Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Figures florida gets skipped yet again. Maybe I'll make a trip to Chicago or somesuch....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I listened to Enya(willingly) as a child/young teen, so I'm not quite as unaccustomed to the whole "wall of sound" thing Dev strives for, but most people classify as overproduction.

Haven't listened to anything from Soilwork, so I'm not sure how the production is on that.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 6, 2012

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

A good metal show in Florida? The world really is ending in December.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Going to reply before I listen. It's about pooping isn't it.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

No love for Punky Bruster? :saddowns:

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

gently caress they sold out quickly. Better luck next life :(

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Shankel Magnus posted:

So what exactly was the story behind Devin starting Strapping Young Lad? Did he have some kind of falling out with Steve Vai? Or was it just the music industry as a whole?

No. What he, and others, think happened is he got offered a deal for his own work which was almost immediately dropped by the company after signing on with Vai, the implication being the company never intended to publish his own work there and just wanted him in Steves band. Chronologically, his oldest stuff is actually some of the music on Ocean Machine, even though it was his fourth album of his own music he was able to put out on the market. Between that point and his starting on with Vai there were half a dozen false starts and companies dropping him like a handful of hot poo poo, which led to such incredibly angry gems as Punky Bruster. On top of this, his reputation at the time was somebody who helped other people perform their music, which for someone like Dev is anathema.

SYL was just the name of the project that ended up getting published, and wasn't formed specifically out of anger at anybody.

e: Not to say he wan't angry as gently caress about anything and everything at the time. Who wouldn't be?

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 26, 2014

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

So whats the setlist like for this tour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Kumbamontu posted:

Saw Devin last night in Orlando. What a show. Rejoice, Higher, Kingdom, and March of the Poozers were highlights for me. Also Grace as an encore, and Devin whipping out the acoustic for an audience singalong of Ih-Ah! First time seeing him, I'll definitely be catching him whenever he's around.

I was there too! Just moved to Orlando, and already the music scene is way loving better than Miami's. I mean the rest of the city is a cultural wasteland, but nobody ever played Miami on their tours :saddowns:
Also poor Fallujah, the saddest mosh pit.

• Locked thread