Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I didn't like the first half of the album at all but once Kingdom kicks in, it gets really, really good.

I'm listening right now and I just finished Kingdom a few minutes ago. I think I agree.

E: Is Z² next?

Dubstep Jesus fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

slogsdon posted:

Next one is apparently "Casualties of Cool" with Che the Ki vocalist. From way back in February:

Devin posted:

I found as a reaction to the complications of decon and the sheer bulk of work thats been going on (seriously, it’s insane) my writing ended up going in 3 ways recently:

1) A very commercial sounding (for the most part) but beautiful and melencholic album full of easy to digest dev songs…Epicloud. I don’t know why it came out, but it did, so I’m going to get it out of my system

2) Casualties of Cool: a duo with myself and Che (ki)… it sounds like haunted Johnny cash songs. late night music, completely isolated sounding and different than anything I’ve done. Che sings most of the leads, and it’s probably the truest reflection of who I am in life at this point. Trying to release it in tandem with Epicloud.

3) Z2 epic epic epic, complicated, musical, sci-fi, immense expense, the goal of it all I suppose.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Here is Kingdom for those like me who are stuck at work and need to hear some new Dev.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHzr1QrMxOU

It's awesome but I can't help but wish he used those operatic vocals that turn into screams like in the By a Thread version. Those were amazing.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm kind of surprised at the underwhelmed reaction to the first half of the album. Where We Belong in might be my favorite song on the album. There are a few forgettable tracks here and there but overall this thing is just hitting all the right buttons with me.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The only track I'm not keen on is Lucky Animals, and I don't think I'll be alone in that opinion

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've kinda grown on some of the earlier tracks, I think the album starts to get good once Where We Belong hits. Still really not a fan of Lucky Animals though.

Also I've said it a few posts ago but that new version of Kingdom is so, so good.

LorentzViolator
Sep 6, 2006

slogsdon posted:

I'm listening right now and I just finished Kingdom a few minutes ago. I think I agree.

I interpreted Devin as saying on the commentary that he was a bit worried that having too many of the power ballads would alienate some fans so as a concession to that True North isn't as straightforward and catchy as it might otherwise be.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Grace is headed straight to my (big) list of favourite Dev songs. And holy poo poo Kingdom is good.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Maybe it's because I only heard the youtube version of Lucky Animals, but I really like it. The production on this album is loving massive. My favorite of the Quadrilogy was Addicted, and this is like Deconstruction and Addicted had a baby, so I'm way into it. The title is very very apt. I don't have time to listen to all of it right now, but I'm loving it so far. You've done it again, Devy. :)

Edit: Okay, finally listened to the whole album. Amazing. Kingdom is unbelievable. I think my favorites are Where We Belong, Kingdom, Grace, More!, and Angel. Really great stuff all around.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 7, 2012

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Yup, this is a pretty good album. Some amazing songs here and the transition between Save Our Now and Kingdom is awesome. Saying that, I don't think I like True North very much and although the vocals in Lucky Animals are awesome, the chorus is just too annoying. I feel like Grace would be even better without the Anneke parts at the start and near the end.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

henpod posted:

Here is Kingdom for those like me who are stuck at work and need to hear some new Dev.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHzr1QrMxOU

Jesus gently caress.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

henpod posted:

I feel like Grace would be even better without the Anneke parts at the start and near the end.

Couldn't disagree more. They keep it from being too uniform and bland.

Stupidog
Mar 30, 2007

SO happy with this album. I understand the dislike for Lucky Animals, but I can't help but enjoy it and it's definitely stuck in my head. Pretty happy with the way Kingdom came out, although it still sounds odd to me because I'm so used to the Physicist version. It is indeed massive, though. As is most of the album. Grace? Holy hell mmmmmm.

Can't wait to see him in two weeks.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I honestly really don't have any problem witht he early part of the album at all. Lucky Animals has grown on me and I think True North and Liberation are pretty god damned awesome. Oh well, more amazing music for me I guess :)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Anyone know if Devin will be playing before or after Katatonia tonight @ GAMH in SF tonight?

edit: did some research, looks like Devin and Katatonia take turns headlining and it's Katatonia's turn tonight.

second edit: he played lucky animals and a lot of people were doing his youtube dance. it was pretty bloody awesome.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 8, 2012

Bolt
Dec 14, 2004
k
That show was great. Wish he would have encored, even if it was just some acoustic songs.

FrankenVader
Sep 12, 2004
Polymer Records
I'm seeing him in Houston on tuesday and hoping like gently caress he plays "where we belong".

Ear boners

Cantskate43
Jun 3, 2007

Hello? Dominos?

d3rt posted:

second edit: he played lucky animals and a lot of people were doing his youtube dance. it was pretty bloody awesome.

Saw him tonight in L.A. and before the song he admitted how much he hates the song already.

