Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

M42 posted:

My msf bike in CA was the shittiest poo poo that ever shittily shitted.

Mine was a destroyed Ninja EX250 with a really touchy throttle. I still managed to be third in the class behind 2 tw200s. If you get a choice in the class go for the tw200, a nighthawk, or a rebels. It will make your test a lot easier.

I thought the ninja was just like that until I checked my classmates EX250's throttle and found out his was completely normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

xergm posted:

Thanks. It got a lot easier once I got over that. I think only one person had never driven stick, so my group didn't have too many issues.

Certainly helped when the bikes warmed up too. No more problems trying to find neutral when I needed it, and no more finding it when I didn't.

Don't worry so much about the neutral thing. It comes with practice. When I first got my bike I had the hardest time getting into neutral. I then had more of a hard time getting it from neutral into first. You'll learn the tricks like gently bringing your foot up till you feel the click as opposed to when you shift into 2nd and just slam up into it.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

DrakIris posted:

First range day is finished, sore. Was a utter blast though and well worth the cost :D

Which school did you end up going through in Austin?
I went through Austin Moto Academy. They were some legit dudes.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Dr. Jackal posted:

Had my first riding session today, we had a small class (4) so we got to ride a lot (the trip meter read 15 or 16 miles)

I got a lot of reminds of the keep your head up/look up, which I expected (I tend to stare at the ground as it is).

One thing I had trouble was counter steering, we did the weave and the ovals but I had a hard time getting the feel for it. I've driven scooter(s) in the past and ride bike regularly (so I know the lean for turning, etc) but I still don't understand the push-right-lean-right-go-right. Do you keep pushing through the turn? or is it just at the start? Do you literally push the handle bar forward? (wouldn't this turn the bike to the left?) or do you press more down and out (to force a lean). The instructor explained it to me but I couldn't get it in the last set of exercises. I watched some videos on youtube [1] [2] but I'm still confused.

Also, is there a way to get more practice?

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTQ02P4R3TM beginner guide
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuaYOv_Gmvk same guy counter-steering

Edit:
I rode in a dual sport because I was tall but I am looking for cruiser types, should I try to switch bike for the next (and final) session or stick it out with the dual sport (also it was really jerky).

As much fun as it is to try out several kinds of bikes its usually best to stay on the same bike through the whole class. You will more than likely get your bearings easier and be able to pass the final test with ease on a dual sport. I finished 3rd in my class out of 8 people, but the two ahead of me were both on dual sport bikes. They had a much easier time with the box than I did on a Ninja 250.

Also the heads up thing is easy to remember... Look down, go down. Just repeat that to yourself. I still find myself saying that sometimes if I catch myself staring down too long.

Also ask your instructor if you can try another bike at the end of the class today. He or she will more than likely let you give it a lap around the track

• Locked thread