Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Did you come here looking for free goon-made games? Go here!

Welcome to the August TGD Design Contest. The objective, as with previous contests, is to make a game in a month under certain restrictions.

Friendly Hugs? Diceless? What's this storygame bullshit?

The restrictions for this contest are twofold. The first is that your game cannot be about combat or have a lot of combat rules, hence friendly hugs. The second is that you cannot use dice as randomizers. What those mean exactly will be explained in a bit.

The spirit of the contest is to make that game you thought about in your teenage years which wouldn't have any combat rules in it and be totally awesome. Since you never made that game then, it's time to do so now!

Also in the spirit of the Friendly Hugs, and in light of how friendly and inviting previous TGD contests have been, I will be taking a strict hardline Iron-fisted approach to the rules in this one. Happiness is mandatory, citizen.

The Guidelines

Over a period of the month of August, you will write a game and have it playtested. There will be scoring throughout the contest, but the determiner of the winner will be the result of your playtest. In addition, in order to qualify, you have to playtest a competing contestant's game. (You don't have to have your game playtested by a contestant, just playtested in a way that I can access.) The top three finalists will receive Forum Upgrades of their choice. In addition, the top finalist will receive a Special Secret Prize and the admiration of many especially nerdy goons.

However, you absolutely must follow the rules. This is not negotiable. My stamp of disqualification is heavy and eager.

What do you mean by "combat"?

First of all, please don't ask me that question in this thread. Part of this is about what you think non-combat means and should be and what conflicts you can derive that aren't about killing things. But if you want a guideline on what will not be disqualified, consider the following definition: "Combat" means any RPG rules involving detailed conflict rules on how to inflict harm on people and possibly take their stuff afterwards.

If that's not clear, here are some examples of games that fit the "no combat" guideline, if not the "no dice" one.

Yuuyake Koyake

This is a game about being animals that help children with little problems and things. It is so cute it competes with your baby for space in the crib. It is specifically designed to eschew violence and competitions for power.

If that's a bit too sugary sweet and anime for you, try...

Fiasco

This game has a gun on the cover and certainly touches on violence, but none of its resolution mechanics involve any kind of combat subsystem. That's perfectly acceptable for contest purposes as far as I'm concerned, and it's a great game too.

If you really need to skirt the edge, consider...

Leverage

Fundamentally this game is not about combat, even with one of its archetypes being nominally focused on it. It's about the heist. That a little fisticuffs happens is expected, but it's not what the game or show is focused on.

Now, we are all posters in the TGD subforum. We know that RPG combat involves Killing poo poo and Taking poo poo Afterwards in a detailed and intricate subsystem. No, roller derby is not combat. No, competitive wrestling is not combat. They are not RPG combat rules. This should be rather clear.

Now with that in mind, consider the examples I have posted. They include a game where you can die and keep playing as the corpse, as well as a game with an archetype in it that's all about being a bruiser. However, neither game is at its core about these things, or involve Killing poo poo or Taking Their poo poo Afterwards in a detailed and intricate subsystem. I'd prefer if the spirit of the contest was closer to Yuuyake Koyake, but I am a realist that way.

Given these facts, ask yourselves: Is my game about combat? Does it fit into the provided examples? If you can genuinely answer that it's not about combat and does fit somewhere between the three provided sample games, and furthermore your combat rules are tiny or even nonexistent (and by tiny I mean no intricate subsystem for it), then your game is probably fine and you don't need to ask my permission. Go absolutely wild with your creativity.

Great, how do I sign up?

You don't anymore, sorry!

The final reward went to Ettin for his game Retrocausality, and all the games have been gathered in this post. Enjoy your free games, folks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The last two contests were all about having fun and being awesome elfgame friends who make cool things for cool people. Naturally, this being a contest about having no or minimal combat rules, and in contrast with my usual style, I will be presiding over it with an iron fist. If I haven't made at least one lifelong Internet Nemesis by the end of this contest, I will be very surprised indeed. DO NOT BE MISTAKEN. THIS IS LIKELY TO BE A ONE-WAY TRIP.

