Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Lothire posted:

Had a three hour book and movie class last Thursday, nice group of people. I'm now four hours away from the first riding portion and I can't get a wink of sleep. Mostly excited.

I got there early before class and played that simulator game. GTA games are less lethal than the bullshit that game throws at me, I ended up never going out of first gear for fear of a little child running across the street to jump into a semi truck just to open the door on my rear end. gently caress. At least I got familiar with where the starter/etc is now.

Where are you taking the class in WA? The simulators have got me curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Lothire posted:

My legs feel like paper, but I'm so happy to have done this. Motorcycles were such a mystery to me. It feels crazy to have gone from so little knowledge to full on motorcycle endorsement in just two days.

TheNothingNew posted:

Fellows, I want to thank you. I just finished day 3 of a four-day MSF, I am doing generally quite well, and most of that is thanks to lurking here for the last year or so.

These are the best kind of posts. :3:

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Captain Crunk posted:

Thanks for some perspective, you're right - it's been on my mind like a drat breakup!

Either way, I'll just spend the next week relaxing, and looking forward to passing this thing.

A couple things that are Oregon specific:
If you have a motorcycle learner's permit, you may only ride with another rider who's licensed (on two bikes, lol). I don't know any other riders well enough to ask them to drive to my place to "pick me up" so we can ride. Considered getting it and riding, anyways. Still might.

Team Oregon (which is our own MSF thing) is the ONLY way to get an endorsement in Oregon. There is no DMV test. This is a double edged sword, on the one hand all riders are well trained... on the other Team Oregon doesn't have the same availability for test taking as the DMV.

IMO, 3 weeks of wait for a test is ridiculous.
The permit thing should change as well. I've found myself in a catch-22: I want to practice some more, but unless I know another rider, I can't practice legally.

Drop me an email: matthewkmayer at gmail.com

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Skreemer posted:

What state are you in (Oregon?) In the MSF they purposely don't use the tall cones except as range edge markers (not the end of the area we use as the range but the EDGE OF THE RANGE as in you're off in the weeds/whatever next) so people don't clip them. That and the cones being huge people tend to fixate on them. At least in Wisconsin they only use the tall cones in the "ultimate bike bonding course", and that's because a lot of folks forget on sport touring bikes the bags tend to stick out beyond the front fairing.

I teach for the two states using Team Oregon's curriculum and we don't swerve around big cones in our Basic and Intermediate courses. They're mostly used as pivot cones which students go around in a big arc.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
It will greatly vary by state. Some states, such as Washington, use contractors to provide training facilities and bikes. Some of those run on shoestring budgets so their bikes may be in rougher shape than state-funded and state-run programs.

I spent a year maintaining the bikes at a training site in Idaho. They were all in better mechanical condition and cleaner than my personal bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Razzled posted:

It sounds like you're just trying to do the MSF drills on your SV. Stop doing that. Don't waste anymore time doing the MSF drills. You're trying to replicate drills that were designed with 250cc motorcycles in mind when instead you should be familiarizing yourself with what is an intermediate level bike's characteristics. Go to a parking lot and figure out how to do the following on your bike: 1) Turn at speed (countersteering) 2) Brake reasonably quickly 3) Launch without stalling (learn that friction point and gas that bitch)

The listed drills are all included in motorcycle education classes.

Takeaway point should be "practice the fundamentals."

• Locked thread