posted:

Low displacement dual sports are easy mode for the MSF. Not to downplay your having passed, but they're really forgiving.

No yeah, I totally agree. It was ridiculous how maneuverable and controllable mine was compared to the CBRs and Rebels

poweroverhelming
Cheat enabled!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
What nsap said. When I took my MSF earlier this year I sperged out over every little detail and watched a ton of videos and read a lot of tutorials. Only to find come MSF time that none of that really was necessary. Just clear your mind and listen to what the instructor's are telling you and ask questions if you have any.

The way the MSF is set up is very intuitive for someone learning from zero knowledge of how a motorcycle is ridden.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The MSF doesn't teach you how not to run into mailboxes though. So keep that in mind.

Yeah, it's curriculum is definitely sorely lacking in that regard.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
just ride and you'll figure it out eventually... or you won't and you'll crash into a mailbox

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

nsaP posted:

RIP mailbox's helmet. Dead one year but still worn.

I'll probably get a new one.. just haven't decided if it'll be a full face or a dual sport helmet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

xanif posted:

some bullshit

It sounds like you're just trying to do the MSF drills on your SV. Stop doing that. Don't waste anymore time doing the MSF drills. You're trying to replicate drills that were designed with 250cc motorcycles in mind when instead you should be familiarizing yourself with what is an intermediate level bike's characteristics. Go to a parking lot and figure out how to do the following on your bike: 1) Turn at speed (countersteering) 2) Brake reasonably quickly 3) Launch without stalling (learn that friction point and gas that bitch)

Once you can do these without loving them up go ride around streets and take it easy. Keep riding around until you feel comfortable.

If you keep dropping the bike maybe you shouldn't ride.

• Locked thread