Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

When I bought my first bike I picked it up in a city 110km away and rode it home on the freeway the same day.

There is nothing complicated about freeways. Riding on the freeway is pretty much the safest and easiest thing to do on a bike. There are no skills to learn before taking your bike to the highway that aren't already taught in MSF. The barrier is purely mental; it's the fear of suddenly needing to do 70mph just to keep up with traffic when you have never gone over 40 before. Once you realize that your bike isn't actively trying to kill you highways become mundane. You're not going to hear too many stories of newbies wiping out on the highway when learning to ride. Sure it happens to squids zooming through traffic, unfortunate lane splitters who get lane changed into and the idiots who try to put their knee down on every oil and antifreeze soaked entry and exit ramp...but not to new riders trying to get from A to B with the flow of traffic.

Dropping bikes during slow speed maneuvers is part of the learning process. Mastering the MSF basics is key to gaining the confidence in your bike, the figure 8 is the only exercise where your bike choice matters and having done it on a Triumph Sprint 1050, I'm pretty sure you can do it on an SV650 just fine. No, learning to do the figure 8 won't teach you to handle high speed turns well, but it will teach you to not be glued to the seat and to trust the traction on your bike, leaning it way lower than you thought possible and fine throttle control. Soo yeah practice the figure 8, practice quick starts and quick stops - if your rear is staying on the ground in an SV650 you aren't stopping hard enough and if you don't feel your front lift you aren't starting quick enough - practice this gradually obviously - or just go ham. Who cares if you drop it. It's a cheap bike and you're not going to truly wreck it dropping it in a parking lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread