Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

teen bear posted:

I didn't like Lucky Animals at all so I'm glad to hear there's some good tracks to look forward to

Yeah this is exactly how I feel about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

So. I feel like a bit of a Devin traitor. There has actually never been a Devin album where I've liked every single track. Epicloud is the same. I could leave tracks 2 and 3. And maybe track 10.

But enough of the material on here is excellent. Tracks 7, 8, 9, 11, 12 and 13 are all huge, huge winners. Tracks 4, 5 and 6 are good.

I will admit, I am slightly disappointed. I really wanted every track to blow me away, but I kind of sensed that wasn't going to happen after I heard Lucky Animals.

Nevertheless, this is a great Devin record, and I'm sure I'm going to play it to death.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

henpod posted:

I feel like Grace would be even better without the Anneke parts at the start and near the end.

Couldn't disagree more. They keep it from being too uniform and bland.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Diet Poison posted:

Epiclouder, I hate to say because I friggin love Devin, is boring as poo poo. There's a couple glimmers of potential coolness in Quietus and.. one near the end. I literally just finished listening to it and I can't remember which was the other song I didn't think sucked.
I don't know that I'd be quite as harsh but I basically agree with you. I was super excited after hearing people in this thread rave about it (saying it was better than Epicloud) but I listened to it twice and can't imagine playing it again.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Goobish posted:

Oh GOD the furries :cry: I've been trying to get my boyfriend to enjoy Devin as much as I do, but now he has even more freakin' ammunition to make fun of Devin. It used to just be, "All of Devin's fans are insane," and now it's, "All of Devin's fans are furries and insane." :doh:

the name of the song is lucky animals you idiot

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

henpod posted:

Not a whole lot there, but the Casualties website is up.

http://www.casualtiesofcool.com/

He has good web designers.

The interview is loving unreadable in that format.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Literally my only complaint about this album is that "Pure" feels really tacked on. It is really aimless and ambient, whereas even the noodliest bits of the record are very directed and purposeful. I can't tell if Devin's tweets are the reason I think it's so out of place - he posted one saying something like "Oh dear, I've realised that Casualties doesn't finish quite right, it needs something on the end." My guess is that he felt the Bridge was too bombastic as a closer, and just asked for four minutes of flute noodling to tack on the end.

But really, that's it. Other than that, I really like this album. I think it's much, much better than Ki, which is what it's closest to. And I don't even like country or blues.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Lol, yeah, I suppose it's closer to Ghost than to Ki.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Nostratic posted:

Having finally gotten Epicloud and listened to it multiple times, Hold On chokes me up every time and it's just because Devin is awesome and Anneke's voice is absolute magic.

Yes. It is easily the best song on that album.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

henpod posted:

But it has farting and burping :smith:

The sooner Dev leaves this stuff behind the better.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

No way is Synchestra among the most accessible. Baby Song in particular is quite alienating. Ocean Machine, Addicted, Epicloud and Accelerated Evolution are all much more accessible than it. Synchestra is marginally less inaccessible than Terria or Infinity, both of which are not easy entry points.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

jonathan posted:

I'm a really big fan of the very limited Devin material I've heard. I really like that Love? Song from SYL, especially the live youtube footage ive seen.

I've also seen some footage of him doing a song "Kingdom". I guess I like the melodic vocals mixed with heavy screams. With these tastes in mind, can anyone recommend some albums to start with ?

I wonder what would happen if Devin and Mike PAtton collaborated on something. Their music isn't really similar but their attitudes towards making music seem to be.

Yeah, definitely investigate the albums "Addicted!" and "Epicloud", both of which come under the Devin Townsend Project name. I'm sure you'll love them!

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

SKELETONS posted:

Devin's recent twitter storm reminded me how much I hate that fart noise on deconstruction. I hate it as much as I love devin's music as a whole, i.e I hate it a great deal.

Me too. Sounds like I'll probably be spinning the "no dialogue" disk.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Speaking of which, it sounds like the album has leaked.

http://hasitleaked.com/2012/devin-townsend-ziltoid-2/

Scroll down and read the comments.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

I'm quite enjoying Sky Blue but I am not wild about the mix. In parts of it, it just goes way too wall-of-sound, even for Devin. A New Reign is an obvious example - there's bits where it's really hard to tell what the guitar is even doing, it just becomes a vaguely tuneful wall of noise.

As such I'm actually quite pleased to hear that this isn't the final mix and master, there's definitely room for improvement.

Despite that, there are plenty of songs on here that I can see becoming long term Devy favourites. Fallout, Warrior, and Silent Militia were all big winners on first listen (I'm only up to Rain City at the moment!). Midnight Sun was really interesting because there is a definite Terria vibe to some of the riffs.

