Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Yeah i'm not a fan at all of the self-titled SYL, but the rest is amazing. I really wish he would re-record Physicist as it sounds compressed as hell or whatever.

Alien is still my fave. Skeksis is just such a beast of a song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I remember the first time I heard Shitstorm. I was also quite new to metal at the time and it left me in a daze. I had never anything so irrationally angry and chaotic. I seem to remember him screaming something about not being able to piss.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
As Casualties is the next one up, Z2 probably won't come out until later in the year :(. I really want this too, more than casualties.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Not a whole lot there, but the Casualties website is up.

http://www.casualtiesofcool.com/

He has good web designers.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Your day just got infinitely better:

https://soundcloud.com/segritz/supercrush-devin-townsend#t=2:53

It's like a chorus of heavenly bees...

henpod fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 30, 2014

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I'm at work right now and could download and listen to the tracks...or maybe I will wait for when i'm on my commute for when I can close my eyes and pay more attention.

So it's really good?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
He's also announced a London date for a Casualties show. I think it would be quite special, with a hell of an atmosphere. None of my friends are likely to be interested, but I will go for sure.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I would have said Addicted is the most accessible. Or if you want to go in the deep end, Deconstruction.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
But it has farting and burping :smith:

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Those On My Left posted:

The sooner Dev leaves this stuff behind the better.

Seems like a good time to post this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYkr6RLujbw

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
His vocals in that one always floor me, switching between snarling and belting out the operatic stuff.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
If anything, we can hear clips of some new songs on that site :)

I want to submit but don't know where I could go to belt out enough to do it justice.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Haha that's actually a pretty good idea.

I'm very tempted to send him audio clips of me farting, I think he will appreciate it.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
So I saw Devin yesterday at Sonisphere festival. He said that there is going to be a massive Z2 show with puppets and silly poo poo, at The Royal Albert Hall. That's going to be amazing!

He played well, but as always the mixing was terrible - Juular sounded like a mess and was drowned in muddy bass drums turned up too loud. Seriously, 2/3 of his shows are always mixed so badly. I thought he had been around the business long enough to know how to sort out the sound. Also, he was having fun but looked pretty tired. He said that he was in the middle of making two albums, and changing gear was tough. He was actually quite awkward and kept apologising for being weird. I don't ever want him to stop touring and making music, but he is burning himself out.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Ha, I was just about to post that, its great :).

He is doing a Ziltoid show at none other than the Royal Albert Hall here in London. Nothing will keep me from going to that. It's great that he does all the special stuff here - The four albums in By a Thread followed by the premier at the little cinema, The Retinal Circus, Casualties of Cool in Sep and now this. Love it.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Revol posted:

But... why? Why does everything happen in London? This isn't jealousy talking. I'm in loving central Florida, nothing special would happen here, and it's not like I can go to New York or Toronto. I just don't understand. He's Canadian, he hangs out in Vancouver, he could play Toronto, or a major American city. Why does he keep going over the Atlantic?

And you'll notice, those Unplugged albums are shipping from the UK too...

I have no idea, if I ever meet him again I will ask. It great for me since I live here, but I imagine it must be frustrating to not really get the chance for all of these special shows. I still remember the premier for the By a Thread DVD premier. There were only about 50 of us there as it was a boutique cinema place and Devin was going round giving people popcorn and chatting poo poo. I went to the toilet and he was hanging around just outside in the foyer area. I was drunk and suddenly realised, 'poo poo it's just me and Devin'. Said hello, big fan, all the usual poo poo and left him to it - I think he was taking a moment and I didn't want to bug him. I do remember telling him he should do a follow up called Reconstruction, which could be happy, but still heavy as balls. He had a mic the whole time we were watching the shows up on screen and gave the occasional burp or funny comment about whatever. Was pretty special.

