Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If you drive on the right left turns are always wider, that could be a factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I messed up the figure 8 as well in my class, it's an easy one to do. I've been riding for years now and I'm still cautious when turning that tight. At speed I'm comfortable, but I sometimes get that nervous stomach when tipping it over to do a quick U turn. You just have to practice with your bike and learn how to control it and be smooth when slowly turning tight.

I'd assume bikes with torque make this easier, I've mainly ridden high revving bikes.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
In general you'll only start in 2nd on accident, tho there are sometimes specific instances when you want a bit higher gearing to get going.

Actually, thinking of it I do start in 2nd on the street a couple places. Both are stop lights on a large downhill, where just picking my feet up gets the bike rolling. I find myself skipping second more than starting with it. On a 250 Ninja 2nd and 3rd are really close and on my 600 2nd is just a wasted shift when putting around town. Perfect for the backroads tho, 2nd is right in the power band @ 55mph.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 2, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
A lot more gas and a lot more clutch slipping.

If you're having problems stalling try breaking down the start process into parts. The first thing you want to do is find the friction zone of the clutch, the point where it starts to bite but doesn't completely engage. You should be able to do this with the bike stopped and without stalling. You'll hear the engine note drop a bit and the bike will squat a bit as it wants to go, but it won't. That's the magic zone for the bike, it's where you'll keep the clutch most of the time you're using it.

With the clutch at that point you start giving it gas, while keeping the clutch in the friction zone. On my bike, I might rev it to around 5k while slipping the clutch, then as the bike's speed comes up and the engine revs drop a bit and match the wheel, you fully let out the clutch.

Eventually you get to the point where you're giving it gas and letting the clutch out to the bite point at the same time.

The thing to remember with the clutch is it's not about letting it out fast or slow, it's about where you let it out to. There's three positions in general: Full disengaged (clutch all the way in), slipping (the friction zone or bite point), and fully engaged (lever out, clutch connected). How quick or slow you go from one to the other doesn't really matter for what you're doing, it's more important to have it in the right zone and not move to the next one too quickly. When an instructor says you're "letting it out too fast" they mean that you're going from full disengaged to fully engaged too quickly without spending enough time in the slip zone.

Slip slip slip. Get used to that friction zone and don't be afraid to stay in it. In a way you're probably a bit better off having never driven a manual car because you won't try to compare the two. I know some guys who drove manual cars before riding and they seem afraid to slip the clutch, but bikes and cars are different. Slip away.

edit: grammars

nsaP fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 3, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I know I must have seen the thread in a Perfect Storm of you, Wulfram and z3n all being afk somehow. Amazing.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
His advice would be right if you're looking at getting a cruiser.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
His bike is probably the equivalent of a modern 125.

I stayed off the highway my first season for the most part anyway.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'd try to avoid over thinking it and just do what you said earlier, let an instructor take the bike out and help you with any quirks it might have. When I took my MSF I was on a little 200 or 250 dual sport that was running so poorly that the throttle response was like a full second behind my input. Meaning I'd twist the grip, count "one mississippi" and then it might start to rev up. It made the slow parts difficult but I was able to pass.

Concentrate on the basics of the skills their teaching you and don't worry about being perfect at them yet, it'll come much easier when you get your own bike in decent shape.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Stugazi posted:

I have a CBR250R and it suits me just fine.

There is a lot of great advice in this forum but at the end of they day a bike is a personal choice. I wouldn't ride some of bikes people love in this forum anymore than they'd want to ride my 250.

Take your time and get the bike that is most fun for you. That's all that matters.

Speaking of fun, I feel like I've slipped into that dangerous zone of "experienced noob" on a bike. I've put 1,000 miles on and find myself riding like a dong more than I find acceptable. I don't want a reality check in the form of an off but I find that my judgement is getting progressively worse as I unconsciously slide into dong mode more frequently.

How do I literally check myself before I wreck myself? I have been using my gearing up time as a mental checklist to ride safe, than I get on the road and dong it up anyway. :(
You're either going to have a poo poo bricks moment, or maybe try finding sone more experienced people to ride with and get humbled.

