Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
No love for Punky Bruster? :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I like it, but the thrust of the conversation is what record would be a reasonable starting place, which PB is not.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I say Addicted or Epicloud are the most accessible. I found Ocean Machine etc to be quite floaty and didnt grab me straight away. Some more straightforward catchy pop-Dev songs would be the better option for me.

SYL's Alien was the first I ever heard of him and it was love from there onwards.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Addicted is what got me way into Devin Townsend. I listened to SYL a little bit before that but I never got THAT into it. When I checked out his solo stuff it seemed corny so I didn't bother. Then a bunch of goons listed Addicted as their best of the year so I checked it out and I was hooked and have been hooked ever since. I even like SYL more. There are still a bunch of his album I haven't really had the chance to get into though.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Shankel Magnus posted:

I've been on a big Devin kick lately. I've got Deconstruct, Addicted, Ziltoid, and Epicloud. What should I pick up next?

1. I discovered Devin about two months ago because of this thread. Thanks. I enjoy this subforum as a tool to discover new music, and I like it when youtube clips are embedded in threads so I can give it a listen. Keep it up!

2. Epicloud was the first TDTP album I bought. Love it. Have played the poo poo out of it, and it has turned the heads of my really old, 40ish year old friends. Deconstructed I purchased second... I am still not in love with it, but still working on it. Ki third... so far it is my fave for some reason, but Kingdom remains my fave TDTP song.

3. To answer the quoted question, personally, I like Ki. It is a shitton more mellow than I usually listen to, but the dark undertones really move me, somehow.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN4KTO6S0tg

I can't believe I only just now discovered this Devin Townsend cover of Frank Sinatra's "New York, New York"

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

slogsdon posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN4KTO6S0tg

I can't believe I only just now discovered this Devin Townsend cover of Frank Sinatra's "New York, New York"

Some of his best vocals ever.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

It really does take a song like that for him to really let his voice off the leash and show it for what it can be. He's acutally quite refrained in normal songs.

See also: Steve Vai - Sex & Religion (watch in 720p, it benefits from it)

When Devy did that scream at the end, he passed out in the recording booth. The track keeps some of his babbling as he comes back to.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Sex & Religion kept me from listening to Devy for half a decade.

The Jenk
Apr 18, 2009
Incase any London Goons missed it, Dev's just announced a show in May with Meshuggah and Periphery :)

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Already booked! Listened to Periphery on youtube, didn't really like it, but Meshuggah will be cool, and Devin of course. I think this is the fifth time I have seen him by now!

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

The Jenk posted:

Incase any London Goons missed it, Dev's just announced a show in May with Meshuggah and Periphery :)

Next Monday I'm seeing Devin Townsend (with Gojira), and then the Monday after that is Meshuggah. Only my second time seeing Devin (Alien tour), and first with Meshuggah.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

henpod posted:

Already booked! Listened to Periphery on youtube, didn't really like it, but Meshuggah will be cool, and Devin of course. I think this is the fifth time I have seen him by now!

I didn't know/like periphery until last year when I saw them with BTBAM. Before seeing them I wasn't fussed but since seeing them I've listened to Periphery II loads on Spotify. They seemed like they were having fun on stage and having a laugh which always makes me like a band more.

I've also just bought tickets for the London gig. I'm currently going on my own though, so if anybody wants to adopt a loner for a beer before/during/after the gig then please pipe up! ;)

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Saw Devin Townsend tonight in Atlanta. 45 minutes just isn't enough! I hope he does a tour of his own soon, perhaps after Z2.

Doing jazz hands during Lucky Animals was hilarious. Grace was amazing. Everything was amazing. The only disappointment was no Kingdom, but it's minor compared to my enjoyment of the show.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Kept putting off my trip report from St. Pete.

SETLIST

Truth - Hallelujah!
Supercrush - One of my favorites from Addicted. He played part of the song while wearing a fez he got from someone in the crowd.
More - I never cared for this song, always skipped it, but holy poo poo, it's loving awesome live.
Planet of the Apes - Whoa! Wasn't expecting this. One of my favorites from Deconstruction. I'd prefer the title track of Masturbator.
Lucky Animals - It ain't a metal show until the audience is doing jazz hands. I love that Devin was berating the metalheads who were out to see Gojira to do it. He got one guy to do it.
Julaar - A no brainer, really.
Grace - I wouldn't have expected it, but I dig it, because I love this song. It works well live.

Yeah, very surprised with the absence of Kingdom. I may have become overplayed in the last few years, perhaps. But this is my first time seeing Devin solo. Previous time was SYL's Alien tour. Compared to then, DTP sounded fantastic on Monday. The Alien show was great, but the mix didn't sound all that great. It was perfect this time.

I didn't stick around to see Gojira. I work early mornings, and I'm not 'into' them.

The opening band was surprisingly decent. The vocals sucked, but the rest come out well.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Devy was just on Redeye, which is a late night Fox News panel show. 45 minutes of Devin BSing with the other panelists about the issues of the day. Surprisingly not as infuriating as what Fox usually brings to mind.