Overall, I am really pleased with the way this whole thing is shaping up. Haven't even touched Z2 yet!

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Have given each album about three listens. The only song that I have real serious trouble with is "The New Reign". That intro riff just sounds kind of dull and trite to me, and it reappears throughout the song. The rest of the song has its moments but it's not a winner for me overall.

Otherwise, Sky Blue is really great. There are lots of moments that are even more "fun" than Epicloud and I can see why that will rub people the wrong way - hell, Universal Flame and Before We Die reaaaally stretch my tolerance for cheese. But overall I think the album is a real triumph. Really approachable and catchy, with enough interesting musicality to stand out.

I think Z2 is going to take longer to get to terms with. I've definitely enjoyed listening to it but the story is much harder to pick up than Z1. The songs seem to run together a bit more (although that'll probably change as I get more familiar with it). A fair bit of the music doesn't use Devin's voice, nor any real lead vocals to speak of, and that surprises me because I think vocal performance and composition is absolutely one of Devin's strong points. But I guess he decided not to feature it so much on this album, and I'll just have to approach it on its own terms!

The more I listen to Z2 the more I appreciate it, there is a lot going on there and there is very little dull filler material.

Overall, I'm thrilled with this release, it was pretty much exactly what I wanted.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Axel Serenity posted:

Really, "Rejoice" is one of the only songs I don't care for on the album, and he gets that out of the way off the bat.
Actually, yeah, I agree with you. I think that is kind of weak. It's just a little repetitive and I'm not sure the main riff is quite as strong as he thinks it is. It's not a bad track, but easily one of my least favourite.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

il_cornuto posted:

Is there anyone who didn't like Epicloud much who likes Sky Blue? I found Epicloud kind of dull and maybe my least favourite Devin album overall, and all the Epicloud + Sky Blue love is making me worried I won't much like Sky Blue either.

It's definitely in the same vein as Epicloud, but it is different in a few ways. I would argue that the songs are more diverse and better written.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

I really haven't been listening to Dark Matters all that much. I pounded it for a few mornings, but it's Sky Blue that I keep returning to.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Manuel Calavera posted:

What about The Mighty Masturbator off of Deconstruction? To over the top? Not over the top enough? Insufficient lovely 90s rave moments?

That rave moment is my favourite part of Deconstruction, no contest.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Fina posted:

That's the impression I've had for a while. Dark Matters and Deconstruction felt like albums he thought he needed to make to satisfy part of his fan base that desired a return to heavy albums. Each one also happened to release alongside a second, lighter album and when you look at all of his recent work though you can see a pretty clear turn toward energetic stuff like Addicted or ambient stuff like Casualties.

Yeah, I feel like this might be true.

I haven't really returned much to Dark Matters, but I keep spinning Sky Blue.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

That song does absolutely nothing to me, much like most symphonic metal. It's like these people have a different cringe factor from me.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

origami posted:

I actually like the way Physicist sounds and would prefer a more stripped/less produced sound then the same axefx preset with the same vocal chorus sound over and over again.

I don't like physicist's production but I agree that he needs to mix things up. I think that's one of the reasons I like Casualties so much, there's a lot of clarity and variety to the sound. Dark Matters sounds simply muddy to me, and Sky Blue sometimes gets that way too.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Nam Taf posted:

Yeh he said when he did the guitar clinic here last year that he just had to put it out because he had promised it and so he had to see it to completion. It really wasn't something he actually wanted to do by the sounds of it.

I personally found Dark Matters really disappointing. It is too muddy and a lot of the music is repetitive and uninspiring - Poozers is a good example, it's just way too long. Basically everything up until Deathray sounds like a series of intros that go way too long.

I loved Sky Blue when it came out, and while I don't mind it I definitely see its flaws now.

Casualties was amazing, I hope Dev gives himself the space and the freedom to go off the beaten track some more

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

i really wanted to like this release more

i listened to it and was like "There's some good stuff in here but some filler too"

and then i just went right back to listening to the latest russian circles, which loving destroys

and then the new eluvium came out and now i can't listen to anything else

oh well

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Stoat posted:

Ok your music taste is literally identical to mine (Eluvium is still one of my top picks of the last few years) but I could not get into the new RC. I'll try again I guess!

killer tracks are vorel and afrika, but really all of it is quite good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

I think I'm drifting away from Devin. I haven't really returned to this album after listening to it a bit for the first few days.

Oh well, glad he's still doing what he loves, has a good fan base, and is making money.

• Locked thread