Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Congrats to the new goon riders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

xergm posted:

Yeah, I got that a lot better when I realized I just needed to keep on the throttle and let the clutch do the job. I think that's why I finally hit the box is that finally all clicked.

Congrats!! :unsmith:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Drone Incognito posted:

Quoting myself for a trip report saying I passed! The class was 5 experienced riders (one Harley guy who had to let everyone know Loud Pipes Save Lives, but who otherwise a great guy and was extremely supportive) and three newbies. I did get 18 points docked though. Lost them on the box, for going too slow on the cornering, and for not making my quick stop fast enough. It rained both range days so I think I was just too cautious because of the rain, which turned out to be the somewhat smart thing since the two other inexperienced guys grabbed the front too hard and dumped the bikes on the quick stop. All in all I learned a hell of a lot and think it should probably be mandatory in the other states too. So next spring you'll have another goon to harass in the asylum.

Unrelated: My dad's friend has a really well taken care of 2007 Ninja 650 that he is willing to sell me. Assuming I don't go balls to the wall, is that a bike appropriate for a beginner?

Hey CT buddy: :hfive:. PM me if you want to meet up for a ride before it gets too cold (if you get a bike :v:)

Ninja 650 is fine first bike. Just be smooth on the throttle, especially while leaned over.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 17, 2014

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Wet clutch, i.e. it's bathed in oil.

The clutch in a car is typically dry and if you slip it too much you wear out the friction plates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch#Wet_.26_dry

A lot of BMWs still have dry clutches; Ducatis too, I think. I don't abuse my clutch, but I don't cry either about using it to help me when it's needed.

Goredema posted:

That's exactly how the experts say to do it: use the rear brake / foot brake to hold the bike in place, give it gas, start to ease off the clutch, and then as you feel the bike start to straing forward, slowly ease off the rear brake. As with all control inputs on a motorcycle, the key is to not grab anything. Just gradually ease in each lever or throttle or foot control, and then ease it out. It's all about being smooth with control inputs.

I do the same. It takes a little practice, but is the best way to start on a hill. I'm still not fully comfortable with it 2-up, but I don't ride 2-up very often.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Check the weather too. Day one of my MSF class was in a downpour and some people didn't have any waterproofs.

• Locked thread