Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Day one of the MSF BRC Complete today. Was rather fun and nobody dropped their bike at all!

People do, however, have the annoying habit of stalling routinely mid exercise trying to shift and holding up the line. The exercise of shifting from second to third and then back down turned into something that needed to be set to Sabre Dance, but other than that everything was fun and not to bad.

The bikes are all new Honda Rebels (gently caress this thing. Turning the bars to lock drives them directly into my patella and makes those 90o turns a right loving bitch).

Bonus Points: We had someone on the instructors poo poo list before class even began. Dude rode his bike to the class and only has a permit. Tee hee.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Day two complete. Everyone in my class passed. Scored 100 on the written test and got 0 points in the field eval. :black101:

I'm officially licensed to drive headfirst into a tree now!

Edit: Day one of having my big kid license. Did not crash into a tree! Score!

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 12, 2013

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Ninjajebus posted:

Day 2 just finished.

One of the girls from the day before didn't show up. For the most part the day was uneventful, there were about 5 or 6 dropped bikes, by three of the ladies.

Afterwards they made them sign some papers, does anyone know if they will have to pay for the damages? I thought a big part of the appeal of these classes were that you can drop the bikes without a big deal. One of the trainers got pretty pissed at the last one and threw a cone.

The only exercise I had trouble with was weaving the cones, I was doing it in first gear, but I was told later that 2nd would have been easier.

The weaving exercises are significantly easier if you shift up into second. Throttle is way less twitchy and you can maintain/increase speed as you go through them.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

It's less "never having to make a u-turn" and more you will never make two consecutive u-turns in a 12ft wide space basically ever. I did the box in first gear at idle just counterweighting and jacking the bars to lock. Works fine, accumulates zero points, and sets you up for a nice speedy shift into second to do the swerve after (assuming that all courses do both those exercises at once for the eval, mine did.)

E: The rebels they had for my course had so little room in the friction zone that bothering to rev up and control speed with the clutch in second was drat near useless.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 16, 2013

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I don't think I've ever hit the brake with more than two fingers but YMMV. Also I find it funny that the MSF course moderately contradicts the NYS Motorcycle learners manual. The instructors tell you not to hold a hand over the brake when you know you're going to have to stop, the NYS manual tells you to cover the brake any time you fell you may need to stop suddenly. I get the purpose of the don't cover the break rule is EMERGENCY BREAKING and all that, but on the road not once have I had to put myself or be put in a situation where I didn't have the ability to realize "Uh oh, this might be a bad spot" and prepare to clutch and brake. Basically just make sure you don't cover the brake lever for the course and then resume normal brain activity once you hit the road.

My class had several people who were riding bikes without licenses as well.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 20, 2013

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

for sale posted:

Did my first day of msf today, too. I feel like an idiot because I have no experience with stick shift anything and I kept stalling out in first and braking because I didn't "get" clutch control for the first hour or two. Also, I might be wrong but as a guy over six feet i'm not sure if the only ninja 250 on the lot was the best fit. Here's hoping tomorrow things will fall into place more, since I really did enjoy the riding part!

As a fellow person over 6ft tall let me tell you one thing: gently caress the Honda Rebel 250. The ninja isn't any better either. 250cc bikes can all get stuffed.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Already own a GSX-R600. gently caress the haters ride supersports errday. :smug:

hot sauce posted:

I'm 6'1 190 lbs and I fit comfortably on my Ninja. I will admit most other bikes I've sat on have been more comfortable, but I've never had a problem on the lil 'ja, even on 300 mile days.

6'4" 275lbs. 250ccs and I don't jive real well. Sitting on the ninja I'm comfortable enough but it is sloooooooooooooow.

e: I mean don't get me wrong. Fresh out the MSF ride whatever you're comfortable on. 250 bikes just feel like I may as well be on a scooter and out of all the bikes I rode before I purchased I enjoyed the suzuki the most.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 19, 2013

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Pope Mobile posted:

As usual, I'm going to suggest the V-Star 250 as a beginning bike for tall riders. I'm barely 6' and loved the fit. Plenty of power for highway speeds and acceleration. They finally but better bars on it too.

Unless you weigh more than 150#s in which case get a CBR500R or an SV650. Or a Ninja500, or anything that won't feel like a two-wheeled lawn mower.

Seriously as a 6'4" guy at 270lbs this is how I feel on any 250:

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 5, 2013

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

nsaP posted:

Indeed, i thought that's what was being discussed. I rode a Rebel around the block when looking for my first bike and the handlebars hit my knees.

This was my entire experience taking the MSF. I could not do the box without sticking my leg on the inside of the turn straight out away from the peg because the bars jammed directly into my knee cap.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Stopped by the local course and chatted with the instructor for a bit. Watched the peoples go round and round for a while.

Only 3 cones fell casualty to target fixation. A Good Day!

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

My wife took the course two months ago with the updated curriculum. Honestly from talking with her and the instructor they didn't change much on the field portion. It was a lot of restructuring the class segment.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Those little MSF bikes, in my experience, tend to be jerky as hell in first. Once you get up into second and third it's a big improvement.

Work on feathering the clutch more. It'll help a lot.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

Also keep in mind the MSF bikes are quite commonly going to be in terrible material condition that no respecting or safety-minded rider would ever let their own ride get into, so the clutch, brakes, throttle etc may be much harder to control than normal.

This isn't true whatsoever. The bikes are routinely inspected and if they're crashed they're repaired or replaced. Our state MSF division is pretty on-fuckin-point when it comes to safety.

At least here in WNY.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Whatever it is you need a custom paint job of your avatar on that helmet. Or get a bunch of mailbox stickers to slap on your DRZ with the little Xs through them like kill marks on a plane.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I literally wheelied out of the MSF and immediately did triple digits on the ride home over a major freeway while 6 police cars exploded behind me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

T-Shirt and Sandals.... what are you some kind of nerd?

• Locked thread