Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Just buy a 250/125 and learn on that. It's not like you need a license to teach or ride over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Stugazi posted:

Is this post highway rush something that becomes normal over time?

The highway is somewhere between the two parts of the ride I remember.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Gixxer owners don't let learning slow them down.

The back end of a eight wheeler will.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Safety Dance posted:

You should try modulating the force with which you're activating the front and rear brakes, rather than shifting backwards. Counterintuitively, the more quickly you're trying to slow down, the less rear brake you should use. If you're just braking to control your speed a little bit for slow speed maneuvers, you can feel free to use 100% rear. On the other hand, while panic stopping? Barely using the rear at all.

It is my opinion that an emergency brake maneuver shouldn't include the rear because it it is impossible to keep your concentration on modulating the pressure. You'll be too busy trying not to kill yourself.

It could work if you've practiced it a lot of times under a lot of different conditions/road surfaces but that's just too much work imho.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I really don't understand people's obsession with counter-steering. It's such a non-issue.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Stugazi posted:

I have 10k miles and just under a year of riding under my belt.

I have to make a u turn every time I ride to work.

I still suck at u turns and would probably fail that part of the test if I had to take it today.

Really slow maneuvers like that throw me off. Get me over 10mph or enough room to goose it for a tighter turn and I'm good to go. Make me turn around in a box at 5MPH and laugh at my comical lack of balance/coordination.

Whatever, chicks don't care how well you can u turn. :)

On the other hand, the more confident I am in my maneuvers the more I find myself in situations that require them.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I think I sucked because my little bike kept stalling out in second gear (eat some salad, fat goon, hurr).

Nope, sorry, your fat rear end has nothing to do with it stalling. :(

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

OSU_Matthew posted:

That seems rather counterintuitive--wouldn't you want riders out practicing? Especially with all the training you receive, I would imagine that you'd be alright out on your own, even if it was a probationary license to start on. If new riders (basically) don't get to ride for the next 11 months, I doubt most would even remember what the clutch is by the time they get on a bike again. :confused:

It comes back pretty quickly though. Like riding a bike! :haw:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Super Slash posted:

...I still passed though,...
Yay!

Super Slash posted:

- I couldn't really figure out driving in first gear, I was having trouble trying to not rev the poo poo out of the throttle while trying to 'Slip' the clutch (Am I suppose to just hold it at the biting point?)

When you ride away from a standstill, hold the clutch about two seconds in the friction zone. Don't use a lot of throttle (maybe a quarter?) because you won't go faster. When you get comfortable with this the time to hold the clutch will shorten.

Super Slash posted:

- Gear shifting was pretty rough, going up was fine though I did rocket ahead every now and then. But I just couldn't feel out the lever to properly down shift which distracted me a whole lot

Time, time, time. This is all about the throttle/clutch/revs combo, and you'll be fiddling with it for a while until you don't have to think about it any more. There's no magic.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Yess! Very nice.

Do you have any restrictions on what bike you're allowed to ride? What are your plans?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Good job to all who completed brc/msf!

Tanbo posted:

They didn't even tell us when we were doing the testing portion, just did it.

That's pretty nice! I wish they did this here but it would be pretty hard considering the testing parts are done by the government on government property.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

... another was physically exhausted ...

wait WHAT

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

DrakIris posted:

I think I might have pushed myself a bit (too) hard but managed to make it through okay, I just got my first bike today, it's damp and lovely and cold and I still did my first real on-road ride to get to work. Only part that were really freezing at the end are my hands, so I need better gloves but fuuuuuck was that a blast. Helmets need built in wipers some how :V

Internet tells me this works.

I just use my entire hand. Works too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Razzled posted:

It sounds like you're just trying to do the MSF drills on your SV. Stop doing that. Don't waste anymore time doing the MSF drills. You're trying to replicate drills that were designed with 250cc motorcycles in mind when instead you should be familiarizing yourself with what is an intermediate level bike's characteristics. Go to a parking lot and figure out how to do the following on your bike: 1) Turn at speed (countersteering) 2) Brake reasonably quickly 3) Launch without stalling (learn that friction point and gas that bitch)

I like how you said to not do msf drills and then suggest alternatives that are msf drills. Also countersteering isn't a technique but a definition of a thing that happens when steering a two wheeled vehicle.

Razzled posted:

If you keep dropping the bike maybe you shouldn't ride.

If you keep dropping your bike, maybe you should get comfortable with the basics first. In most cases, a drop happens when you are trying and falling to perform outside your skill set. This is especially true for bike maneuvers, since there are no environmental factors to account for.

• Locked thread