Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Some of my friends worship Devin. I have a few of his albums and they're enjoyable but I feel like SYL's City is the best thing he's ever done. It's got his signature style without all the goofy monkeycheese bullshit that's on stuff like Deconstruction. Addicted and Ghost are both pretty sweet though, I'll give him that. I'm going to see him on that September tour but I admit I'm mostly going for Katatonia.

I first heard Devin through SYL's Alien, which is an absolute beast of an album. I'm not really into his floaty space-crunch Devin Townsend Band stuff so much.

I did like the latest four-album release though, especially Deconstruction and Addicted. The reason why I think he is so awesome is his range and versatility (both vocally and musically) and how much of a dork he is and how much he embraces that aspect of his personality. He is so cool to his fans and is very humble despite everything he has done.

Also,

henpod fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Like I just said in the metal thread, sounds cheesy as hell, but I love Devin so I am definitely looking forward to the effervescence and choirs. The sound seems a tad too processed though, which he has a habit of doing.

It's still going to be awesome.

Edit - 'Grace' sounds awesome, like 'Stand' pt.2

henpod fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 3, 2012

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Devin has such a huge catalogue of music, and I love hearing certain riffs and musical themes from other songs. I can't think of any other specific examples right now but I catch them every now and then. I can definitely hear 'Monument' from SYL in this one.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Devin is the best metal goofball man.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Hearing Devin burp and fart whilst taking the piss out of his own music really makes this.

drat, he wasn't kidding when he said this album was cheesy.

henpod fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 20, 2012

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Man, his talking during Lucky Animals is just too drat funny. Farting, burping, realising he is 40, starting to hate the song, skull fat...

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Here is Kingdom for those like me who are stuck at work and need to hear some new Dev.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHzr1QrMxOU

It's awesome but I can't help but wish he used those operatic vocals that turn into screams like in the By a Thread version. Those were amazing.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Yup, this is a pretty good album. Some amazing songs here and the transition between Save Our Now and Kingdom is awesome. Saying that, I don't think I like True North very much and although the vocals in Lucky Animals are awesome, the chorus is just too annoying. I feel like Grace would be even better without the Anneke parts at the start and near the end.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Some Epicloud bonus tracks have surfaced on Youtube.

This one is just awesome, I can definitely see it appearing on Reconstruction (the album I told Devin he should do after Z2). It is chaotic but does not sound as angry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47L9npNWOIE

Bonus video, Old-rear end Devin vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtjLn5cTJfU

henpod fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 24, 2012

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFnglSAJTQ8

This is pretty cool, works well, although having three different vocals pushes it a bit.

henpod fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 28, 2012

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
You can't hate on Ih-Ah after seeing the live one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPHDcwpEfBc

I was there when this was recorded and it was loving magical, a very warm atmosphere.

henpod fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 8, 2012

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I'm really looking forward to the retinal circus. I don't know why Devin favours my home town of London so much with his bigger shows, but I am drat glad that he does. I went to see the 'by a thread' shows and the premier of the DVD. No idea what to expect with this, but Devin getting the budget to do some madness is a very exciting prospect.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Holy poo poo, just got home from the show; I never thought I would ever see Detox and Love from SYL live, it was awesome. Planet Smasher was a treat, as was Vampira.

I don't know if you stream guys noticed, but the Steve Vrai vids were way out of sync, and all vocals were quite drowned out; It was still awesome. Out of all the shows I have seen from him, Devin was the most subdued I've ever seen him, he barely spoke to the crowd, spouting his usual hilarity but it was still fun.

There were loads of monkey people and a giant vagina, not to mention fire jugglers and aliens. An awesome metal-musical.

henpod fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 28, 2012

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I'm going to cling on to the hope that Devin doesn't know what furries are and thought that people were just being goofy.

Here is an awesome rendition of New York New York from Mr. Townsend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN4KTO6S0tg

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
It depends what he is dressing up as I guess. I think he would made a good turtle.

Edit - or worm.

henpod fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 17, 2012

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I do want to support The Dev, but a beer glass for £32...

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Listening to Physicist right now and would love to hear a remastered version. It's like a another SYL 'City'.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I like Alien the best also. Skeksis is an absolute beast of a song, and Shitstorm is one of the most mental tracks he has done.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

origami posted:

Ocean Machine, Infinity and Terria are better than those albums in my opinion. I prefer Accelerated Evolution over Addicted's pop.

Pretty much.

While music appreciation is subjective this is wrong. TNB sucked.

Well, my subjective opinion is that you are wrong! New Black had some really solid tracks, and was also when he started using his opera-style singing. What Devin fan wouldn't like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMapSKvhLPk

henpod fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 22, 2012

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I say Addicted or Epicloud are the most accessible. I found Ocean Machine etc to be quite floaty and didnt grab me straight away. Some more straightforward catchy pop-Dev songs would be the better option for me.

SYL's Alien was the first I ever heard of him and it was love from there onwards.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

slogsdon posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN4KTO6S0tg

I can't believe I only just now discovered this Devin Townsend cover of Frank Sinatra's "New York, New York"

Some of his best vocals ever.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Already booked! Listened to Periphery on youtube, didn't really like it, but Meshuggah will be cool, and Devin of course. I think this is the fifth time I have seen him by now!