I'm hoping the Casualties show is going to have that same intimate vibe - it's in a church I believe!

henpod fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 1, 2014

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Then you're going to hate me, I only went to Addicted and Deconstruction. Looking back I definitely would have gone to Ki but would have given ghost a miss probably. Really looking forward to Casualties, I love the album.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Jesus Christ, Devin is doing almost 40 shows before the end of the year still. He is gonna kill himself :(. How is he recording and planning stuff in between all of this? Look at all those dates and countries http://www.bandsintown.com/DevinTownsend/start_tracking?came_from=201

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
So, I had the pleasure to see Casualties of Cool performed here in London last night. It was at Union Chapel, a church and a beautiful venue. The entire audience was enthralled, no one was filming with their phones or any poo poo like that - all eyes on Dev and the other musicians on stage. Moon was amazing live, as was The Bridge.

Things went crazy with Deathscope and the choatic side was let loose.

Great show. I briefly met Dev as he was saying hi to people and said I would see him at The Royal Albert hall for Z2. He grimaced a bit - I think I broke his buzz.

henpod fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Sep 5, 2014

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Jesus, the big Z2 show at Royal Albert Hall sold out super quick. Many to snag a couple of tickets in lovely seats a million miles away, but at least I get to go. :getin:

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Devin is definitely way more structured than Mr. Bungle.

Anyway, first review of Z2 is out. The guy loved it, but the review itself is pretty crap.

http://damnationmag.wordpress.com/2014/09/04/album-review-devin-townsend-project-z2/

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
gently caress, I want these goddamn albums.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Preordered the digital pack. The album is still more than a month away :(. He's releasing a song from each album next week sometime though,so that's something.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Are you saying there's a leak. I will try and hold out for when I know I have the final master, but...maybe just one song.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Tell us more dammit, or are you not allowed?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Is it heavy as balls in some places? I like Heavy Devy.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Is it actually official? I can't tell if Devin is talking to himself or not. Probably not official since it's a low quality rip. See here:

https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/516564505233743873

As much as I want to hear to it, i'm not going to listen to some low quality poo poo.

If its not official, the guy is being mean leaking his stuff but its kind of funny seeing Devin have a Twitter discussion with Ziltoid, telling him to stop being a dick and leaking poo poo. The Ziltoid guy is trolling pretty well, linking him to videos of ducks and stuff.

henpod fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 29, 2014

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
If it's Devin, that's awesome but I didn't think he would release an lovely quality leak, unless someone else did and he's rolling with it.

Either way its fun

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Still waiting on the new tracks. He said he was going to release them on Monday :(

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
But he said he would :smith:

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Deathray is ok I guess, it sounds pretty average and kind of like More's twin brother from Epicloud. Not bad, but didn't have that magic moment. Still super psyched.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I like it. Sounds like he's getting Down With The Sickness in the verse, but overall its a good track. Quite hypnotic, and there's the tiniest hint of late SYL in there as well. With the other one that leaked, Sky Blue so far seems awesome.

henpod fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 9, 2014

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Argh I'm so tempted! I might wait for my preorder, or at least a leak that's the proper mix. So, is dark matters nice and heavy?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
im also not spoiling myself. Although I did listen to a few seconds here and there to get a taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFs6CB8Kgf0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkZ9mnIr5kg

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

jonathan posted:

Having newly dived into all this Devin material, I'm thinking Skeksis might be one of the best songs I've heard in a long long time.

I think overall, Skeksis is my favourite song of his ever. It's just absolute chaos.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Some March of the Poozer's live for you. Looks pretty awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt_prJXzpeo

henpod fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 21, 2014

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

AzureSkys posted:

The audio mix seems a bit off, though.

Just like being at a real Devin gig then!

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I really liked Che in Casualties but am sick to death of Anneke.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

spookygonk posted:

Was listening to a vinyl rip of Addicted! yesterday (iBasso DX50 & Sennheiser Momentum cans) and I was surprised I could hear so much more detail in the music than I recall ever (it's one of my go-to albums). Actually stopped in the street I was so engrossed.

Really? That's interesting. Might try and find that, although I don't have fancy headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I've been a Devin fan for many years now, but I keep finding new stuff. I don't know how I managed to miss the Infinity album, but I did. Only found it because I liked Colonial Boy and War from when I was at the Retinal Circus. This album is great, but pretty chaotic. Feels like the belly rumblings of Deconstruction. Next up is Physicist, another one I don't know very well. Sounds like Strapping, which sounds good to me.

henpod fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 23, 2015

• Locked thread