Z3n posted:

The other thing that I find really helps is refocusing your riding into 2 separate types: You've got your "fun" riding, on roads with good conditions, and you've got your "safety" riding. Fun riding is the stuff above, safety riding is when you're going from place to place. Safety riding is all about managing risk, space cushion, prediction, and anticipation of those around you. Constantly running scenarios about what if that car pulled out in front of me, what if that person switched lanes, what if that person stepped out into the sidewalk, all of those things occupy the mental energy that would normally be committed to riding like a dong, and you're a safer rider for ingraining those habits.
That's good, I like it. I do that but never really thought about it. The only thing I'd add is remembering that safety mode ramps up at night.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 27, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It's definitely universal, most people I talk to feel the same way. The only way I've been able to answer why is that right handers are always tighter turns than left handers when driving on the right side of the road. There's not too much you can do about that obviously.

Maybe try to take a later apex on right handers? There's lots of bonuses to doing this on the street anyway and it won't make the corner seem so tight.

I guess an easy way to test my theory is asking any Wrong Side Drivers here if they are the same or opposite?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Stugazi posted:

I notice it the most at speed. Specifically there is an on ramp that has a left and right sweeper entrance. I am noticeably less comfortable during the right sweeper portion.

I do fine on it but I'd like to not think about it as I consciously try to not tense up so then I automatically tense up. =/

Could be like z3n said. I'd think if things like on ramps still bother you, you just need time and experience.

Highway on ramps and connecting ramps are the most fun I can have around here without hitting the backroads. They just repaved this one and it's great, I hit about 45 or 50 before turning onto it, hold around 80 thru the left hander then end up braking from nearly three digits thru the right to merge into traffic. Good visibility of the merging traffic helps too.

http://goo.gl/maps/oZ0mD That 180 is pretty good too, tho it has a split halfway thru and goes a bit off camber.

ed: http://goo.gl/maps/RWdLS Oh yeah this one too. The on ramp parallels the highway with plenty of room to get up to speed, then banks off right before coming back to connect, leaving some green space in the middle. I'm sure there's a reason for it, like storing equipment during repair work, but to me it looks like they just made a 2 turn race course.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 6, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Welcome, friend.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You want to let up on the rear and apply it again, but only if the back wheel is in line (or close to it) with the front.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Those guys don't have licenses....are you kidding?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If you're hanging off the bike and taking the tire to the edge you're riding too fast for the street. I don't hang off very far but my bike will scrape peg feelers before getting to the edge of the tire and that's riding averaging 60mph on some sweeper backroads.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
My buddy took the MSF with me years back then never really rode. He's thinking of getting into it now, the returning rider course would be good for him yeah? I told him he might even get away with lot drills himself and going over all the old stuff, but the bonus of someone watching him would be nice too. I could always do it for him in a lot, but I feel like I might instill my bad habits in him, or forget to tell him things because I don't know all the stuff the instructors cover.

Edit: Well he just told me the only returning rider classes start at 2 hours away from here so that might answer that question. It's pretty weird to me that none of the three counties in or around Cincinnati has a returning rider class. I'm counting full ones as well, there's nothing.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 21, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Skreemer posted:

Out in the wild hinterlands of Wisconsin they only have 3 schools that run anything other than the BRC. Mainly because there isn't enough people signing up for the class on a consistent basis. Though trying to be ahead of the curve those three sites do offer, the brc i and ii, ARC, the UBB "ultimate bike bonding" (police and gymkhana type maneuvers), and a trike course. (of course all of those schools are within an hour or two of Milwaukee.)

Makes sense, no use in having empty classes. As an instructor, is there any leeway in letting someone just do part of the BRC1? Meaning my buddy walks in and says "hey, I'm a returning rider, all the returning rider classes are full or 200 miles away, any way I can just do the riding skills portions with you?" or is there just no way of that happening? Driving 90-120 minutes just to see if there is a walk in spot is silly, but something tells me it'll be pretty bureaucratic and he won't be able to do that.

It's not too bad either way. I told him, worst case scenario is he just retakes the BRC and is bored for a while. With how they separate the class time vs. the riding time for the BRC vs. Returning Rider I'd be surprised if they can work something out but you never know.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yes.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
He's already got his M class from the first time he took the MSF. He's doing this purely because he hasn't ridden since then. He's just going to try to walk into a regular BRC and tough out the boring bits I think.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Texibus posted:

They made us wear safety glasses like the ones from home depot, sun glasses or prescription eye glasses even if you had a visor on your full face helmet. I don't know why but they did.