Following this are the rules. Breaking or attempting to dodge any of them will result in immediate disqualification. Whining about unfairness will result in immediate disqualification. Asking me about the rules in private messages or in the thread beyond simple requests for clarification will result in immediate disqualification. Asking for simple clarification will make me cross - ask each other! If I say I will clarify no further, I will not. If you start jockeying about someone having broken the rules or try to game the system to your advantage by trying to get other contestants disqualified, you will be disqualified with extra lack of mercy for being a jackass. And don't even think about being annoying or otherwise jackassed, y'hear?

We have always been at war with Eurasia and happiness is mandatory, so in that spirit you are absolutely allowed and in fact encouraged to post about your progress, discuss with other contestants and ask each other about what these inscrutable rules from on high actually mean. Your participation in the thread won't be rated in the contest, but it will make the whole thing that little bit better.

THE RULES

1. Your game cannot have combat be its main source of conflict or conflict resolution, nor can the ruleset focus more on combat than on other tasks. If you absolutely have to detail combat, you may not exceed one page of rules or other description detailing it. Trying to break this limit or dodge it by making the combat section size 8 double column text or similar is also not allowed. If you use a google doc or a wiki, I will copy your combat section into Word, put in in size 12 Times New Roman with single column and line spacing and check whether you are legal. You want to be legal, right? Furthermore, you're not allowed to ask me about what I mean when I say "combat". See the first post for details.

Amendment to rule 1: Each game may have a maximum of two authors, and each author may have a maximum of two games under their name.

2. It has to be an original creation for this contest, and it must recognizably be a role-playing game by the definition of players taking on a role or persona for the duration of the game in whatever capacity. It cannot be a slightly altered version of something you made for another contest or a game you have already made elsewhere. It cannot be an addon on to an existing RPG or other game, or use any open source game document. Your sin, such as it is, must be original.

3. No games about having internet arguments. I mean it. It's not as funny as you think it is.

4. You may not use dice as randomizers. You can use boardgames, like Jenga or Monopoly (but not their dice either). You can use playing cards or CCG cards. You can somehow involve a combination of your giant Anime DVD/body pillow collection, incredibly useless knowledge of Touhou trivia and the random page function on Wikipedia for that matter. However, you cannot use dice as randomizers. Anything else goes. Too many games that stall in their initial stages start with picking out dice, and you don't want to stall in front of everyone watching and silently judging you.

5. You will present your rules in complete and readable format for inspection in stages. The first stage is the Project Outline. It is due on August 3rd, and none may be submitted before August 1st, both measured by Midnight GMT. And I am sure you know by now what will happen if you submit early or late. The precise details of what I want to see in your Project Outline appear below.

You will present your work in further subsequent stages throughout August. The second stage is due on August 10th, the third stage on August 17th, and the fourth stage on August 24th, measured by at the latest on Midnight GMT as per the Outline. Your stages may include rules in whatever order you prefer.

6. These rules modules must contain the following: Enough rules to run a game. Enough characters or character rules to run a playtest and a sample adventure (or equivalent). Guidelines for running the playtest, complete with all required rules for doing so. You are not required to strictly organize them by these topics and you may present them in any order, but at the end of August 24th they must all be present.

7. Your game must be playtested and presented by August 31st in a format accessible to me to read, witness, watch or listen to. Furthermore, in order to finish the contest, you must run at least one of your competitors' games with similar proof as for your own game, and may not run your own. However, note that you do not need to have your game playtested by another contestant to qualify - it merely needs to be playtested. If another contestant flakes on running your game, you should not be punished for it. The onus of organizing this playtest is on you. If your schedule is busy, I suggest setting aside time right now. You are allowed to make minor modifications to all previous modules during each deadline, such as for errata or an additional pregenerated character. Trying to add entire pages of previously missing rules to a submitted document is a no-no.

