Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

It's all about the clutch control, rev it up to about 3k-4k and slowly let the clutch out while increasing the revs (the revs will drop as you let the clutch out, even if your speed is increasing). When starting from a stop it may take me up to 3-5 seconds to fully let the clutch out, more if I'm making a sharp turn. When upshifting, let off the throttle slightly, not all the way, just a bit. When downshifting, increase (or blip) the throttle in order to match the revs with road speed.
Here's a good video showing how to manipulate the fiction zone. CaptCrash makes lots of good videos, I watched almost all of them when learning to ride and it was a great help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdMGeiNmYwM

Not sure about your balance issues. Are you looking at the ground when it happens? You're gonna go where you look, if you're looking down you're gonna go down. Riding slowly is difficult, ride the rear brake, it helps stablilize the bike greatly and relax your hands/arms, it's rider input that will make the bike wobble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

They didn't even tell us when we were doing the testing portion, just did it.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Comprehensive is highly recommended, it will cover theft, vandalism, acts of god, etc. Liability is legally required usually, covers damage to other cars/property if you hit it.

Collision is optional. Will cover your bike if you drop it or have a single vehicle accident (target fixate your way into a ditch). Though considering the rate hike if you file a claim it may be cheaper to fix it yourself. I opted to keep collision for the first year or two, and drop it after that (just started my second year last month, I'll probably keep it for another year, then drop it next fall).

Assuming you make it through the first month without doing anything stupid, and don't do dumb poo poo like drink and ride, you are statistically most likely to have an accident in your second and third years, that's the point when your confidence will exceed your skill level and you will push the bike too hard not realizing how close to the limits you are already, so keep that in mind and be careful.

• Locked thread