Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

sicDaniel posted:

This October might just be the best month ever. Seeing Devin in Hamburg and, three weeks later, Meshuggah will be there.

Meanwhile, in Florida, we get loving nothing. gently caress you. gently caress all of you. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

He͔̻̖͕ ͕͈̺͕̜c̯̜͇̲o̜͖̦m͙es͔̞̬̗͙.̥
I was surprised to find a package from Century Media on my doorstep today. Got my album & teddy bear. Did not expect it to show up so early.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Allen Wren posted:

(You may have seen me, I was the fairly-goony dude in a bright yellow t-shirt near the front---it totally feels weird to not have a metal shirt on at a metal show. I was thinking of wearing my Sleep shirt, but I changed my mind at the last minute. Regret.)

As goes the fighting, I'm not 100% sure---there were a lot of drunks (I chatted with a fairly hilarious set from Austin), but there were some that were just plain volatile, they'd just start pounding on passerby or invading your space. The pit wobbled back and forth between "good times with shoving people" and "man, there is an evil incursion upon my personal being, and it's making us all really uncomfortable."

Wow, I would never have expected that at a Devy show. My only complaints about the crowd at Dev shows is the reception to the support is often poo poo/rude, because the people there just want to see Dev. There is also a lot of "who is the bigger fan" competition that gets a bit wearisome/grating after a while, but I've never seen a fight. When I saw Addicted live in London it was one of the best atmospheres of any gig I've ever been to. I was on the barrier between a couple who had flown over from New Hampshire and another couple from Scotland. I saw the Scottish couple at the Deconstruction show the following night and it was awesome.

(Not sure if they were actually Scottish but I think they went to see Pain of Salvation with Opeth in Edinburgh the night before)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

nomapple posted:

Wow, I would never have expected that at a Devy show. My only complaints about the crowd at Dev shows is the reception to the support is often poo poo/rude, because the people there just want to see Dev. There is also a lot of "who is the bigger fan" competition that gets a bit wearisome/grating after a while, but I've never seen a fight. When I saw Addicted live in London it was one of the best atmospheres of any gig I've ever been to. I was on the barrier between a couple who had flown over from New Hampshire and another couple from Scotland. I saw the Scottish couple at the Deconstruction show the following night and it was awesome.

(Not sure if they were actually Scottish but I think they went to see Pain of Salvation with Opeth in Edinburgh the night before)

The support acts actually got some pretty decent love from the Houston crowd compared to some shows I've been at in the past---there was definitely a Katatonia contingent there, and even a few people who knew Stolen Babies' catalog, and the rest of the crowd was pretty cool with them as well. (Like I said, when they weren't playing the Danny Elfman polka, they were awesome.)

I think the atmosphere was a little more "this is a gig on a tour", whereas the London shows were booked as "an event." (I mean, gently caress if I know, I wasn't there.) With that, you've got some people who are just there for the metal show whoooooooooo.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Allen Wren posted:

The support acts actually got some pretty decent love from the Houston crowd compared to some shows I've been at in the past---there was definitely a Katatonia contingent there, and even a few people who knew Stolen Babies' catalog, and the rest of the crowd was pretty cool with them as well. (Like I said, when they weren't playing the Danny Elfman polka, they were awesome.)

I think the atmosphere was a little more "this is a gig on a tour", whereas the London shows were booked as "an event." (I mean, gently caress if I know, I wasn't there.) With that, you've got some people who are just there for the metal show whoooooooooo.

I hope the crowd reacts well to Stolen Babies when I see them. I am practically going 50% to see them.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

VIRGIN HEAT posted:

Is Liberation a Wildhearts-inspired track? There's definitely something there. I know Resolve! was on Addicted, are there any others?

I don't know, but I thought it sounded very Wildhearts too.

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

Addicted! is probably my favorite of the DTP albums so far because of Anneke. I hated Epicloud on first listen, but I'm tackling it again with headphones and it's finally clicking. The production makes the album. Also, I like "Lucky Animals." Am I crazy?

JonnyRevolta
Dec 21, 2010
Not a big metal head but Devin Townsend always seemed super rad to me. Absolutely love his Punky Brüster - Cooked on Phonics album

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

JonnyRevolta posted:

Not a big metal head but Devin Townsend always seemed super rad to me. Absolutely love his Punky Brüster - Cooked on Phonics album

If you dig that record, you'll probably get a kick out of his more recent Ziltoid The Omniscient LP, it's about an alien seeking the ultimate cup of black coffee (to power his spaceship's engines with.) It's got a lot of HRRRRGH METAL moments on it, but it's also got the full gamut of silly voices and such.

JonnyRevolta
Dec 21, 2010
Definately gonna check that out, thanks

Agar Agar
Jun 14, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

(You may have seen me, I was the fairly-goony dude in a bright yellow t-shirt near the front---it totally feels weird to not have a metal shirt on at a metal show. I was thinking of wearing my Sleep shirt, but I changed my mind at the last minute. Regret.)

