Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Apathy
Apr 5, 2009

henpod posted:

I do want to support The Dev, but a beer glass for £32...

It is for 2 of them, but still that's a bit much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Goobish posted:

Oh GOD the furries :cry: I've been trying to get my boyfriend to enjoy Devin as much as I do, but now he has even more freakin' ammunition to make fun of Devin. It used to just be, "All of Devin's fans are insane," and now it's, "All of Devin's fans are furries and insane." :doh:

the name of the song is lucky animals you idiot

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Those On My Left posted:

the name of the song is lucky animals you idiot

That's a little harsh dude. Maybe you should chillout and drink a juicebox or something.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Devin's my favorite artist. How did I not know Epicloud was out already? :psyduck:

Fantastic loving album. One of the best all around I have heard in years, and definitely one of Devin's best recent works. I loved most of the quadrilogy, but there were definitely some flaws in them. Epicloud is like the best of everything mixed together. "Save Our Now" is gorgeous, and "Kingdom" is flawless. The first time I heard it on Physicist was probably the closest to a religious experience I've had, and hearing it with bigger production is amazing.

Looks like I need to ask for a certain Los Angeles concert coming up in January for Christmas this year. :toot:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Kingdom on Epicloud is the best studio recording he has done in a really long time. It takes an already great song and makes it so much more powerful.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.

Revol posted:

Kingdom on Epicloud is the best studio recording he has done in a really long time. It takes an already great song and makes it so much more powerful.

It is. His opera delivery on the song makes me chuckle but I like it better than the Physicist version.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
That's not surprising, the version on Physicist sounds like someone went out of their way to ruin a song.

O. Henry O-Face
Sep 16, 2009

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

That's not surprising, the version on Physicist sounds like someone went out of their way to ruin a song.

I think it's because he squashed all of the dynamics out of the vocals on physicist, and then distorted them. I'm so glad he re-mixed it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Re-recorded, I thought.

I would be into a full remix/remaster of Physicist, though. Material is quite probably my favorite Dev moment ever.

Viivac
Jan 5, 2005

I need a cheaper hobby

Allen Wren posted:

I would be into a full remix/remaster of Physicist, though. Material is quite probably my favorite Dev moment ever.
This. It should really be re-recorded with larger production, but I'll take a remix any day.

Devin said recently that he might do older stuff in a new coat so to speak. No mention on whole albums though.

Edit: It's actually on the listener commentary for Epicloud he says this. There are several Physicist songs he wants to redo.

Viivac fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 12, 2012

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Listening to Physicist right now and would love to hear a remastered version. It's like a another SYL 'City'.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
And Devin has released his most eagerly anticipated piece of "music" this year. A collaboration with Fear Factory titled "The First Movement", for reasons that should rapidly become obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZfhrFzG5OI

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Going to reply before I listen. It's about pooping isn't it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Schizotek posted:

Going to reply before I listen. It's about pooping isn't it.

Close, but no,

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

It's a Deconstruction bonus track

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Just saw Devin tonight in Manchester. He was awesome.

Had a stupid smile on my face all the way through - I think I could watch Devin just gurn along to anything for an evening and it would be awesome. I wish every show was that fun!
The background video during the show and before he came on were also great

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 16, 2012

iamathousandapples
Jul 12, 2012

Tomarse posted:

Just saw Devin tonight in Manchester. He was awesome.

Had a stupid smile on my face all the way through - I think I could watch Devin just gurn along to anything for an evening and it would be awesome. I wish every show was that fun!
The background video during the show and before he came on were also great

Did they show Meatball?

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've been on a big Devin kick lately. I've got Deconstruct, Addicted, Ziltoid, and Epicloud. What should I pick up next?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Ocean Machine. I still maintain it's his most consistent release.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shankel Magnus posted:

I've been on a big Devin kick lately. I've got Deconstruct, Addicted, Ziltoid, and Epicloud. What should I pick up next?

SYL's Alien. People always bang on about City but for me, Alien is SYL's best.
Also get Ghost, it's completely different but it's so, so good.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I like Alien the best also. Skeksis is an absolute beast of a song, and Shitstorm is one of the most mental tracks he has done.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Consider Ki, as well, if you want to hear something different but not the complete opposite of Deconstruction that Ghost is. Also City or Alien (followed by just about any of the other three SYL discs). Gonna have to second Ocean Machine as a good pick that's also consistent from start to finish.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPPM977NfXQ

Arguably, the best song he's ever written.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

My favorite SYL has always been The New Black. It just seems more audible than all their other albums to me. It's what really got me started on Devin. Am I correct in that he starts his opera-like singing in that album, or am I missing it showing up in one of the previous albums? I admittedly can only listen to a few songs from Alien and City without my brain hemorrhaging.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I've been on a huge Devin Townsend kick recently too. With the exception of "Coast" I never was a huge fan of Ki but after hearing the whole album live on By A Thread I just can't listen to it enough.