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I went loving crazy when he performed Love and Detox at the retinal circus, I never thought I would get to see those played live in front of me. As much as I love SYL people really need to accept he has moved on.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

All of these sound Amazing. I will be seeing him this coming Friday alongside Meshuggah, I wonder if he has anything new to share.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

The Jenk posted:

I thought Devin played an interesting set in Brixton, but the sound quality was really really bad...

I came here to post the same thing. I had a friend who had never heard/seen Devin before so I was really excited about what was to come, but the sound...you could barely hear the vocals, the banter or even lead guitar melodies. I wasn't a fan of the set either to be honest. I know he must be bored of the same songs, but Addicted and Life were sorely missed and I think Planet of the Apes needs to get dropped.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I would Love Namaste. It's like SYL's Detox but (slightly) less angry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PjT9qzNR0g

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I was at the Retinal show but had so much beer its all a blur. I remember all the confetti at the end as well as huge dancing vaginas at one point. Looking forward to reliving this with some relative coherence.

I'm also happy to hear the mixing is clear. I was really disappointed in how the live Deconstruction album sounded so muddy.

Also, I know i'm in the vast minority here, but he needs to lay off the Anneke. I love his vocals so much while hers sound so..childlike and overly 'sweet'. Dunno, I know people have a lot of love for her but I just find that she is used a little too much.

henpod fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 26, 2013

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
There's going to be many giffable Devin faces once this thing comes out.

Also, it needs to come out already. I'm going to be scanning the DVD as I was mugging at the camera quite a lot whenever it swung by.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Rusty Kettle posted:

The second Ziltoid radio is up. This is my favorite thing. How many episodes of this are there going to be? He seemed to imply that there would be 42 of them in the second episode, but that might just be Ziltoid being Ziltoid.

EDIT: Here is the Link

I didn't really bother listening to these before, but holy gently caress its funny. I hope he has a decent audience for it, this poo poo is awesome.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Devin just linked up a whole bunch of unreleased stuff on Twitter.

I like this one, its nice and angry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeutihZh18I

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I don't want guitar and flute music, I want Z2 dammit. More than a year :(

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Yeah, the mixing on By a Thread was very disappointing, especially in Deconstruction it was downright awful. Good to hear it's better on this although its a shame that the vocals are still a little low in the mix :(. Can't wait to get this and relive the gig! I got too drunk on the night and it turned out to be a bit of a blur. I just remember giant dancing vaginas, confetti and going mental when they played the SYL songs.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Don't get me wrong, I love the man but I think he needs to get other people to mix his stuff. I might be in the minority here, but I find The Retinal Circus audio to be so damned 'bassy' and low that it just sounds flat, overproduced and a little bit lifeless. Deconstruction and Addicted from By a Thread were horribly mixed also, and the last time I saw him live earlier this year, it was the same issue. Just loud, loud lowness and drowned-out vocals. I know he wants a 'big' sound but sometimes it's to the detriment of clarity. The guitars just don't seem to have any bite.

Saying that, he loving nailed the vocals in Detox from the Circus. Man still has it.

henpod fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Oct 9, 2013

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I was thinking of posting that, those vocals are badass. I might rip the audio and replace the studio version with that on my ipod.

I find the guitars and drums just to be too muddy in their recording for all his live albums, so this is a good middleground.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Man, Dev really deserves to be richer considering how long he's been at making music.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I'd love to pledge and get a signed CD, but I want to actually hear what the music sounds like a little bit at least before I throw down £20. Ghost got a lot of love, and its a great album but really wasn't for me. I never really listen to it, and if this is a similar, quiet album I would probably pass on it.

Edit - There is actually a song there which I didn't spot. Sounds pretty good I guess. Too bad its still 80 days away..

henpod fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 23, 2014

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Just ordered the signed double album. Really happy to see he's getting so much support, and with so much time to go still its gonna be awesome to see more flood in.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Rusty Kettle posted:

Call me a jerk, but I am not really happy with the donations to animal shelters. Maybe it is my personal experience with the inner workings of a number of shelters, but I would rather see the money go to Devin to continue to make awesome music. Cancer research is most likely okay. Children's Hospitals are okay. Maybe disaster relief. Animal shelters are a crap shoot as to whether or not the money is exasperating or helping the problem of 'we got too many drat cats and dogs.'

But that's a side track, I am really happy that he is getting the support he is getting and hope that it funds some awesome stuff from him in the future.

I kind of feel the same. I'm more than happy to support Devin so he can keep doing his thing and feel that his fans are behind him, but I really didn't throw my cash down for animal shelters.

Either way I guess he's had a glimpse at how much people are willing to get involved with his projects and the doggies can get their biscuits.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Next EMG video is up. Devin shreds and jam's on his guitar for ten minutes. Pretty cool. Deconstruction at 7:15 :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdhUvQdxHH8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Chocobo posted:

Where does a guy start with SYL? I've skimmed a couple of albums and just haven't been able to get into it. Anyone care to recommend their top couple of SYL song picks?

The first one I heard is Alien - it has great production, is clear, chaotic and is loving awesome.

Tracks to listen to : Love, Skeksis, Zen.

Then either listen to City or the last SYL, The New Black which I also think is great.

• Locked thread