Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I think I read somewhere (Devin's twitter?) that Deconstruction wasn't intended as a "funny" album despite all the fart noises/"wacky" lyrics/etc. I've yet to see anything properly explaining how it's all supposed to come together but pretty much everything he writes is personal in some way so I don't doubt him saying that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The New Black is definitely SYL's most accessible record. In terms of sound it's way closer to DTB than the rest of their catalogue.

Their self-titled was what pushed me into finding them interesting after a few years of already being way into Devin's other projects. Aftermath is crushing.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

:eyepop: :wth:

Also if I ever get a chance to see DTP ever again I really hope they open with From Sleep Awake. Holy poo poo that'd be an experience.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I left the UK a few years ago and this + the By A Thread gigs + Retinal Circus are the only things about that decision I really regret :(

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

NonzeroCircle posted:

The Devin Townsend Megathread: it's beef
It's oil

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Hey thread what's your favourite dev lyric

I can't decide between "all the time I needed your approval to be me" or "WE PRAISE SATAN, HE LIVES INSIDE OF OUR HEARTS" I don't give a poopy nugget that it wasn't him singing that second one

e. "Motion personified alpha" is a nice sequence of words too

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I'm more excited about finally hearing Into The Sun than anything else tbh, gonna get on this album as soon as I get home though (assuming it's just the single disc version that's out there??)

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

well poo poo Offer Your Light is godlike

jesus is that a C64 synth?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Now that I've had a chance to get to know Transcendence a bit more there are a bunch of things I think

- Deconstruction is my favourite DTP joint and I reckon I like this album only a little less than that one
- Stars took a while to click for me but it's become one of my favourite songs, and I can't think of anything else in Devin's catalogue that sounds at all similar to it
- Failure really sounds like it could have been a Terria leftover
- It's really interesting that both the opening and closing tracks on this are covers (if you consider Truth to be Devin covering himself)
- Transdermal Celebration is really drat good and Ween is also good

21 Hoot Salute posted:

You've always had good music opinions. (mostly)
You know it baby! Also bedroom black metal is Good, and Correct.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

+ Echoing the sentiment that this album seems a bit all over the place. It's closer to having a specific sound/atmosphere than Epicloud and Sky Blue were but it still doesn't come close to the level of consistency he had with, like, Terria. I really really like Terria

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Listened through that bonus disc. Gonna have to hear it in full a few more times before I can properly appraise it but oh my god Gump is ridiculously good :stwoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Chromatic posted:

The picture of the phone is in this comment chain from a few years ago. Geez devy :stare:

nsfw

https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/472545832987033600?lang=en
Ah. Good.

• Locked thread