Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agar Agar
Jun 14, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

Just got home from the trip to the Houston gig. MADNESS. Also way more people than I'm used to getting thrown out for starting trouble in the pit region. Paradise Lost apparently had the intestinal death flu or something, they were unable to play, but I dug pretty much everything on display (Stolen Babies were cool when they weren't doing the Danny Elfman gothy polka thing and just, as Dev would say, crushed it.)

Also oh my god Supercrush/Kingdom/Truth/Babysong/Regulator to open I can die now

What was up with all of the fighting? I saw at least 3, one of which was a girl wailing on some dude.

Also, here are some videos of that show that I took. They are kind of shaky because hey, I like to tap my foot at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrR-zKFv_Pw -Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc_ts1lw1Kc -Grace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVkcT722CnI -Babysong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agar Agar
Jun 14, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

(You may have seen me, I was the fairly-goony dude in a bright yellow t-shirt near the front---it totally feels weird to not have a metal shirt on at a metal show. I was thinking of wearing my Sleep shirt, but I changed my mind at the last minute. Regret.)

As goes the fighting, I'm not 100% sure---there were a lot of drunks (I chatted with a fairly hilarious set from Austin), but there were some that were just plain volatile, they'd just start pounding on passerby or invading your space. The pit wobbled back and forth between "good times with shoving people" and "man, there is an evil incursion upon my personal being, and it's making us all really uncomfortable."

I was kind of in the back/middle. We showed up late because I didn't know/care to see whoever the first band was. Plus my lady friend was with me and I didn't want to bust her ear drums or get her into a fight. All in all it was a good show. I was going to hit the Dallas one the next night but I didn't feel like driving another 6 hours (total).

JonnyRevolta posted:

Not a big metal head but Devin Townsend always seemed super rad to me. Absolutely love his Punky Brüster - Cooked on Phonics album

I was really disappointed at the crowd reaction when he played some Punky for an encore in London for Deconstruction. I think even he was (probably because he said something like, "File this under never do again"), which is probably why it won't happen again for a very long time. Sucks, because I love that album.

Agar Agar
Jun 14, 2007

AzureSkys posted:

I was hoping for an SYL song, too. I wonder how he feels about that side of his music. If I had the chance to go to a VIP deal again I would like to ask if he wants to put that music to rest, or if he'll ever play any of the songs again. It seems like something he's wanted to separate himself from.

I didn't care much for it until a few years ago and now SYL or Alien are very frequently on my playlist. I regret being so clueless when I saw him for the first time in SYL.

I believe he has said that SYL is forever done. I saw them live in Houston once many years ago. I hadn't heard of him/them before and I hated every minute of it. I kick myself often.

Typo92 posted:

For the people who have been to shows on the current tour...how close to capacity have the crowds been? Debating whether or not to buy tickets in advance despite not having transportation to the gig confirmed yet.

The Houston venue was kind of small-ish. Otherwise it was still pretty easily to move around.

Agar Agar
Jun 14, 2007

I'm really jealous of all of the people that got to pledge. I tried like 6 times and was declined by pledgemusic each time (even through paypal). Finally on the last day I tried again with 3 hours left to go and once again, I was declined. But this time my card also got flagged for fraud! Yay fun surprises!

I really wanted that vinyl and guitar strap :(

Agar Agar
Jun 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zcIHgJMRY4
Bones - Live

I would love to be able to see something like this just once before I die.

• Locked thread