Following this final deadline, I will take one week (to September 7th) to judge the games, and present to you the results thereof within that period. A winner will then be selected at a date no later than September 7th. And I mean it.
There will be no extensions to the above deadlines. Asking me for an extension for any reason - personal, medical, mental or otherwise - will result in immediate disqualification. There is no mercy but that which you allow yourself by bowing out and being thus affixed to the Wall of Shame.

:siren:Rule 8, as of August 2nd:siren:

I am sad. There are still people attempting to bug me about exactly how much combat their games can have. This post includes the exact amount down to font, type size and line spacing. I have posted examples, with pictures. I defined the term twice. This is not a matter which is in any sense unclear. Did you perhaps not read the rules?

So from now on, I am instituting a new rule. I will interpret attempts to ask me about combat-related things that are already answered in the first two posts as attempts at ingratiating yourself with the judge. Anyone attempting to do so from now on will be labelled an Ingrate, and one Bonus (should they earn one) will be deducted in the final scoring of the game. You can now lose because you asked me a stupid question.

SCORING

Judgment will be imparted on each individual stage of the contest. Each stage will be judged on a scale of 0 to 10. When the final score is tallied, any stage of the contest you receive a 8+ score on will grant your final tally for the playtest a Bonus. The overall winner of the contest will be the one whose game has the most successful playtest, as judged by me, based on criteria like fun, clarity, achieving your original intent as outlined in the outline and so on. The exact scoring details will be posted after the August 24th deadline.

In practice, this means that your final critera - the actual playtest and how your game performs in play - is the most important factor in your victory. However, doing well in all previous stages will be accounted for. The Bonuses you earn during the contest will break ties in the final stage. If your game scores an eight for its playtest and is tied for first place, you will win if your bonuses outnumber those of your competitor. And take note! You will be running each others' games, and I'm expecting everyone to play in the friendly spirit that this entails. If I detect that you're trying to sabotage a rival game by making it look bad, and I will, there will be dire consequences.

If you score 0 on any of the stages, you are disqualified. The only way to do so is to outright ignore the rules of the contest or not hand anything in, so you probably weren't paying attention anyway.

Judging criteria for the other modules will be made publically available in the following weeks. Each module will have a similar rating from 0 to 10. However, for each week I will be posting Optional Bonus Point awards for achieving certain Special Bonus Objectives. Meeting any, some or all of them awards you +1 point to your final score for that module. The maximum possible score remains ten, and to be clear, these bonus objectives are not cumulative awards - you technically only need to meet one, though meeting more is appreciated. These will be different for every week: You do not gain a bonus for meeting a previous week's goal in a later module.

:siren: DETAILS FOR THE AUGUST 3RD OUTLINE :siren:

Your Project Outline must contain no less than half a page of text and no more than five pages. If your organization involves wiki or google docs, I will copy the whole thing into Word in size 12 Times New Roman single column and line spacing and check for myself. More detailed and complete project outlines will be regarded more highly. In addition, you must include an ad blurb for your game consisting of no more than 250 words. I will be counting, and no you may not go "a little bit over". That results in an Ad Blurb score of 0. It may be presented seperately or as part of the full outline: however, it must be clearly marked as an ad blurb (title and mark not included in the total word count) and the actual outline must still fill half a page on its own. Your blurb is not an outline.

The judgment rubric for the outline will be as follows:

1. How complete and detailed your outline is and how clear your goals for the game is. A good project outline is a strong step towards completion, and you can take that from someone who's been a finisher in two of these TGD contests in a row. You will be rated from 0 to 5, with points awarded for Clarity (how easy your outline is to understand for someone not privy to your thoughts), Completeness (How many of the required rules modules and their component elements you plan ahead) and Concept (not just how interesting it is, but also how interesting you make it seem). Completeness is worth up to three points, the other two up to one each. I will be posting no further guidelines as to what Completeness entails.

2. How engaging your ad blurb is. A bad blurb is one that starts on "I guess it's like a game of romance or something" and will rate low. A good blurb is like a tiny textual orgasm that starts off slow and builds to a climax. You will be rated from 0 to 5 based on the construction of your blurb. Your goal is to sell me on what your game is about, its concepts and on wanting to try it for myself. If you want to know more, there is plenty of information on what a good blurb entails available online and I will be posting no further guidelines on it in this thread.

