Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
I think its the just the Blast. I had the same problem during my MSF. The clutch on my Ninja 250 feels a lot better than the Blast's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

You're not alone. I'm right handed and feel more comfortable with turning/leaning/going left.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

Even at the MSF going around in an oval, I was always more comfortable going counter-clockwise.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

Grimes posted:

Oh my god I'm terrible :smith: I am terrible at motorcycling even by the standards of someone who is having trouble. I'm seriously shocked at how much trouble I had with virtually everything. I kept accidentally giving the bike gas on the throttle when doing the slalom or even turning and I loving ran my bike into some shrubs. I was fine and so was the bike, but it almost seemed like an exclamation point on the day of "Oh my god, I'm bad at this and I don't know if I'm ever going to be good at it."

I don't know... :smith:

Dude, you're being way too hard on yourself. You're there to learn. No one gets on a bike and becomes an expert after a day on the course. And no one is an expert after passing the course, either. Far from it. As many have said before, passing the MSF qualifies you to ride around a parking lot. Learning to ride is a process that continues for a long, long time. Don't psych yourself out. If the instructors feel you're a basket case, they'll let you know. Unless that happens, just keep trying your best. Remember...this is supposed to be FUN.

From my own experience, I dumped my bike at the MSF on the second day when I locked up my front brake riding in a straight line no less. I wasn't even doing an exercise! I was riding to get in line! After that, I was really hard on myself, like you're doing, for the rest of the day and thought to myself, even if I pass, I don't think I'm going to ride because I was really doubting myself. I considered just turning around and selling my bike.

But I kept going at it and am a lot more comfortable riding and having so a lot of drat fun doing it. Every time I ride I'm a little more comfortable than before. After having my first bike for a little more than a month and 700 or so miles later, I'm having the time of my life.

Do I still get nervous sometimes when riding? Sure, I do. Do I make mistakes? You bet. But I know I'm still learning and that it will take a long, long, long time before I ever consider myself good at riding a motorcycle. But I am always safe and ride within my limits and realize I'm gaining good experience.

Just don't get discouraged. It would be a shame if you gave up before you have even really started.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

Congratulations on passing. If you don't feel comfortable with the road ride, then don't go. Stay within your limits. Riding is supposed to be fun, too. Do the parking lots and back roads like you said until you feel better about riding.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

An observer posted:

Here is my Ridiculous MSF Getup

The only thing that I feel is iffy are the jeans, they're not very heavy duty (straight up everyday skinny jeans). What are my chances of getting turned away if I wear those? Fuckin Dickies don't even make jeans in my size man

You are better protected than I was. I had some not-so-very thick jeans, gloves, hiking boots, and a full face helmet, but only a long-sleeve t-shirt. The instructors never said a word. And no injuries after I dumped my bike going 10 to 15 mph after being a dumb rear end. Don't worry about.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Read through the whole thread & appreciate the info. Saw a few posts cursing those summer classes.

Looking to do the Maryland BRC in August when have some scheduled leave. Am I asking for heat stroke or should I wait until October? I have zero motorcycle knowledge, but lots of experience in lovely, hot, humid areas of the world.

Also, any opinions on the Harley classes versus DMV classes (besides price) would be appreciated.

I took the Rider's Edge (Harley) class last July (Michigan). It wasn't too bad. I was having too much fun to really be bothered by the heat all that much. Just drink a poo poo load of water. Personally, I would take the August one despite the hot weather since you'll have more time left to ride before the weather turns to poo poo. I thought the Rider's Edge class was good except for the hour long Harley sales pitch/infomercial the first night of classes.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

Although not very ATGATT, I personally don't think any gear is necessary at the MSF other than boots, jeans, gloves, long-sleeved shirt, and a helmet unless your goal is heat stroke. No one in my class wore anything other than that. And the three people that crashed, including yours truly, were none the worse for it.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

My bad. I'm an idiot. Carry on.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

I feel bad for the kid that his parents obviously hate him.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

After passing my MSF last July, I finally ventured out on the freeway today. I wasn't bothered by the speed, but man, the wind on a naked bike, it felt like I was going to fly off, especially when I turned my head and the wind caught my helmet. Hope it gets better the more I do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

Am I remembering correctly that I'd you go out of the box once, it's the same amount of points no matter how many times you go outside the lines after that?

I guess my point would be if you go outside the lines once, don't push it or try to save it and put your foot down, which is more points.

• Locked thread