Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

DrakIris posted:

Thanks! I'm loving exhausted, I work nights and this waking up in the morning poo poo is killer, pretty good time though and reaffirmed me wanting to get into this. I can't wait to finish and get the rest of my stuff together. Thankfully Austin tends to have mostly mild winters.
*EDIT*
I can now competently ride in parking lots! Also aced the u-turn box :smug:

I wish I had seen this thread before I passed my course, I could have yaked with all you guys.

Now I get to go annoy everyone in kdc67's megathread as I figure out what I am going to get, and trying to get some help figuring out what sucks and what doesnt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

[UK goon] looking at getting into bikes for commuting purposes because of those attractive mileage numbers and the relatively attainable up front cost (plus I don't foresee having anywhere to park a car for like the next 15 years at least).

Is there anything in particular I should know/do/have before calling up my local CBT provider, or should I just quit stalling and go for it?

Mostly I'm leery of accidentally picking a bad school, my first car driving instructor was completely awful and gave me a ton of bad habits, and I didn't really become comfortable on the road until after I totalled my parents' Micra and quit driving entirely for over three years :v:

e/ this is an experience I would like to not have to repeat on a bike, is what I'm saying

I went through my MSF a few weeks ago, and had a guy I didn't like very much. Despite that, he taught what i needed to learn to pass the tests and ride safely.

I'm guessing you have something similar there: a course that is prescribed by the govt in order to get your license. As long as you can be an adult and learn from someone that might be a bit of a jerk, and you can do the exercises, you should be okay.

I'm betting there are riding clubs in your area where you can get suggestions, thats probably your best bet.

Here is an example of the one for Texas, in the USA. I am betting most of the skills you need are the same, except for a few (namely which side of the road to ride on!)

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 3, 2014

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

rizuhbull posted:

Just got back a couple hours ago. Got pulled aside after a few riding exercises because I can't balance well enough. Disappointed in myself but not terribly down. I just learned how to ride a bicycle earlier this year and had to take a ton of extra gym classes when I was little cause I couldn't walk right. Basically I'm an autistic gently caress, but I don't think this is the end. Just gonna have to get a car for now and work on balancing in the meantime. What I'm most upset about is how fun it is when you've got some speed but what can you do. Thanks everyone for the info and whatnot.

Its all good.

I got pulled aside (I still passed) with points I needed to work on once I started riding.

I also have severe balance issues due to severe ear infections and ear damage from when I was a kid. I basically Learned to compensate visually and with other muscles.

It took me about a month to "learn" the proper parameters and feelings. For leaning into turns, but I mostly got it now.

Point is, I learned and you can too.

• Locked thread