Depending on how many outlines I receive, these scores will be made available within the next ten days or so after the deadline in whatever order I wish, reviewed in a random order. I expect future entries to taper down as the collective goony failure mounts, so this will be faster for every subsequent stage.

Bonus Objectives For Stage One

1. Get an Internet Famous designer dude like an OSR blogger, current professional game designer or a big dude on a gaming forum to comment on your outline in a public venue. Mikan does not count because that would be too easy.

2. Somehow involve Sportacus the Sport Elf of Lazytown fame, and his message of healthy living and going out to get some exercise instead of sitting inside playing games all day, in your project outline. The more on-topic the reference is, the better.

3. Post your outline within five minutes of Midnight GMT on either August 1st or August 3rd. I call this the "cheeky smartass award" for reasons which should be obvious.

CURRENT ENTRIES:

Remember, name and/or description before I make it official.

Red_Mage: Amp 2 Amp
LemonCurdistan: gently caress You Erick Wujcik
Ettin: Retrocausality
PixelScum: Titans of the Ring and Inside the Dark Planet
ZenMasterBullshit: We Are Amplified
FewtureMD: Lawyered!
blastron: Justice Is Blind
bahamut: Something Wicked This Way Comes
DocBubonic: Troubling Dreams
WhitemageofDOOM: Monocles are mandatory
Benedict: 1850s: The Lincoln Douglas Debates
RPZip: "Fantasy political intrigue game will go here. Or Cthulu office politics."
Druggeddwarf: The Last Days of the Meek
Mikan: Roster
TK-31: Psychodrive
piL: Princes of Ilan
gnome7: Dungeon Manager
CloseFriend: MeldLine
whoda thunkit: Zero Hour
Undead Unicorn: Haunted
Sion: ICE Breakers
Ulta: Jurassic Central Park
Benagain: Demiurge
CHaKKaWaKka: PopCon
Man-Thing: Red Tape.
GorfZaplen: It's Not the End of the World
willing to settle and Helena P. Blavatsky: Arcana
Evil Sagan: Overruled
Flaky Biscuit: Intersector
Comrade Gorbash: Ministry of Heaven
Fuchi: Spin
Capfalcon: Road Trip!
Kwyndig: Emperor Mittens
Namagem: Last of the Living
alakath: ThU/D: Deathrow LIVE!
sc4rs: Arenaball
Radioactive Bears: WORLD SERPENT!! and Rookies
PublicOpinion: The Mage-Lords of Arymavon
Beer4TheBeerGod: Tailgate
Gau: Traceuse
MadScientistWorking: Mystery at Owl Creek Cove
MadRhetoric: Nothing Amazing Happens Here (すごいことなくない)
FM: Due Process
GenericGirlName: Sugar Cube Quest
HiKaizer: Confucius Says: Don't Wake Up!
thanthos: Lil' Eldritch Horrors
self_invention: Earth Needs Rock Stars
UberJew: Dis?Unity
Auralsaurus Rex: Stock Sharks
Glasgerion: Disarmament - the game of very polite atomic crisis

THE WALL OF SHAME:

Here belong the names of the shamed fallen.

