Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

Grimes posted:

Oh my god I'm terrible :smith: I am terrible at motorcycling even by the standards of someone who is having trouble. I'm seriously shocked at how much trouble I had with virtually everything. I kept accidentally giving the bike gas on the throttle when doing the slalom or even turning and I loving ran my bike into some shrubs. I was fine and so was the bike, but it almost seemed like an exclamation point on the day of "Oh my god, I'm bad at this and I don't know if I'm ever going to be good at it."

I don't know... :smith:

I loved the MSF course and passed with flying colors. A few weeks later I bought an SV650 and discovered while making laps around my apartment complex that I could barely control the thing. I nearly sideswiped a retaining wall while trying to avoid an oncoming car and generally felt like I had no idea what I was doing (I think because the SV was so much bigger and heavier than the MSF bikes). That night, I reviewed the MSF book and, over and over, visualized countersteering in my head until my brain turned it into a reflex. Got back on the bike the next day and I was fine. I spent the next few riding sessions practicing on some hilly sidestreets down the road from me.

So don't get spooked. Re-read the materials, visualize the actual physical motion of controlling a bike until it becomes muscle memory. You just have to get past the fact that a large part of riding is either new, alien or outright counter-intuitive. Eventually, you'll get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

Halo_4am posted:

Has anybody taken/taught the experienced course? I just got myself a whole lot of bike and was thinking of re-taking the MSF just to force myself to refresh and practice. I drill myself on the stuff from MSF/BRC1 at the start of every season anyway though so it will probably be more beneficial to take the advanced instead. My actual MSF cert is 6 years old now so it might not hurt my insurance to take and pass the advanced safety course either.

I took the ERC a few years ago. I can't say I learned anything I didn't already know, but it was free, fun and I got a chance to practice some things I otherwise wouldn't have.

• Locked thread