Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Grimes posted:

I have to wait for a new radiator to arrive for my SV-650s anyways (transporting accident :unsmith:) but the actual riding was fun. When the instructor wasn't around I felt in control and confident on the bike, but as soon as he returned I tensed up.

I don't know if it was my bike or what (Honda Nighthawk) but shifting up was goddamn hard. It was literally hard, as in I had to loving crank my foot up to not end up in Neutral from first. Is this pretty typical? When shifting, do you typically lift your entire foot up?

When I took my MSF course, August 4th and 5th, I was on a bike that had an identical shifting problem. I kept complaining about it, but the instructors insisted I was simply unskilled in shifting a manual transmission. On the bike I had I would literally have to smack it up as hard as I could with my foot to make it shift up. To downshift I would have to pick my butt up off the seat and my entire foot off the foot peg, then stomp down as hard as I could.

That bike had a lot of issues and, during my test, it ended up shooting out from under me while [I thought] it was in neutral and my hand was off the throttle. Initially I failed the test because we're not supposed to drop the bike during the test and they had their back turned to me; but the rest of the students, who had seen the incident, vouched for me. When they inspected the bike they determined it did have issues so they gave me another bike to finish my test on. (I passed)

[/rant] Sorry about the rambling, anyway - your MSF bike may have issues from the abuse it's seen from previous students. Just try to work around it unless it is potentially going to cause you injury. Your personal bike, however, should shift pretty easily. I have a Honda Rebel 250 that I ride around town and it shifts pretty easy and naturally. Occasionally I'll accidentally shift it up into neutral instead of second, but that's a non-issue that takes half-a-second to correct.

TL;DR - in my experience your MSF bike may suck but your bike should shift naturally (you should need to lift your toes all the way up, but not forcefully or uncomfortably)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Skreemer posted:

Take the ARC course, intro to trail braking, getting away from the whole "outside-inside-outside" is the only way to corner, and learning to get up over the tank using your weight and body position... Only a 1 day class and it was a ton of fun.

I am planning on taking it when it cools down - like in January. It will have been about six months and the cooler weather will be nice. Taking those classes in the heat of the Florida summer is no way to learn how to ride a motorcycle.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

rockcity posted:

Oh I can attest to that as I just took it three weeks ago in Orlando. It was goddamn miserable, mostly given the fact that I don't have any jackets that breathe at all. A couple people had armored mesh jackets that they said help a lot. I sweated buckets during that whole class and kept getting sweat on my sunglasses and having to clean them. Plus anytime you get off your bike to go huddle up and discuss something, you'd come back to a lava hot seat, accompanied by the instructor saying "those seat warmers are free of charge with the class."

I have an armored mesh jacket with zip-in winter liner that I wore. The mesh does help a lot, but only when you're moving - which isn't enough during the BRC.

To those preaching long-sleeved shirts; I did that my first day, too. I had it on, with the sleeves rolled up, under my armored jacket. At one point I tested my theory and took the jacket off and just rolled down my sleeves; that didn't help worth a drat.

The second day I ended up wearing an a-shirt and whenever we weren't touching the bikes I would take off my jacket and pour water on myself. That still didn't help, but it was a hell of a lot better than sweating in a light, long-sleeved shirt and/or the mesh jacket.

DJCobol posted:

Thats what I did. However, there were 4-5 guys wearing long sleeve under armor shirts.

Passed the course earlier and just got home to check craigslist and what do I see? Orange SV-650 for sale on the other side of town. WHEEEEEEE!!

Awesome! Congrats on passing the class and let us know how it goes with the 650.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

DJCobol posted:

Didn't get the orange one. Got a red 2006 instead!

http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/3209373649.html

That posting has been deleted.

Post pics asap or we'll beat you in the head with a stick.

Also, congrats on your new bike.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Oh that's reeeal nice.

Congrats!

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Clevermuldoon posted:

Thankfully after some practice today on my bike her confidence is back up and she's almost ready to tackle the course again.

May we ask: what in particular was she having (an) issue(s) with? Perhaps we could provide advice to help her on her way more effectively.

Glad to hear she's doing better, though!

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

An observer posted:

Here is my Ridiculous MSF Getup

The only thing that I feel is iffy are the jeans, they're not very heavy duty (straight up everyday skinny jeans). What are my chances of getting turned away if I wear those? Fuckin Dickies don't even make jeans in my size man

When I went to my course they just had to be ankle length pants. Jogging pants would have been fine.

That looks good!

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Z3n posted:

See if next time you can request a different bike...it might be that bike that has a really stiff clutch action, making it hard to modulate, or it might be that you need to work on your grip strength a bit. Wouldn't hurt to grab one of those hand resistance trainer things.

Also, do some mental review of what you're doing on the bike, mentally going through the steps is a really useful technique to help you build comfort with new things.

I going to say Z3n is right on the money on the first issue. The bikes at most MSF courses are just plain... bad, I suppose, is a nice way of putting it. The fact is that a lot of students have to use that same bike and the course operators can't afford to replace the bikes when they really should. My MSF bike had a lot of issues - it wouldn't shift and it took off twice while it registered in neutral (I am guessing it slipped into gear) and with my hand off the throttle - and I ended up getting another one to test on halfway through my final exam.

If you're of at least less-than-average strength you should still be able to easily pull in the clutch on your bike. But, if you regularly have trouble opening bottles of milk or water then, yeah, maybe strength training is the better route to go.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor
I'd love to practice on one of the simulators, too.