As goes the fighting, I'm not 100% sure---there were a lot of drunks (I chatted with a fairly hilarious set from Austin), but there were some that were just plain volatile, they'd just start pounding on passerby or invading your space. The pit wobbled back and forth between "good times with shoving people" and "man, there is an evil incursion upon my personal being, and it's making us all really uncomfortable."

I was kind of in the back/middle. We showed up late because I didn't know/care to see whoever the first band was. Plus my lady friend was with me and I didn't want to bust her ear drums or get her into a fight. All in all it was a good show. I was going to hit the Dallas one the next night but I didn't feel like driving another 6 hours (total).

JonnyRevolta posted:

I was really disappointed at the crowd reaction when he played some Punky for an encore in London for Deconstruction. I think even he was (probably because he said something like, "File this under never do again"), which is probably why it won't happen again for a very long time. Sucks, because I love that album.

JonnyRevolta
Dec 21, 2010
That's a drat shame, that album is really killer. I would pay way more than is reasonable to catch him do an actual Punky Brüster set, or dare I dream, a sequel.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Agar Agar posted:

I was really disappointed at the crowd reaction when he played some Punky for an encore in London for Deconstruction. I think even he was (probably because he said something like, "File this under never do again"), which is probably why it won't happen again for a very long time. Sucks, because I love that album.

If I was in that crowd for Deconstruction, I would've hoped for some SYL.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I was hoping for an SYL song, too. I wonder how he feels about that side of his music. If I had the chance to go to a VIP deal again I would like to ask if he wants to put that music to rest, or if he'll ever play any of the songs again. It seems like something he's wanted to separate himself from.

I didn't care much for it until a few years ago and now SYL or Alien are very frequently on my playlist. I regret being so clueless when I saw him for the first time in SYL.

Typo92
Nov 6, 2009
For the people who have been to shows on the current tour...how close to capacity have the crowds been? Debating whether or not to buy tickets in advance despite not having transportation to the gig confirmed yet.

Agar Agar
Jun 14, 2007

AzureSkys posted:

I was hoping for an SYL song, too. I wonder how he feels about that side of his music. If I had the chance to go to a VIP deal again I would like to ask if he wants to put that music to rest, or if he'll ever play any of the songs again. It seems like something he's wanted to separate himself from.

I didn't care much for it until a few years ago and now SYL or Alien are very frequently on my playlist. I regret being so clueless when I saw him for the first time in SYL.

I believe he has said that SYL is forever done. I saw them live in Houston once many years ago. I hadn't heard of him/them before and I hated every minute of it. I kick myself often.

Typo92 posted:

For the people who have been to shows on the current tour...how close to capacity have the crowds been? Debating whether or not to buy tickets in advance despite not having transportation to the gig confirmed yet.

The Houston venue was kind of small-ish. Otherwise it was still pretty easily to move around.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

AzureSkys posted:

I saw him last week and someone shouted for Wrong Side in between songs and he said something to the effect of "I love Strapping, but I don't want to do that anymore! I wanna do this now!"

He was good but I was more interested in Katatonia who killed it.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Devin pretty much isn't the same person as he was during SYL and a big part of why I love this dude so much is because the music is so honest. He's said that's the reason he won't do SYL stuff anymore, because he can't play the songs 100% from the heart, because that isn't him anymore since he's clean and whatever. Also I've got the feeling that SYL took off harder than Devin expected, and he wanted to be known for his solo stuff instead of just SYL and now that it's happened he wants to do his own stuff for a while and I'm fine with that.

My friend chatted up Byron Stroud like a year back when he was signing stuff at a record store or something, and he said he'd wanted a SYL reunion cause the songs are really fun and everything, but it's up to Devin. Who knows what he'll do after he's gotten all of this awesome music out of his system, a strapping reunion doesn't sound impossible at some point in the future. I'm rambling like an idiot here, but I could just talk about this dude all day long. :allears:

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

junan_paalla posted:

I'm rambling like an idiot here, but I could just talk about this dude all day long. :allears:
Feel the same. What's been interesting to me is how accessible he is. I grew up listening to huge world-renowned bands with giant concerts and no way to actually talk or interact with them. Then I discover Dev's music as a young adult which floors and changes me. He then becomes a huge monumental figure of inspiration and what not.

Then by chance he plays a small, free acoustic show and walks in the door unannounced stopping right next me. We chat for about 5 minutes followed by another chat a bit later. Ryan VP has responded to tweets I've sent, Dave Young chatted with me after a show and gave me the set list. I've had other conversations, actual conversations, not just quick hand shake-move down the line, with Dev at various venues.

Being able to tell someone how much their music means to me, then have them say how much my listening means to them is just incredible.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Bruce Boxliker posted:

I saw him last week and someone shouted for Wrong Side in between songs and he said something to the effect of "I love Strapping, but I don't want to do that anymore! I wanna do this now!"

Really? That's the song you call out for?!

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Seeing him tonight at the Bottom Lounge. This is going to rule.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I missed the show in Denver, but I danced to Divine at my wedding so I'm happy.