It's the law a lot of places. In KY you always need eye protection and a flipped up visor doesn't count. I've heard about helmetless scooter riders getting busted for that.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
TOTW2 is mainly important for the survival reactions bit IMO. MSF doesn't cover that so much as I recall and it's good info. The rest of it is probably overkill for you at this time.

For street riding I'd recommend this video. It's 99% good info about safely riding the street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIWBZv45gqg

There are actually 3 of them but I only found the first on youtube. If you search the usual places or where scallywags assemble you can find the other two I bet.

Skreemer You might remember me posting a bit before about a friend getting back into riding? He was looking for a returning rider course but ended up signing up for a regular one since the returning rider's were rare.

Well, he went to the classroom portion, then cause of a fight with his girlfriend he didn't make it to any of the riding portions. He's just picked up a bike and has given me a dozen excuses why the class wasn't that good and he doesn't need to schedule another one. I don't think I'm going to convince him at this point so it's whatever. My question to you is, what drills or things from the study book do you think are the most important things for him to practice again before he gets out too much? Frankly I expect him to spend 10 minutes in a parking lot before taking off, but I think if I give him some stuff to practice with and some cones he might put in a bit more lot time before going out.

He took the class with me originally about 7 years ago, and I'm having trouble remembering what all the drills were. I know he remembers enough to know the parts of the bike and the basics of moving but I'm sure he's rusty as hell.

edit: lookit that, nearly 7 years.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 3, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Ah come on the cheesiness of TOTW2 is the best part. Watching that experienced rider try to act all suave when he's sweating like a pig and the wind's blowing his hair in his face...hilarious. And kids schooling riders on the side of the road...lol.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Thanks for typing that out, emergency braking was on my list but not the others. The notes of what to look for are helpful for me too cause, as I told him, I can give him tips but I'm not an instructor and I don't know all the things you guys look out for.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Riding dirt will give you an advantage in the class and the first bit will seem boring, but there is still stuff to learn from the street. You'll be bored when you're duck walking the bike across the lot to learn the clutch bite point, but swerving, emergency braking and turning will all be good plus you'll have someone there to help break the bad habits you picked up from the 150.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
He doesn't have a bike yet so save your breath. I think like 10 people have explained it and told him not to worry about it but here he is.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah it's all the experienced people that are wrong, not you.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Saying you're too heavy for a 250 is bullshit. I used to believe it because it seems to make sense, then I rode my friend home from work on my 250 cause it was all I had. We weigh 330 combined and aside from having to rev it at 6k instead of 5k to get it going, the motor didn't seem to notice the extra weight.

Now the suspension...

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Indeed, i thought that's what was being discussed. I rode a Rebel around the block when looking for my first bike and the handlebars hit my knees.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If nothing else I'd hope they could give you some tips for slow speed riding.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's Julian Ryder, he color commentates on BTSport for MotoGP.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Nah Toby Moody/Jules (and if you wanna go back a ways, Randi Mamola in the pit lane) was the best. Heuwen argues too much but at least he rode I guess.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Start scanning the used bike ads. I started to wonder how much money the MSF makes on drop outs when 3 of my friends signed up and 0 of my friends actually attended.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
A little bit is healthy. Find somewhere close to you with a few turns and little traffic to practice a bit. Cemeteries and parks can be good, or just little neighborhoods.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You're overthinking this. Relax, leave your ego at the door and listen to the advice your instructors give. You'll be fine.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The MSF doesn't teach you how not to run into mailboxes though. So keep that in mind.

Yet somehow 99% of graduates manage to not run into mailboxes.

Razzled is an amazing success story. When he started I thought he would die.b

Rizuhbull if you are skeptical that you are overthinking this I point you to exhibit A

rizuhbull posted:

3. It's 6-8 hours over two days right? Do we break for lunch or what?

And reiterate my advice to just relax. The class isn't scary at all and by simply worrying about it you will probably be more competent than anyone else there.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Bummer buddy but it's probably for the best if you were having trouble early. If you still want to learn, I'd get a bicycle and start riding the hell out of it. The weight is no where near the same but it should still help.

What did they tell you and what was the issue, exactly?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I found that taking one hand off of the bars and seeing how the bike reacts when you move the other hand solved the whole countersteering issue for most people.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Pretty sure all we've done is confuse the issue even more....again.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
RIP mailbox's helmet. Dead one year but still worn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Whatever protects you're noggin, I'm for. You'll probably have one more crash before you chill, just that one where you overstep your ability, then learn from it.

• Locked thread