Esser managed to get himself disqualified before the contest even began by sassing me over the rules for dice.
Sion and his game of ICE Breakers didn't even make it to August 1st.
There is no shame but what you inflict on yourself, but Evil Sagan took it literally.
GorfZaplen, PixelScum and Namagem had an episode together.
It was all too much for Beer4TheBeerGod and WhitemageofDOOM.
Benedict's popemobile did not save him.
CloseFriend quit an hour before the first deadline. gently caress!
ZenMasterBullshit became unstuck in time.
Slor The Destroyer came and went.
RPZip, FewtureMD, whoda thunkit, Undead Unicorn, Benagain, CHaKKaWakka, Fuchi and MadScientistWorking reenacted the Battle at Trencsén, but played the Hungarians.
DocBubonic did not partake in the good cheer.
piL was routed off the battlefield.
bahamut's weapons failed him.
HiKaizer, Mikan, GenericGirlName and Man-Thing REGRET THIS.
TK-31 was lost in the darkest hour.
thanthos, FM, PublicOpinion and Radioactive Bears were overrun by Confederates at Gainesville.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Totally entering this. Don't have a name, yet though. I'll come back with a write up soon.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Now now, read the rules!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I'm going to try and enter this. I've got a game idea it's just that I'm struggling with coming up with a non-dice randomizer that would work.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
For this contest, Rulebook and his IRON FIST is being given the POWER OF EXILE. If you break his rules he may declare you EXILE and cast you from this thread. Basically if you dick around or gently caress up too much he can declare you EXILE in a reply and you are banned from this thread for all time and your name edited into the ROSTER OF THE BANISHED which will go in the OP! If you post again after being exiled, you will have a week to contemplate your foolishness in the dark lands of probation.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I'm looking forward to this! While I haven't put down any official words yet because it feels like breaking the spirit of the contest even if no one can check my hard drive, I've got a concept, basic resolution idea, and name.

It may be rules lawyer friendly.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
:dance: I'm so excited!

I specifically cordoned this contest off in my brain so that I wouldn't start putting together ideas until I saw the rules. Now that I have, I am really stoked. Going to cook some ideas in my head and see what comes out on the 31st.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm going to try and enter this. I've got a game idea it's just that I'm struggling with coming up with a non-dice randomizer that would work.

Decks of cards are very easy to use and ubiquitous.

The diceless thing is, ironically, the most challenging part of this. Dice are just such convenient randomizers. All the more need to challenge that precept of RPGs!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Gau posted:

:dance: I'm so excited!

I specifically cordoned this contest off in my brain so that I wouldn't start putting together ideas until I saw the rules. Now that I have, I am really stoked. Going to cook some ideas in my head and see what comes out on the 31st.

Decks of cards are very easy to use and ubiquitous.

The diceless thing is, ironically, the most challenging part of this. Dice are just such convenient randomizers. All the more need to challenge that precept of RPGs!

I thought about cards but then I worried about being far too similar to The Fortune System. The Diceless thing is a bit of a doozy.

EDIT: A bit of my game idea. Not exactly concise but it's just how I explained it to a friend. http://pastebin.com/mVwkpDzK

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
I'm dumb

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to enter or not, but I'm thinking of doing a Monster Rancher-esque game about raising up a monster. I'm just having trouble coming up with a system that make it a roleplaying game and not a card game with some fluff behind it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I assume a Fiasco style playbook would be an adventure equivalent if our game involves making up the premise of the game session at the beginning of the night?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

homerlaw posted:

When you say combat, you mean in a physical sense, correct?
Thinking about doing something involving the land of the dead, maybe involved with tarot cards?

Rulebook Heavily posted:

First of all, please don't ask me that question in this thread. Part of this is about what you think non-combat means and should be and what conflicts you can derive that aren't about killing things. But if you want a guideline on what will not be disqualified, consider the following definition: "Combat" means any RPG rules involving detailed conflict rules on how to inflict harm on people and possibly take their stuff afterwards.

1. Your game cannot have combat be its main source of conflict or conflict resolution, nor can the ruleset focus more on combat than on other tasks. If you absolutely have to detail combat, you may not exceed one page of rules or other description detailing it. Trying to break this limit or dodge it by making the combat section size 8 double column text or similar is also not allowed. If you use a google doc or a wiki, I will copy your combat section into Word, put in in size 12 Times New Roman with single column and line spacing and check whether you are legal. You want to be legal, right?

I'll just leave this here.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

homerlaw posted:

When you say combat, you mean in a physical sense, correct?

Just so you know, there's a definite taboo on asking Rulebook questions about the contest, ESPECIALLY questions like that.

The general answer would be yes.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
For a randomizer, consider Russian Roulette. Bonus points if you use live ammunition!