Godzillas Gorilla
Mar 9, 2007

I'm extremely excited for the lineup with him and Katatonia during their tour. I'll be seeing the show in Baltimore next Monday, and I'm just as psyched to see Paradise Lost and Stolen Babies.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I dunno about you guys but I'd kill for an Addicted/Epicloud versions of Far Beyond Metal, Underneath The Waves, Love? and so on.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
His remake of Love? should be called Love! and all the lyrics will be about how awesome love is.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
I'm kicking myself for not going to see Devin when he opened for Children of Bodom in Atlanta last year. I figured he'd be back around but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Got back from the show and it was loving absurdly good.

Shook Dev's hand twice then he looked at me and said, "thank you for coming back."

:stare:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
So the iTunes versions of Epicloud all have two seconds of silence at the end of every track, making it really loving annoying to listen to.

Maute
Jan 15, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

Just got home from the trip to the Houston gig. MADNESS. Also way more people than I'm used to getting thrown out for starting trouble in the pit region. Paradise Lost apparently had the intestinal death flu or something, they were unable to play, but I dug pretty much everything on display (Stolen Babies were cool when they weren't doing the Danny Elfman gothy polka thing and just, as Dev would say, crushed it.)

Also oh my god Supercrush/Kingdom/Truth/Babysong/Regulator to open I can die now

Hey, I was also at this gig! Right at the barricade, towards the right side of the stage. I took a bunch of pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/8GZTd

The fighting was unfortunate, but the actual show was amazing. Plus, I got my copy of Epicloud signed after the show plus Dave Young's guitar pick.

The setlist from that night:

1. Supercrush!
2. Truth
3. Kingdom
4. Babysong
5. Regulator
6. Planet of the Apes
7. Where We Belong
8. War
9. Vampira
10. Lucky Animals
11. Liberation
12. Juular
13. Grace
14. Bad Devil

Maute fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 18, 2012

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Addicted is my favourite of the "quadrilogy" by far, but Epicloud kinda underwhelmed me. True North, Liberation, Save Our Now, and More!.. those are the ones I'd pick out as being really good. Even the rerecord of Kingdom hasn't really grabbed me after a few listens.

Epiclouder, I hate to say because I friggin love Devin, is boring as poo poo. There's a couple glimmers of potential coolness in Quietus and.. one near the end. I literally just finished listening to it and I can't remember which was the other song I didn't think sucked.

Looking forward to Casualties of Cool more than ever. Devin does awesome chill-out.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

About to head out to the Toronto show, I fully expect a wild time with Devin hijinx spread all around.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Diet Poison posted:

Epiclouder, I hate to say because I friggin love Devin, is boring as poo poo. There's a couple glimmers of potential coolness in Quietus and.. one near the end. I literally just finished listening to it and I can't remember which was the other song I didn't think sucked.
I don't know that I'd be quite as harsh but I basically agree with you. I was super excited after hearing people in this thread rave about it (saying it was better than Epicloud) but I listened to it twice and can't imagine playing it again.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Epiclouder is definitely a different animal, but I think it's got plenty of merit. There are a couple of not so great tracks, but as a whole I think it's really good. It's made even more awesome to think that these tracks are just leftovers. Quietus, The Mind Wasp, Whoa No!, Love and Marriage, and Socialization all kick rear end, and having five totally kickass songs on a ten track bonus album is good enough for me. The other five songs aren't even bad, they're just not as kickass as the five kickass ones. I think Happy Birthday and Love Tonight* are the only ones I don't really like.

Granted, it probably won't get as many listens as Epicloud, but for just being some demos, it's really impressive.

*Edit: Actually, gently caress that, Love Tonight is fantastic.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 20, 2012

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Pumped, going to the show in Worcester tonight. Asked Devin on twitter and he said he's going on last :dance:

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

He͔̻̖͕ ͕͈̺͕̜c̯̜͇̲o̜͖̦m͙es͔̞̬̗͙.̥
I wish I didn't live in the middle of nowhere :( Never can afford a trip to see Devin from where I am.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm so loving pissed. I was front and center for Devin tonight and I accidentally elbowed a guy midway through the set and the security guys thought I did it on purpose and threw me out. I am so, so, so pissed right now. The show was amazing up until that point (well Stolen Babies and Devin were, Paradise Lost was alright and I found Katatonia as dull as I always so).

So pissed.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Some Epicloud bonus tracks have surfaced on Youtube.

This one is just awesome, I can definitely see it appearing on Reconstruction (the album I told Devin he should do after Z2). It is chaotic but does not sound as angry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47L9npNWOIE

Bonus video, Old-rear end Devin vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtjLn5cTJfU

henpod fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 24, 2012

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

henpod posted:

Bonus video, Old-rear end Devin vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtjLn5cTJfU

Oh man. That's cringe-worthingly endearing.

Typo92
Nov 6, 2009
Caught the show last night in Baltimore. Wasn't that excited for the setlist on paper, but the performance more than made up for it. The guy brings unbelievable energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I didn't see it mentioned before, but there's a preorder for Epicloud on blue vinyl up now.

http://www.cmdistro.com/Item/Devin_Townsend_-_Epicloud_-2LP-_-Blue-_-PRE-ORDER-/43432

• Locked thread