By A Thread is simply amazing though, all the energy and crowd interaction adds so much, I wish I could've been there. Now to wait for Epicloud live.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Shankel Magnus posted:

Ocean Machine, Infinity and Terria are better than those albums in my opinion. I prefer Accelerated Evolution over Addicted's pop.

Stoat posted:

Ocean Machine. I still maintain it's his most consistent release.

Pretty much.

Goobish posted:

My favorite SYL has always been The New Black. It just seems more audible than all their other albums to me.

While music appreciation is subjective this is wrong. TNB sucked.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I really hate to be the 'the older stuff is better' guy especially since I still love Devin's work but Terria, OM, Infiniti and that entire era cannot be beat as far as his catalog goes.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

origami posted:

Ocean Machine, Infinity and Terria are better than those albums in my opinion. I prefer Accelerated Evolution over Addicted's pop.

Pretty much.

While music appreciation is subjective this is wrong. TNB sucked.

Well, my subjective opinion is that you are wrong! New Black had some really solid tracks, and was also when he started using his opera-style singing. What Devin fan wouldn't like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMapSKvhLPk

henpod fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 22, 2012

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Thanks for the replies! From what I've heard I may check out Ocean Machine. Also I haven't heard anyone mention Synchestra. What is the consensus on that album?

O. Henry O-Face
Sep 16, 2009

Shankel Magnus posted:

Thanks for the replies! From what I've heard I may check out Ocean Machine. Also I haven't heard anyone mention Synchestra. What is the consensus on that album?

It's one of my favorite albums, kind of has a different sound to it, very introspective. It started out a little hard to digest for me but it's become easily my second or third favorite album of his.

Kush Limbaugh
Oct 10, 2012

Shankel Magnus posted:

Synchestra is an amazing album. Along with Ki and Alien, it's probably my favorite thing Devin's ever released.
Pixillate is absolutely one of his crowning achievements. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzWkTZFPF3Y

Kush Limbaugh fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Dec 25, 2012

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Another telling you to have a look at Ocean Machine, then have a go at Infinity or Synchestra. Although you can't really go wrong with any of the solo albums (Even Physicist has its moments). In fact the only thing you should really stay away from is the self-titled SYL album. There is very little in it that sounds pleasant or interesting, and it's lyrically pretty dull too.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I think everyone's covered all the highlights at this point, but I've got to cover for the record that's probably the only one not mentioned (aside from weird stuff like Hummer or Devlab): Accelerated Evolution. Sure it's "the pop record", but it's the debut of RVP, it's got some of the best flat-out songs he's ever done (Storm Storm Storm STORM loving CHRIST), it's basically, along with Biomech and Terria, the third point in the line that ends at Epicloud.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

Allen Wren posted:

I think everyone's covered all the highlights at this point, but I've got to cover for the record that's probably the only one not mentioned (aside from weird stuff like Hummer or Devlab): Accelerated Evolution. Sure it's "the pop record", but it's the debut of RVP, it's got some of the best flat-out songs he's ever done (Storm Storm Storm STORM loving CHRIST), it's basically, along with Biomech and Terria, the third point in the line that ends at Epicloud.

Storm and Deadhead both have some of my favorite Dev vocals.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Shankel Magnus posted:

My favorite albums, along with Deconstruction, are Synchestra and Accelerated Evolution, along with SYL's Alien, and then City.

Minto Took posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPPM977NfXQ

Arguably, the best song he's ever written.

And it's the song Devin admits to having his worst solo.

I'd easily put Deadhead and Pixillate over Life any day.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Let's face it, Devin's music is so varied that there will never be a consensus among the fans about what his best album is, even though it's obviously Deconstruction.

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

He͔̻̖͕ ͕͈̺͕̜c̯̜͇̲o̜͖̦m͙es͔̞̬̗͙.̥

Watson! posted:

Synchestra is an amazing album. Along with Ki and Alien, it's probably my favorite thing Devin's ever released.
Pixillate is absolutely one of his crowning achievements. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzWkTZFPF3Y

Related to this, the live version of this song is just something else completely. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeAmR53mO6M

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Shankel Magnus posted:

I think it competes with Terria as my favorite Dev album. I just love the flow and atmosphere throughout.

Allen Wren posted:

I think Accelerated Evolution probably has some of the best overall Dev songwriting. It's just missing a bit of the atmosphere and depth of production that I tend to like in his work. So, sometimes it gets pushed down a bit further in his works than it really should be. I tend to think AE is the best starting point album for him, though.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

RDreamer posted:

I tend to think AE is the best starting point album for him, though.

I believe this is one of the few points that cannot be open for debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Revol posted:

I believe this is one of the few points that cannot be open for debate.

Yes it is :p. I reckon it's Ocean Machine. I'm actually not a huge fan of Infinity or AE. They're both kinda...typical. Synchestra, Terria, Ocean Machine, Ziltoid and the DTP are all very different albums and in my books, much more creative.

• Locked thread