Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
So the iTunes versions of Epicloud all have two seconds of silence at the end of every track, making it really loving annoying to listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Just finished my first listen of Z². It's... not really what I was expecting, and I'm probably an idiot. In a few places in Ziltoid, there was this really majestic space opera sense to it, a hint of the unknown, a just-barely fleshed out universe, searing with neon and mystery. Ziltoid was 100% about trying to fathom the unfathomable. This is just... Epicloud with aliens.

Time to give Sky Blue a try.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

I bought the album off iTunes, but it didn't include the Dialogue-Free disc. Where could I pick just that up online?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

I sent this to a friend. My thoughts on a fourth or fifth listen of Z2.

quote:

Okay, listening to it again now.

From Sleep Awake starts out so loving good. Ziltoid saying ‘Yesssss’. And then it just meanders into nothing this sort of fog of voices and indistinguishable guitar, and that bugs the hell out of me. Like, it sounded like it was going to be some kind of concert Ziltoid was going to give. And then just, nothing.

Ziltoidian Empire. First half is mostly forgettable, but then that wonderful tribal chant in the second half (a-litty-litty-all-all-litty-all) is fantastic. Of course you can only really hear it on the dialogue-free version. I love: “Hmmm, well. Poop!”

War Princess. The War Princess' speaking parts remind me so much of Kristin Chenoweth in Wicked, and the whole introduction reminds me of King’s Quest, for some reason. The kind of hackneyed dialogue, the mixing on the voices, the lilting background music. Dominique Persi knocks it out of the park, and I love her voice. But again, the mixing kills the end of the song. Right where she screams, “for I’m your Queen”, it just becomes mud. Addicted! reference: “everybody sees, everybody’s numbered”.

Deathray is fine. I love the Ziltoidia Attax! leitmotif. It’s some kind of Rob Zombie-sounding rhythm at some points. Still too overmixed. Oh man, almost heard a single guitar right there at the end, but it’s been narrated over.

March of the Poozers is fantastic. Solid rhythm, solid theme, wonderful moments scattered throughout it. It feels like a Tim Burton/Danny Elfman showtune. I can bang the hell outta my head to this every time. “Watching, waiting” was stuck in my head all day; it’s one of the few moments in the album where it gains this sort of “this is Important” immensity to it. Love Devin’s singing, and Persi’s part is fantastic. Goes on a bit too long.

I find myself waiting for Wandering Eye. At least the beginning. It’s very alien and that first ‘Say it loud!’ comes out of nowhere and just sets the tone so fantastically. But then it meanders into nothing.

Earth. The first 60 seconds is perfect. The quintessential ’space opera’ sound to me. And then, the loving choir again. It sounds like Maynard James Keenan is singing ‘Who’s the maker, who’s the man’. The lawyer thing is funny, just because Ziltoid sounds so out of place.

Ziltoid Goes Home is basically forgettable. I really want to love ‘TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT FROM—‘ but it’s just surrounded by indistinguishable noise on either side. I feel the most disconnected from the album here. It feels like it’s gone on without me. There’s something very majestic-sounding here but I can’t tell what it is.

Through the Wormhole. All of Ziltoid’s dialogue is wonderful. “We have. The same. Mother.” “Woah!” … “And unbelievably cheesy!” … “Woah, what the heck!” … “Argh, so lame!”

And then the last song is just… an Epicloud B-side.

I’m just sick of the choir everywhere, the fog of voices and not even being able to hear guitars in every song. So, I do like it. But I wish it were less muddy. It’s so overmixed. I wanted a real, piercing, lonely space opera. The organ and fuzzed guitar right at the beginning of Earth, which sounds so much like Solar Wind. I wanted so much more of that. I don’t mind the wall-of-sound approach, but a whole album of it is just exhausting.

Also, Captain Spectacular is the wrestler Chris Jericho. He killed it. I want more of him.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

So, on a whim, I visited the Royal Albert Hall website and was just able to pull the trigger on two seats. I thought they were supposed to be completely sold out?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

henpod posted:

Huh, me too. Are they good places? I bought mine on the day of sale and they are pretty rubbish, up high and at the back. Me and my buddies can't even sit together. Wish I could have gotten better ones, but at least I'm going I guess.

Mine are Grand Tier 38, which appear to be... not that bad seats. But I may be mistaken.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

That was a phenomenal show.

• Locked thread