Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anti_product
Jul 20, 2007

...so just shut your face and take a seat 'cause after all you're just talking meat...

Hammer Floyd posted:

Oh man. That's cringe-worthingly endearing.

Yeah, the video is awesome and not awesome at the same time, but the song is one of my favorites. I'm having it played at my funeral. In fact, all the songs are going to be Devy or SYL, Ocean Machine, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Looks like he's got a new website up:
http://www.devintownsend.com/

Nothing much new up there but it's fun to look at

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

teen bear posted:

Looks like he's got a new website up:
http://www.devintownsend.com/

Nothing much new up there but it's fun to look at

Holy poo poo, this kicks rear end. Fuckin' love the loading screen.

I really like the Discography page (click the rock at the bottom with the word 'Let's' on it).

Also, there's a dedicated spot for 'band members'. I always thought the Devin Townsend Project was a temporary thing for a set number of albums. (Thought it was gonna be four, but then it got extended for Epicloud and Casualties of Cool.) Is this band going to do Z2 too?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFnglSAJTQ8

This is pretty cool, works well, although having three different vocals pushes it a bit.

henpod fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 28, 2012

Clustard
Sep 30, 2012
I honestly haven't listened to a whole lot of Devin's stuff, but I am absolutely in love with this video. It's Deadhead, but I love the video. He'd get the gold in the mean muggin' Olympics for sure, I love it. And that skullet is so brutal.

But I have a question. Which album has songs similar to this? Like that kind of ambient wall of noise music in that video. Basically what I'm asking is an album recommendation.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wall Of Noise is Devin Townsend. There's probably something on pretty much everything of his that you'd like (Except maybe Ghost or Ki, but both are great as well and worth keeping in mind)

I'd go for Terria, Ocean Machine and Ziltoid in that order. After that, go nuts :).

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Clustard posted:

But I have a question. Which album has songs similar to this? Like that kind of ambient wall of noise music in that video. Basically what I'm asking is an album recommendation.

Deadhead is off of Accelerated Evolution, probably his most accessible album. After that, I would suggest Synchestra, and then Addicted.

Viivac
Jan 5, 2005

I need a cheaper hobby
^^ All good suggestions. I'd also add Terria to the list due to it being literally an ethereal wall of sound (and my favourite Dev album anyway).

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

Revol posted:

Is this band going to do Z2 too?

I honestly hope not. I don't think he'd be able to pull off a very fitting sequel to Ziltoid unless he locks himself up for a few months and does it all on his own again.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Clustard posted:

I honestly haven't listened to a whole lot of Devin's stuff, but I am absolutely in love with this video. It's Deadhead, but I love the video. He'd get the gold in the mean muggin' Olympics for sure, I love it. And that skullet is so brutal.

I'm equally a huge fan of his 'Wall of Sound' style of music, and my favorite albums are Addicted and Ziltoid. In fact, my favorite songs on Addicted are the title track, supercrush and hyperdrive, but I prefer the Ziltoid version of hyperdrive.

Ocean machine can feel a little lighter (relatively), as well as Accelerated Evolution and Terria, so I'd say this: Listen to Seventh Wave (Ocean machine), Supercrush (or Addicted) and if you like the former, go with Accelerated Evolution/Ocean machine/Terria. If you prefer supercrush, go with Ziltoid and Addicted.

edit - Bonus points for Ziltoid being A Perfect Album.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Olibu posted:

I honestly hope not. I don't think he'd be able to pull off a very fitting sequel to Ziltoid unless he locks himself up for a few months and does it all on his own again.

I'd be cool with that as long as he gets real drums this time. That was the real downside of Ziltoid 1.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Much agreement about ZtO being perfect. I went through it last week for the billionth time and am always astounded by it. I think that's what plays part in sort of being less than thrilled with the DTP works. ZtO was sort of a capstone to me of all his styles from DTB, SYL, and even DevLab put into one incredible piece of work he did all on his own.

There still has been incredible work done after, but looking back at that time and the years just before it definitely had a different vibe. Watching that Deadhead track from Safe Zone brought it all back again. The guitar work he does in that little 'show' just blows me away and it's a sound I don't think he can do anymore. I kind of miss that Dev, though I'm so happy he's doing what he wishes to do and feels right about rather than forcing something that's not him anymore.

