Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Bubba Smith posted:

I'm not sure I like that he's remaking Kingdom. It's one of my favorite songs and part of the reason why I like it is because on Physicist, which was an album that suffered from a few creative and production problems, all that chaos kind of came together and worked for that song.

From what I can get, Physicist is mighty compressed and after hearing a sample of the new version, it really sounds like has been opened up, so it might surprise you yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

I just skim-listened to Z2, there are some shining moments of pure Dev glory... You won't be disappointed.

Also, it is loving funny.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Started on Sky Blue.

Holy poo poo, you're in for a treat!

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Nope, no leak, press copy.

I am glad Dev fans are respectful enough not to leak poo poo.

That said, it'll happen sooner or later, but the files are encoded and traceable, allegedly.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

I am not allowed to distribute it, but nothing about talking about it.

But that's why I am reviewing, that's 'me talking about it' I guess. It still feels like a movie in a way where I can't spoil it for you.

I will say this, though, so far in Sky Blue I have heard some musical nods/influences/coincidences to Faith No More and Killing Joke as well as some directions feeling like Peter Gabriel in scope and execution, some middle-eastern ideas also. SO far, to my mind that CD reminds me of Addicted crossed with Ocean Machine.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

On the other hand Z2 is much more over the top, remember Vampira? Yeah, we're talking theatrical campyness. 'Deathray' is a weird mirror to that song. The narration is hilarious.
There are some monster riffs and a whole lot of attitude and don't care.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Of course.
What is also interesting is that there are a few hell riff driven songs, though there are still plenty of complex guitar lines dominating other tracks.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

He has got a little too comfortable with overproducing his own stuff. Look at Epicloud, it is so bloated, there is too much happening at times, there is no space. Same with Addicted.

Yes, Z2-SkyBlue suffers from that but not as bad as previous efforts, it is a little more streamlined which is great because you're not getting bombarded with noise a lot of the time.
Only a little though, he has a way to go to get it perfect, but it's still pretty good.

Z2 I think is a little simpler in parts that require it, kind of like the SYL days where the guitar did all the talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Hammer Floyd posted:

I went to his guitar clinic and I got to play his guitar.

It was loving brilliant and I'm still trying to put my brain back together.

You're not alone.

Unfortunate goofball snap:

Was rushing trying to get my stash out for singing as everything was going a little late, bombarded him with Retinal Circus boxset, Ki 12", Physicist 12", AE 12", Ocean Machine 12", various CD's I hadn't had signed up to that point and 2 very hard to find SYL-HAARHT promo posters...

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 24, 2014

• Locked thread