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Don't be discouraged! Not only were you caught in time, but in the way I like to see - by your fellow posters!

You're perfectly allowed to ask each other questions and answer them, and in fact I encourage it. But I must remain a faceless lord, silently judging from on high.

Go forth and make games.

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
Alright I'm going with the shotgun approach with two games:

Titans of the Ring
A game about the fame, the fall, and the flair (heh) of pro wrestling. Focuses purely on the showmanship and drama of pro wrestling rather than the actual fighting.
Primary mechanic is a hand draw to determine what occurs during a given scene (the entire hand is used for the scene and the size is based on how much poo poo happens. Higher value cards are more successful etc)

Inside The Dark Planet
You are Explorators. You've been sent down to planet UX-38148 to explore, excavate, and fill out the planetary encyclopedia..if you can. Many have tried, none have returned.
This focuses on abuse of the ecology within the planet to get through as well as your various tools. You and your ships aren't very tough and while you do have token weapons, you lose money which is spent on valuable tools and things. if things come down to combat, you're probably in deep deep poo poo and it'll show.
Primary mechanics is essentially gambling with a few other things thrown in, dice are used to fill out the map (by placing them on the 'overworld' map itself and drawing around them, the number on the die face determines some things about the given map grid.)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Is gently caress You Erick Wujcik an acceptable game name?

e; this is not an entry post, to be clear. I want to know if "gently caress You Erick Wujcik" would make a good game name if I were to enter.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Expect a dumb time travel game!

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

I haven't decided exactly what I'm doing but I'm entering the contest.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be entering the contest. And I already know what I'm using for my randomizer. No clue what the game itself will be like just yet- I'm thinking more of a political game.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Now I'm tempted to figure out how to use a hamster ball as a randomizer, just for the hell of it.

Edit: I might finally write up an RPG that's been hiding in the back of my head for awhile, which is basically Toy Story, but with more stuffed animals.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I'm going to be entering. I am not certain exactly what I am doing yet but I have a lot of IDEAS and just need to sort one out and make it something not-terrible.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I'm struggling with the temptation to spend this contest rebuilding Paragons without levels or classes. Granted, it's a diced game about violence, but I already won an avatar so you all can just deal.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Tossing my hat into the ring with Lawyered!, the game of lying,charming bastards doing whatever they need to in court to win the Trial of the Century.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

FewtureMD posted:

Tossing my hat into the ring with Lawyered!, the game of lying,charming bastards doing whatever they need to in court to win the Trial of the Century.

You fiend! I'll sue you for infringement of my own legal entry, Justice Is Blind, a crime solving/police procedural/courtroom drama game about finding The Truth!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I'm in.

Trying to decide between a couple concepts.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
God dammit. I honestly don't know if I'll be able to complete this in time on account of other projects, but it seems that entering can't be helped.

What were once just tales of monstrous beings living beyond your forest world have become terrifying reality as these goliaths now make incursions into your ancestral home. Though yours is a strong and courageous heart, you know open war would surely mean the end of you and all your kin. Deception, misdirection, and treachery shall be your weapons; and used wisely hopefully you can turn these unrelenting giants against one another before you and all you know and love are destroyed.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Let's see if I can go 3 for 3 in failing to make a game.

Originally I was thinking of "Wacky Races: the RPG", but I think that idea would work more as a board/card game than an RPG. The only real idea I could come up with mechanically would be that the driver and car would be considered one character.

Now I'm thinking about remaking/reworking this:

I also had this weird sleep-deprived idea of using something based on Apocalypse World's playbook and moves mechanics, but using playing cards instead. Moves would let you do one of three things:
  • When you're setting something up for later or putting yourself in peril, then you draw cards.
  • When something bad happens to you, you discard cards.
  • When you do something, instead of rolling you have to play a card. Ace & Face cards would do something special.

Stats could be something like...Clever, Muscle, Know-It-All, Charm, and Spunk.

"When you spend time planning an elaborate trap, draw Clever cards."