I'm grateful he's still doing what he's doing and look forward to what's to come.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

User0015 posted:

I'm equally a huge fan of his 'Wall of Sound' style of music, and my favorite albums are Addicted and Ziltoid. In fact, my favorite songs on Addicted are the title track, supercrush and hyperdrive, but I prefer the Ziltoid version of hyperdrive.

:O No mention of Awake which has the best clean vocals he's ever done?

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
I literally was listening to Awake when I wrote that. Well, that and Numbered. I just thought the other two drew a finer line for what Clustard was looking for. I honestly like the entire album, except maybe the way home or ih-ah is a little weak.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

User0015 posted:

ih-ah is a little weak.

Blasphemy.

Although I would like to know why it's called Ih-Ah when the lyrics sound like Ah-Ih

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I skip Ih-Ah every single time. I simply do not like that song.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Revol posted:

I skip Ih-Ah every single time. I simply do not like that song.

^

The Way Home is also really good. It does a lot of cool things texturally.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I didn't know it was possible to hate Ih-Ah.

In other news: Grace is probably the best song off Epicloud. If somebody wants to know what Epicloud is, I'll get them to listen to Grace. Goddamn that song is loving awesome.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Hammer Floyd posted:

In other news: Grace is probably the best song off Epicloud. If somebody wants to know what Epicloud is, I'll get them to listen to Grace. Goddamn that song is loving awesome.

I have a new habit of listening to Stand and then Grace. Goddamnit they are so good.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
You can't hate on Ih-Ah after seeing the live one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPHDcwpEfBc

I was there when this was recorded and it was loving magical, a very warm atmosphere.

henpod fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 8, 2012

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Hammer Floyd posted:

I just find it incredibly boring.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
poo poo, man. Ih-Ah is my favourite Devin song right now. Studio or live. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
According to facebook, you can stream the retinal circus show for like 10e. That's a sweet loving deal if you can't be there physically.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I'm really looking forward to the retinal circus. I don't know why Devin favours my home town of London so much with his bigger shows, but I am drat glad that he does. I went to see the 'by a thread' shows and the premier of the DVD. No idea what to expect with this, but Devin getting the budget to do some madness is a very exciting prospect.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Here's the pay per view thing.
http://www.livemusicstage.com/retinal-circus

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

He͔̻̖͕ ͕͈̺͕̜c̯̜͇̲o̜͖̦m͙es͔̞̬̗͙.̥

henpod posted:

You can't hate on Ih-Ah after seeing the live one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPHDcwpEfBc

I was there when this was recorded and it was loving magical, a very warm atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U1iP_4zqvc Imo the best sounding version of Ih-Ah!

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I submitted a reply hoping to win a free streaming ticket (it's about ZtO)
http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/10/09/contest-win-a-free-live-stream-of-devin-townsends-sold-out-retinal-circus-performance/

Fingers crossed!

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Gojira, Devin Townsend, and The Atlas Moth Announce North American Tour
http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/10/22/gojira-devin-townsend-and-the-atlas-moth-announce-north-american-tour/

:stare:

Holy moley, this is pretty much the best news.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Damnit! Stop Playing the Palladium! Well, here's hoping I don't get thrown out this time :(

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Drunk Canuck posted:

http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/10/22/gojira-devin-townsend-and-the-atlas-moth-announce-north-american-tour/

That tour is going to be amazing.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
A good metal show in Florida? The world really is ending in December.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Drunk Canuck posted:

Good god yes. Definitely makes up for missing Devin on his last round of touring since I've been wanting to see Gojira for a few years now.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
drat. I'd have to drive like 400 miles for that, but it might be worth it.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Oh my god an Atlanta show! I'm buying tickets the minute they go on sale.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I'm excited but now I have to drive to Worcester.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
God fuckin gently caress yes. Devin's Canadian enough to not skip over Saskatoon.

I hope he plays Ih-Ah. Don't even give a poo poo if he's here with The Heaviest Band In The Universe. He should still play Ih-Ah.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
The Retinal Circus is being recorded for Blu ray/CD, right? I might have to miss the stream .

Typo92
Nov 6, 2009
Devin+Gojira is a show I would pay 3 figures for easily.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Devin just posted on Facebook that a few Retinal Circus tickets are available.
http://www.kililive.com/artists/devin-townsend-presents-the-retinal-circus/
Get them before they get snatched up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
No Colorado for the Gojira/Dev tour?! I guess this makes up for him hitting us twice last year.

• Locked thread