I gotta say, I feel sorry for Katatonia on the nights they headline. They put on a good show, but to come on after Devin bouncing around on stage and being a general gleeful idiot would make it tough for them to top that.

Setlist from the first two headlining nights. Its slightly different and shorter on nights that Katatonia headlines.

Supercrush
More!
Kingdom
Regulator
Planet of the Apes
Where We Belong
War
Vampira
Lucky Animals
Liberation
Juular
Grace
Bad Devil

Edit: Forgot the opener. I copy and pasted the setlist from the other show he headlined, and the openers were different. I think this was the setlist for L.A. I may be off by a song. Either way, it's a good example of what you're going to hear at one of his shows.

Cantskate43 fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 9, 2012

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

God drat that setlist. With the sheer volume of material he has, it's good to see that he's still willing to play the older stuff. Gonna have to play with the budget and see if I can get to either the Philly or NYC show in two weeks.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Epicloud is brilliant and my only complaint is how short it is. I want it to go on for hours!

I enjoyed the entire album and I'm suprised how quickly Lucky Animals has grown on me. Themeatically it's a very light experience, I'm not as enraptured by the lyrics like I was in Deconstruction (In a "Holy poo poo, did I just hear that right?" sort of way) or Addicted, but it all sounds as bombastic and loud as you expect a Devin album to sound. Regarding the first half, really my only complaint is I was hoping True North would consist of more of the cheerful "I love you, I need you" bounciness but instead it collapses into Devin's usual chaos which was kind of disappointing.

All in all it's a fantastic addition to the DTP line and you can tell it's something that Devin has really wanted to do. I'm not sure if I like it as much as Addicted, but it's kind of hard to compare it with the rest of his albums as it seems to be a pick n' mix of all the things he's learned from his previous works.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

There's definite echoes of the four last albums (except maybe Ki, sadly) in there. The verse vocals on 'Save Our Now' remind me of Ghost, for example. It's a pretty great album. There's even some metalcore (or melodeath I don't know) guitar work at the end of More! that surprised me when I first heard them, but they work really well and is evidence of the guy's ability to bring a bunch of different sounds together.

Also on the final part of Liberated 'when it's time to forget all ABOOT you' had me grinning. I'm glad the wacky poo poo took more of a backseat this time, I felt it got in the way on Deconstruction a bit.

Causalities Of Cool sounds like it might well be Ki Pt. 2, so once that's here I will be truly happy. Great album.

Cantskate43
Jun 3, 2007

Hello? Dominos?

a big fat bunny posted:

God drat that setlist. With the sheer volume of material he has, it's good to see that he's still willing to play the older stuff. Gonna have to play with the budget and see if I can get to either the Philly or NYC show in two weeks.

Beg, cheat, steal, whore yourself out, do whatever it takes to see him. I go to a ton of concerts and see tons of A list bands, and the show tonight is probably in the top 5 of the close to 100 shows I've been to. There's just an incredible energy coming from stage that infects the crowd. And Devin is just a riot on stage. He's also the nicest guy. After the show he thanked every single person who was near the stage for coming to the show personally. You know, actually looking each of us in the eye, shaking our hands, and thanking us.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Can confirm Dev's awesomeness live, he played his first live gig in Ireland last year, it was great, I was right up the front and shook his hand at the end and even managed to get a guitar pick.

Also the show was amazing.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Cantskate43 posted:

Kingdom
Regulator

That's like the best two songs in a row ever

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Tsaedje posted:

That's like the best two songs in a row ever

gently caress yes they are.

Cantskate43
Jun 3, 2007

Hello? Dominos?

Minto Took posted:

gently caress yes they are.

I was wrong More! was inbetween them. Still an awesome 3 songs in a row.

LorentzViolator
Sep 6, 2006
The bonus demos are good too! 'Love Tonight' wouldn't have been out of place on Ocean Machine.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I was immensely sceptical of this album. Addicted! felt like bottled lightening, a one off pop metal masterpiece. Epicloud has proven me totally wrong. I wasn't massively keen on it on a first listen, but I gave it another proper go today on my commute to work and loved it. When I got chills during the opening chords of "Where We Belong", that's when I knew that this album was wonderful...

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

LorentzViolator posted:

The bonus demos are good too! 'Love Tonight' wouldn't have been out of place on Ocean Machine.

After a couple of listens, I think Epicloud is good but not great. Not much really grabs me and it doesn't seem to have much depth. I'll give it more time but so far it's not one of my favourites.

The bonus disc on the other hand is amazing. So many great songs, well worth getting.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Just got home from the trip to the Houston gig. MADNESS. Also way more people than I'm used to getting thrown out for starting trouble in the pit region. Paradise Lost apparently had the intestinal death flu or something, they were unable to play, but I dug pretty much everything on display (Stolen Babies were cool when they weren't doing the Danny Elfman gothy polka thing and just, as Dev would say, crushed it.)

