Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HiggsBoson81 posted:

A full face helmet with a visor?

I'm a firm believer in full face helmets, but I used one of the 3/4 ones provided during my MSF course because a lot of it was just sitting around. You could leave the visor up if you had sunglasses on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The_Maz posted:

You're probably right, I think most of that hesitance comes from the particular flavor of insane driver that characterizes the DC area. Planning on doing some morning rides on the weekends when things are calmer since I'm inside the beltway. At least there's still plenty of side roads and such to play around on. Still really excited about getting out there once I have my bike sorted out.

If you ever want to join in a goon group ride, we have done a few recently. Usually someone suggests an idea in the DC thread and we move to email to set up the details. I only just started riding a few months ago myself and it's been tough with how aggressive people drive around here. I took the MSF course, but don't have any parking lots near me to practice on so I've basically learned downtown at night after commuters have gone home.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Digital_Jesus posted:

As a fellow person over 6ft tall let me tell you one thing: gently caress the Honda Rebel 250. The ninja isn't any better either. 250cc bikes can all get stuffed.

I'm 6'1 190 lbs and I fit comfortably on my Ninja. I will admit most other bikes I've sat on have been more comfortable, but I've never had a problem on the lil 'ja, even on 300 mile days.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

builds character posted:

Victory! I am the best motorcyclist ever! Passed with no points off in the box. Pretty sure that was pure luck, but still, better lucky than good I always say.

We had a turn as part of the test but it was just the normal turns we'd been doing in class. So either it wasn't decreasing radius or all the practice ones were too.

Congrats on passing. It's a great time to find a deal on a bike right now fyi

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I will be the devil's advocate here and say that a full face helmet is not ideal for the MSF (harder to communicate with your instructor, unlikely to need the chinbar protection in a parking lot) and you're not wrong to consider the loaner. I would still probably prefer my own full face, but that's a personal preference.

I used their loaner half helmet for my MSF and it was fine. No rashes and it was more comfortable than wearing a full face the whole weekend for parking lot drills.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

builds character posted:

The place I went made you bring a bandanna if you wanted to borrow a helmet so I'd do that just for the sake of caution.

Skreemer posted:

anti-bacterial hair nets.

This. Looking back, it was kind of nasty just to rawdog a loaner helmet like that.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

The best advice given on clutch control for new riders is "slip the clutch like you hate it", just ride the poo poo out of that point where it starts to engage until you've gotten moving.

This is the only advice I wish they had told me in the MSF on day one. I was trying to stay off the clutch a good part of the first day and ended up stalling out a lot.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
He means ride the clutch more, meaning it's ok to hold it in the friction zone to get things moving.

On steep hills, I use my front brake until I'm ready to move, then I switch to the rear brake which frees up my throttle hand. Not sure if this is the recommended move, but it's always worked for me.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It took me a couple of weeks of low speed stuff to feel comfortable enough to ride on the highway. After 1 minute on the highway it wasn't scary at all. It's actually a lot easier than stop and go riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I hope you were wearing your Icon protective vest

• Locked thread