Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Shankel Magnus posted:

Thanks for the replies! From what I've heard I may check out Ocean Machine. Also I haven't heard anyone mention Synchestra. What is the consensus on that album?

I think it competes with Terria as my favorite Dev album. I just love the flow and atmosphere throughout.

Allen Wren posted:

I think everyone's covered all the highlights at this point, but I've got to cover for the record that's probably the only one not mentioned (aside from weird stuff like Hummer or Devlab): Accelerated Evolution. Sure it's "the pop record", but it's the debut of RVP, it's got some of the best flat-out songs he's ever done (Storm Storm Storm STORM loving CHRIST), it's basically, along with Biomech and Terria, the third point in the line that ends at Epicloud.

I think Accelerated Evolution probably has some of the best overall Dev songwriting. It's just missing a bit of the atmosphere and depth of production that I tend to like in his work. So, sometimes it gets pushed down a bit further in his works than it really should be. I tend to think AE is the best starting point album for him, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Digging the album, but I do think it kind of lacks its own identity within Townsend's entire discography. It's a pretty solid album overall, so don't let that critique fool you. It just sounds like more Devin Townsend, that's all. There's no wrench thrown into it like with something like Ziltoid or Ki or Ghost or Epicloud, etc. I also think starting the whole thing off with an previously used iconic album opener like Truth really kind of hurts it in that regard.

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

il_cornuto posted:

Guys I think Devin got the discs the wrong way round.

Disc 1 has some great songs but sounds like an unreleased song collection bonus disc, disc 2 is a cohesive album I'd say sounds like if SYL recorded Addicted 2 - snarlier, heavier but still full of energetic pop hooks and fun electronics. Disc 2 is a straight up return to form, top tier Devin Townsend album.

That's a great way to describe Disc 2, actually. I love it. It's addicting as gently caress.

• Locked thread