Full episode: http://video.foxnews.com/v/2181154613001/full-episode-red-eye22113/?playlist_id=1756061761001

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Redeye is the thing that, if memory serves, has Oderus Urungus on to ask his opinion fairly regularly.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Red Eye is a strange show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHaDZxTWTtE

Also, Torche rules.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

This made me smile so huge I'm sure I broke my face muscles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0apsOhWV2M
"Me and Dirk during Deconstruction... just found this. =) It's a cover of a song by Weebl. Look it up if you get a sec."

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

AzureSkys posted:

This made me smile so huge I'm sure I broke my face muscles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0apsOhWV2M
"Me and Dirk during Deconstruction... just found this. =) It's a cover of a song by Weebl. Look it up if you get a sec."

That is by far one of the funniest things I've heard Devin do.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ocean Machine is one of my favorite music albums of all time.

Did Devin ever do another that was similar?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

rotinaj posted:

Ocean Machine is one of my favorite music albums of all time.

Did Devin ever do another that was similar?

Not really full albums, but there's lots of Ocean Machiney moments on a lot of his other albums. While it's a much MUCH darker album, you might want to check out Terria.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, Ocean Machine, Terria and Accelerated Evolution, I think, form a loose trilogy---the elemental albums, (as I seem to remember a press release I got working at my college radio station about Accelerated Evolution and SYL/Chickenfeather saying the former was Dev's "air" album) if you will. Moving around those three should be pretty comfortable to a person who enjoyed any individual one of them.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Devin Townsend just announced a SYL complete collection on clear vinyl on Facebook. The run is limited to 150 copies. The post does imply that there will be another version, probably less limited and CDs instead.

Preorders start on April 17th and it will be $225.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The 150 copies thing appears to be limited to just one run that has a bunch of other poo poo

quote:

• All five Strapping Young Lad albums, remastered for vinyl by Spectre Mastering (Troy Glessner) with new artwork by Seempieces | Illustration & Design by Travis Smith.
• One bonus LP, featuring nearly every SYL bonus track ever unearthed.
• Bonus C:ENTER:### 7" 're-creation,' including ultra-rare track "Idom" on the B-side.
• 40-page book.
• Strapping Young Lad turntable slipmat.
• 2-piece, custom-cut box, specially designed and shaped for this set.
• Strapping Young Lad "The Complete Works" poster, autographed by Devin Townsend. [EXCLUSIVE TO THIS VERSION]
• Strapping Young Lad "The Complete Works" T-shirt. [EXCLUSIVE TO THIS VERSION]
• 100% of the records on crystal-clear colored vinyl. [EXCLUSIVE TO THIS VERSION]

I believe there's going to be other versions of the set that don't have the exclusive stuff.

I don't really love the new album art:

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Practically salivating after that SYL box. I personally love the redesign, and blood music know how to put an awesome package together.

Also I would recommend starting with Addicted, Devin-wise.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
That's pretty rad. "Crystal-clear colored vinyl" made me laugh. Clear is my favorite color.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
This version costs €/$200. I am basically in a jizz-coma until preorder day rolls round.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

nomapple posted:

This version costs €/$200. I am basically in a jizz-coma until preorder day rolls round.

Oh my God if I miss this I am going to die

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

They're on sale NOW, I just got a splatter one.

http://www.blood-music.com/store-us/

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
gently caress they sold out quickly. Better luck next life :(

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Damnit...

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I went loving crazy when he performed Love and Detox at the retinal circus, I never thought I would get to see those played live in front of me. As much as I love SYL people really need to accept he has moved on.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Nam Taf posted:

It really does take a song like that for him to really let his voice off the leash and show it for what it can be. He's acutally quite refrained in normal songs.

See also: Steve Vai - Sex & Religion (watch in 720p, it benefits from it)

When Devy did that scream at the end, he passed out in the recording booth. The track keeps some of his babbling as he comes back to.

Wow, that is far from the best track on that album. Hope you don't scare people off from better tracks like Here and Now, In My Dreams With You, Still My Bleeding Heart, DOWN DEEP INTO THE PAIN, and Rescue me or Bury Me.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
Turned me onto the album, actually.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Devin leaked some things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3vLMBmdQNk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iisYHRcSPCY

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

All of these sound Amazing. I will be seeing him this coming Friday alongside Meshuggah, I wonder if he has anything new to share.

The Jenk
Apr 18, 2009
I thought Devin played an interesting set in Brixton, but the sound quality was really really bad...

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

The Jenk posted:

I thought Devin played an interesting set in Brixton, but the sound quality was really really bad...

I came here to post the same thing. I had a friend who had never heard/seen Devin before so I was really excited about what was to come, but the sound...you could barely hear the vocals, the banter or even lead guitar melodies. I wasn't a fan of the set either to be honest. I know he must be bored of the same songs, but Addicted and Life were sorely missed and I think Planet of the Apes needs to get dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Jenk
Apr 18, 2009

henpod posted:

I came here to post the same thing. I had a friend who had never heard/seen Devin before so I was really excited about what was to come, but the sound...you could barely hear the vocals, the banter or even lead guitar melodies. I wasn't a fan of the set either to be honest. I know he must be bored of the same songs, but Addicted and Life were sorely missed and I think Planet of the Apes needs to get dropped.

Oh yeah, Jesus, I have seen Planet of the Apes three times, and it's by far my least favourite on that album. I was happy to get Deadhead and a few off Epicloud that I haven't heard before.

Still holding out to hear any Ocean Machine though (Other than Life...)

• Locked thread