Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I just finished the basic MSF course in Vegas with the most badass instructor ever. She was the first female LAPD motorcycle cop, former professional baja racer, winning contestant on the original American Gladiators, and a current Goldwing technical competition rider:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBP3A8uJj70

I'm not sure if it was inspirational or just disheartening to see her effortlessly throw the Goldwing through the small box. It certainly didn't help me any.

My deductions on the test:
  • Going outside the lines twice in the box, something I did each and every practice time. I still have issues leaning the bike away from my body no matter how well I look ahead and how good my clutch control is.
  • Braking distance. I could have stopped in a much shorter distance if I had known the tolerance on the test. My very first practice emergency stop chirped the front tire a bit, so the instructor had me back off through the practice runs. A lot of us were under the impression that the braking had to be done in the entire stop box, not that it was measured compared to our speed and was significantly shorter than the box. (Why are there even cones at the end? Ugh.)
  • Barely letting off the throttle in the turn. I have no idea why that happened; I wasn't going too fast and thought I would have at most given a little clutch. It's also something that never happened in practice.

My entire class did much more poorly during the test than practice runs, myself included. Maybe we can blame two straight days in 100 degree heat.

Well, I passed by the skin of my teeth, so this means I am a fully educated and perfect rider in the eyes of the state of Nevada :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Skreemer posted:

Double U-Turn
What bike were you on? The Honda Rebels and the Yamaha Star 250s have a bit more rake to them than most standards. The front ends feel "floppy" until you get used to it. I can do the double u-turn with plenty of space to spare on every other bike we have, and including my Bandit 1250 and Bandit 600, I can do it on the Star and the Rebel, I just use more of the available space. Did you try the exercise in second gear? I find that first gear is a bit much and feathering the clutch while in second smooths that out quite a bit. The only other thing I can think of is using all of the available space. A bunch of folks after completing the first u-turn don't go all they way back to the line before starting the next turn. Constantly I see people put just the front wheel 6 - 12 inches on the other side of the line when they started two feet away from the opposite side.

Breaking Distance
You should have been told that it was an emergency stop and you needed to come to an immediate stop as quickly and as safely as you could. It's part of the instructions in the range course pamphlet.

The decreasing radius turn catches a lot of people out. Things to think about :
Were you at the "outside" when you started the curve? A lot of folks ride right down the middle to the breaking area and don't really "set up" for the corner by moving to the outside (to the left). The corner can still be completed but you're not giving yourself all of the available space and things feel "tighter".
Were you going faster than you felt comfortable? Combined with not "setting up" for the curve the feeling of "I'm going too fast and I'm running out of space", is the second culprit. Tipping into that corner everyone rolls into it like the 90* corner, and suddenly it's 135*. Instead of pushing on the bar a bit more and continuing to roll on the throttle a little, a lot of people let off the throttle and decelerate.
It was on an Eliminator 125. I got the feeling that I'd need a good 30 minutes of practice leaning the bike through low speed turns that I wasn't going to get in a group course. Several times, I'd lean my body toward the inside of the turn when I noticed I wasn't tight enough, which just makes things worse since I'm no longer counter weighting. I would have asked about some more practice time if I'd realized things would be so close to failing on the other portions. I figured that I'd likely get three points off for the box and be fine elsewhere. That ended up being five on the box and 13 elsewhere :sweatdrop:

She read the script on how we should stop as quickly as was safe, but we never got any guidance during training or practice that we were all going a bit too fast and stopping a bit too long, something she said we all did in the test with one or two exceptions who nailed it. I spoke to her about this a bit after and got the impression that they weren't supposed to give us much help on this before the test.

The decreasing turn was just a freak mistake. I had no issues at all through eight or so practice runs, other than setting my throttle for the turn later than the instructor liked at first (but still perfectly within the test parameters.) I think I just glanced at the apex instead of the exit and subconsciously relaxed my throttle hand a tiny bit. It was subtle enough that I was hoping she didn't catch it. She did.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I just kissed the outside of the box on the first turn and went a good foot out on the second. I believe I lost exactly the same amount of points as the guy who wandered 20 feet outside.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Counter-steering made sense to me when I read about it, but I never actually felt it until I tried to swerve back and forth on my motorcycle at speed and using only one hand. Things become very obvious when you try that.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Think of the lean angle determining where you're actually headed. The counter-steering determines how you lean.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Our instructor told us to cover the controls when we may have to stop quickly such as going through a sketchy intersection.

Then again, they also told us to use all four fingers on the controls. Some trail riding broke me out of that habit pretty quickly. Using two fingers is superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Someone explained to me that understanding how counter steering works is not important and that I should not think about it. I took that advice for the first month of riding, and it was fine.

What made me realize how it worked was messing around with one hand at high speed; that makes it very obvious what your steering inputs are doing.

edit: Also, here's the best quick video to show what counter steering is doing. Ignore the commentary and watch the front tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyn8vxr8Og0

• Locked thread