"When you're threatened by a Bad Guy, play a card+Spunk. On a 10+, you get away clean. On a 7-9, you stumble, get turned around, or get lost; discard 1.

"When you rock the house, play a card+Charm. On a 10+, pick 3. On a 7-9 pick 1."

Also, how the hell are you guys already coming up with these cool logos?

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
While I lay dreaming. (working title)

Beyond the veil of sleep, there is dreamland. Its a magical place where anything you can think of is true. It is shaped by the force of will of the dreamers. However, where there are dreams, there are nightmares. Nightmares can destroy a good dream, but the dreamers can resist the influence of nightmares. What the dreamer has to understand is that nightmares come from the same place as dreams. Nightmares are made up of the frustrations, anxiety, and troubles that are on the dreamer's mind. Knowing where nightmares come from, a dreamer must confront the underlying causes and find a way to be at peace with them.

The mechanic will be a bidding system of some kind. Possibly one where the players and the GM bid for narrative control over scenes.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.
Signing up with

Monocles are mandatory

A game about the bourgeois at the country club!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Tentatively Signing up with
Cityscape: Runners in the BackAlleys.

What a lovely name.

EDIT: Some confusion. My pastebin link was a copy of a steam chat. WE ARE AMPLIFIED was my steam name at the time.

Benedict
Mar 7, 2008

Why, yes, that is Glemdenning
1850s: The Lincoln Douglas Debates

My game will be a game about political intrigue, maneuvering, and yes, master debating. There will be no auto erotic jokes in this game. You and the other players will be a team of political pundits. You can be anything from radio personalities, commentators, journalists, senators, representatives, lobbyists, etc. Each session will revolve around getting your agenda forwarded, either a minor point voted through or a step in a major point. You will use bribery, lies, debate, gerrymandering, and all sorts of other connivery to accomplish this. The resolution mechanic will be non random resource management, so get out your puerto rico hats boys n girls, its gonna be a chit storm.

Where will you be when the chits hit the fan? Will you be a master debater or a political flop? Will you be a bad enough dude to be the next president?

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Fantasy political intrigue game will go here. Or Cthulu office politics. One of those.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Hi!

First time contender, probably not going to rank pretty high, but always wanted an excuse to make a game, so why not.

I'd like to enter the competition with the game The Last Days of the Meek (work in progress)

It's a simple concept about Nerds of a certain age (player's choice) who spend the day trying to accomplish their dreams, while being hassled by their respective bullies.

Intentionally built to end on a high note, and inspired by a crap ton of 80s high school movies.

With any luck, it also won't suck on the write up.

The resolution mechanic is a bit of an issue, as I have an idea of how it works, but would need serious playtesting to see if it makes sense.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Officially signing up with Roster, a game about wasted ambition and seizing power. Normal people find themselves drawn into a game of intrigue and plotting and scheming and other synonyms. It will be ~*Storygame As gently caress*~ and modeled after things like Sh15uya, Maoh: Juvenile Remix and a third thing I can't remember the name of right now.

I'm toying with a resolution system involving words and editing but I don't know if I can make it work yet.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Alright, better pitch!

Retrocausality is a game about time travel.

The details aren't important. Someone discovered the Heinlein boson or messed around with wormholes or something, there was a lot of science, an arbitrary number of dictators were killed, whatever. It was all very confusing. The important thing is that you can time travel. You probably went back in time to teach yourself. Now you get to muck around in history, defend it from people who want to muck around with it in ways you don't like, and for the love of God, do not make things worse.

(Retrocausality is also a game about making things worse.)

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Pitchin' Psychedelia (Probably not the final title), a game without any randomizers about a consensual reality slowly seeping into ours. Bizarre rumors starting out as a joke become real, people begin to look more like how they are on the inside, and walking into the wrong side of town will take you into someone else's mind trip. By the time people begin to look for the root cause behind these incidents, it might already be too late. Expect facing your own literal demons, dynamic inter-party relationships, and your only real limitation being how far you are willing to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I have an idea for a game about growing up, getting old, and eventually dying. I can't think of how to make that fun though.