Don't be put off by how unrealistic a lot of the emergency situations are, though. It isn't nearly that bad out there. Sure, there's always the chance of a kid running out into the street and I've had a couple of people pop doors open right as I'm approaching or cars back out on me; but, I'd say in a week of riding daily, it happens maybe five or six times; not the thousands of times an outing the MSF preps you for.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Sagebrush posted:

The part around 2:35 where he's not maintaining consistent lane position, crosses a solid white line, leaves his lane entirely, enters the acceleration lane for no reason and then actively steers right into the side of a truck, then calls that a "very typical situation". :what:

I, too, got a kick out of that. A newbie who drives that poorly deserves what they get. I particularly enjoyed how he had full seconds of reaction time wasted just staring at the side of the truck as he just continued to steer into it. I was like "swerve idiot!" :ughh:

AbsoluteLlama posted:

They back off when they see his permit? Whenever someone talks about carrying a handgun they pretty much always go on my poo poo list. It's not something to talk about unless you are an rear end in a top hat and/or have a tiny dick. I don't care if you carry a handgun, just don't be all :smug: and keep that poo poo to yourself.

I almost signed up for a BRC, but decided I should probably wait until I can actually use a motorcycle. I have surgery coming up in Dec, and again a few months after that, so no motorcycle for me :( It'd just sit in a parking garage for 8 months. Any Seattle goons know about the subsidized courses? I already have a motorcycle endorsement from my previous state, but can I still take a subsidized class when I already have an endorsement?

In response to the weapon part: I'm a gun guy who carries my EDC with me everyday everywhere I go (except school) and I'm so this ^^^

Just shut the gently caress up about how you're locked and loaded. No one cares - actually, plenty of people do care: the anti-gun people. When you carry your weapon and can't shut up about it the anti-gun people say "See? If we let them carry guns they'll just use them to intimidate people!"

Lothire posted:

Success! I completely and utterly bombed the figure 8-like test, however. Feels bad. Thinking back on it, I keep wanting to lean and I don't think that's the time for it. Truthfully, I have a very hard time not moving my body in relation to the bike, like when we need to double counter-steer to do a swerve. Suppose to keep my body upright but I tend to bend my torso around, no idea why I have that instinct. On the positive side, I was praised for scraping my peg on the cornering test. Good speed, good posture, was my best cornering work. Again, no idea why. I figure I just have a good feel for it.

My legs feel like paper, but I'm so happy to have done this. Motorcycles were such a mystery to me. It feels crazy to have gone from so little knowledge to full on motorcycle endorsement in just two days. Road riding is going to be different for sure and there's still a bunch of things I'm not even thinking about like lane positioning and such. But at least I'm aware of those things and have plenty of reading materials for when the time comes that I can devote brain power to it.

Feeling really good right now. Gonna need to last me, my bike fund is still gonna need a few months to get up there!

*Forgot to mention, the old harley guy? He did great the whole time. But we were having a discussion on one of the breaks talking about tailgaters/aggresive drivers. His response? "For those guys, I carry a concealed weapon permit. I just lift my jacket up a bit like this and those guys back off." That was a serious :wtc: moment.

:munch:

As someone who was in your shoes just this past August, let me just say:

Welcome.

It gets easier.

You now represent not only yourself, but the entire motorcycle community.

Don't embarrass us.

And remember to loving wave when you pass another biker, even if they don't wave back. Just because they're being a dick doesn't give you an excuse to reciprocate.

Be safe.

But most importantly: Have fun.

Wulframn fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 29, 2012

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Sagebrush posted:

If it's safe. I don't wave if the traffic situation is complex, and I don't feel snubbed when a guy on a bike in traffic fails to wave back, because I know that he also is dealing with at most a second or two of buffer zone and needs all the reaction time he has.

Sorry, I thought that was implied.

Lothire: Listen to Sagebrush on this one. Other bikers will understand if you don't wave because you're in a complex situation or you're in a corner or just need to keep your hand on the clutch. (like at a stop light)

I was referring more to those newbies who have a death-grip on their handlebars and won't let go long enough to wave. Waving encourages you to relax and enjoy yourself. Which reminds me...

Do not cling to your loving bike. It seems like virtually every newbie does it. I did it at first. You will learn to motorcycle better the sooner you can relax. It is not a wild dragon that is going to buck you off of it and then start trampling you. Do not cling. Do not cling.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Safety Dance posted:

I don't think any serious motorcyclist hasn't had a 0-5 mph "Oh god that was embarrassing" parking lot off.

One time I forgot to pop my kick stand.

Hopped off, turned around, *crash*

FUUUUUUU

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Khashie posted:

Although I failed two weeks ago, you guys motivated me into going this week. Wish me luck (I never rid a bicycle so that probably had to do with it ).

What part did you fail on?

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

nsaP posted:

I know I must have seen the thread in a Perfect Storm of you, Wulfram and z3n all being afk somehow. Amazing.

Good job, indeed. You did such a good job I spent all of 30 seconds to make you this special prize:

Z3n posted:

One of us. ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

Are you implying I am one of you, as well?

'Cause I kind of imagine myself as a god riding among mere motorcycling mortals. A sexy fast velociraptor god. And instead of thunderbolts I have a .44 magnum.

Loaded with thunderbolts.

Wulframn fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 3, 2012

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

AncientTV posted:

Gaddamn, I always mash mine, both ways. I hope that it was more the crappy transmission that did it in :stare:

I have an '87 Rebel and I mash the hell out of my shifter half the time and never have an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor
I have a Rebel 250 and don't lack for power and speed when I need it for every day city riding. Out on the forest roads I sometimes wish I had a little bigger, heavier bike. Have yet to hit the interstate.

• Locked thread