Also oh my god Supercrush/Kingdom/Truth/Babysong/Regulator to open I can die now

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I wasn't able to go to the Seattle show. I've made most of them over the past few years and have really wanted Regulator and/or Earth Day to be played but it never was. Figures the show I miss had 1 of them. Those were the two songs that got me hooked on Dev after I saw SYL at a multi-band concert years ago and my interest was caught.

I find when I have a few Epicloud songs in my head they easily turn into other Dev songs. I love the continuity in his work, but his loss of interest in heavy stuff seems noticeable. I'm curious how Z2 will end up. As amazing as these last albums have been, ZtO was the last full album I absolutely loved where as the subsequent works have had parts I didn't care much for. I rarely listen to a full DTP album like I did most DTB albums. It was hit and miss for SYL stuff, too.

Absolutely love the man and his work, though, and will always look forward to what he presents. I wish he could get a stadium show like his music deserves.

neillyb
Nov 15, 2005

People say alcohol is a drug. It's not a drug, it's a drink
Fantastic album, love it. Sitting here bouncing around like a headcase to Liberation for perhaps the fifth time, which I think is the point of the album summed up in one song - have a good loving time and forget the bullshit.

I really like Lucky Animals, I think the bridge in the middle (motorbike bit) is awesome. Grace is addictive, as is Angel and More!.

Looking forward for my pre-ordered digipack to arrive so I can hear what's on CD2 and to the 10th December for the show in Paris. Saw him last year in March in Glasgow and it was the tits, really want to hear some of these party tunes live and just have a blast.

FrankenVader
Sep 12, 2004
Polymer Records

Allen Wren posted:

Just got home from the trip to the Houston gig. MADNESS.

Also oh my god Supercrush/Kingdom/Truth/Babysong/Regulator to open I can die now

I was at that show...loving awesome show. I saw Devy last year in PA and it was just a bunch of boneheads standing around with their arms crossed..but they ate it up in Houston.

Also, Liberation kills live.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Got back from the Lawrence KS show. Thank god he finally came closer to me than Denver, since I can never seem to make it over there. Anyways, I guess our unique songs were Seventh Wave to open it and then Color Your World in the middle.

His show was definitely the best, not only with the pre-show projector entertainment (which must have been set on his "WTF playlist") but he kept mugging for all the cameras the entire time and it was just great.

Agar Agar
Jun 14, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

Just got home from the trip to the Houston gig. MADNESS. Also way more people than I'm used to getting thrown out for starting trouble in the pit region. Paradise Lost apparently had the intestinal death flu or something, they were unable to play, but I dug pretty much everything on display (Stolen Babies were cool when they weren't doing the Danny Elfman gothy polka thing and just, as Dev would say, crushed it.)

What was up with all of the fighting? I saw at least 3, one of which was a girl wailing on some dude.

Also, here are some videos of that show that I took. They are kind of shaky because hey, I like to tap my foot at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrR-zKFv_Pw -Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc_ts1lw1Kc -Grace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVkcT722CnI -Babysong

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I'm considering driving to Denver for the show tomorrow. Never seen Devin live, but it seems like just about the greatest time. I'm just not really that keen on most Katatonia stuff and they're headlining. Still, it's probably worth it. I can always leave after Devin's set.

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

He͔̻̖͕ ͕͈̺͕̜c̯̜͇̲o̜͖̦m͙es͔̞̬̗͙.̥

neillyb posted:

Looking forward for my pre-ordered digipack to arrive so I can hear what's on CD2.
CD2 quite honestly is amazing. In fact as a whole it might be better than Epicloud.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
This October might just be the best month ever. Seeing Devin in Hamburg and, three weeks later, Meshuggah will be there. I got kind of bored with Devin after Deconstruction, as I did not like Ghost too much, but his new Youtube videos are hilarious. The video of his performance of "The Mighty Masturbator" in London gave me goosebumps. This might be better than Rammstein, in a way.

VIRGIN HEAT
May 1, 2009

Is Liberation a Wildhearts-inspired track? There's definitely something there. I know Resolve! was on Addicted, are there any others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Agar Agar posted:

What was up with all of the fighting? I saw at least 3, one of which was a girl wailing on some dude.

Also, here are some videos of that show that I took. They are kind of shaky because hey, I like to tap my foot at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrR-zKFv_Pw -Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc_ts1lw1Kc -Grace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVkcT722CnI -Babysong

(You may have seen me, I was the fairly-goony dude in a bright yellow t-shirt near the front---it totally feels weird to not have a metal shirt on at a metal show. I was thinking of wearing my Sleep shirt, but I changed my mind at the last minute. Regret.)

As goes the fighting, I'm not 100% sure---there were a lot of drunks (I chatted with a fairly hilarious set from Austin), but there were some that were just plain volatile, they'd just start pounding on passerby or invading your space. The pit wobbled back and forth between "good times with shoving people" and "man, there is an evil incursion upon my personal being, and it's making us all really uncomfortable."

• Locked thread