Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Poor quality pirate copy.

War Princess is one of the most insanely over-the-top good DT songs I think I've heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

henpod posted:

Argh I'm so tempted! I might wait for my preorder, or at least a leak that's the proper mix. So, is dark matters nice and heavy?
My subjective opinion is that it rocks heavy. I'm putting it down until I can hear a good mix, but War Princess makes me want to blow up the Moon and the Earth and plant the Ziltoid flag on the asteroid ruins.

Oh and Ziltoid Goes Home. That's Star-Trek-theme epic.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 19, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

il_cornuto posted:

Is there anyone who didn't like Epicloud much who likes Sky Blue? I found Epicloud kind of dull and maybe my least favourite Devin album overall, and all the Epicloud + Sky Blue love is making me worried I won't much like Sky Blue either.
Me. Not a fan of that album. I like the big, sweeping ultra-grabby and catchy tunes which Epicloud lacked. Though it had a few fun tracks.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

jonathan posted:

Does anyone else feel that Heatwave off Epiclouder is the ultimate road trip song ? Now, for me I usually play it while on my way back to Vancouver so it kinda hits close to home, however I wish Devin would do a full album in that southern twang type style. It's cheesy but fun.
Not Heatwave in particular, but for me, DT makes the best road music. Listened to him a lot on a desert night drive between El Paso and Austin. It's punchy and upbeat, but also chilled-out and kind of Buddhist. It relaxes me but also keeps me awake and aware, like nicotine.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

AzureSkys posted:

Ziltoidian Empire kind of does, and Wandering Eye from Z2. :allears:

Yes! That's the thing that put it so high for me. As mentioned by Agreed, he makes such dense mixing. On it's on with just guitars and vocals it might not have been too much to keep my attention, but the atmosphere created by all those little things made it so intriguing. It makes imagery of a desolate moonscape and the story for the album really seem felt through the music and sounds.
Listening to Z^2 right now makes me remember that Townsend's music gets better the more you listen to it. This is stuff that grows on you.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I watched one of the Periscopes before they were going to rehearse and he said something about "sounding like Ocean Machine" which I can only hope.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Save Target As posted:

Seeing them in Dallas when they come around, its been a while since I've seen BTBAM too, last time I saw them was with Cynic and Devin Townsend too hah. That was the first time I had heard DT and Cynic even, what an musically-opening experience for me.
I'm going to this show. First time seeing DTP and first time seeing him in concert since SYL days.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Sounding pretty epic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gUZZFdjyxg

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Song rules. Gonna see DTP live. Star Trek IV poo poo. Life is amazing. :dukedoge:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
SYL was my intro to Devin more than 10 years ago. Went and saw them play this ridiculous concert at the Bronco Bowl, this legendarily grody music venue in Dallas that also had a bowling alley.

Met some nerdy kids there who were my age. They're like "you're into Devin Townsend?" and I'm like "who?"

So afterwards we go meet him by the bus, and I'm stunned because he's the polar opposite of the person I just saw on stage. Just very friendly and nerdy and Devin. They're asking him questions like "are you going to do another Ocean Machine" and I have no idea what is happening.

After that the other kids invited me to come hang out, and we show up in this guy's room, which is his mom's basement in Arlington. Like full-on goons with anime stuff. And they burned me all of the DTP cds :3:

Never stayed in touch but thanks!

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Aug 17, 2016

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

JAF07 posted:

The second single from Transcendence released a day early (thought it was coming Friday). Sounds like Synchestra with the good parts of Epicloud sprinkled in. Anneke's on this one, but she's relegated to the background.
The chorus on this one totally kills. Fuuuuck. Those drums :stare:

I think Devy fans will like this record. It's like Deconstruction ... but happy.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 19, 2016

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I like it but I'm also agreeing with other goons here a bit. Devin seems kinda checked out. But I think part of the process in this one was the rest of band had a bigger role in crafting the songs. Ryan Van Poederooyen is going crazy on the drums, where Devin is (and I'm making a huge assumption) cranking up the volume to mask over the going-through-the-motions feeling.

Stormbending and Secret Sciences are the best tracks. The last refrain on Stormbending sung live has got be out there.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 21, 2016

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

21 Hoot Salute posted:

3:22 in Stormbending
Stormbending totally rules.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Listening to Devin interviews, he's a bit more happy with this album since he backed off a bit during the writing and recording process. He's schizo about being a frontman.

I think it works well. Ryan's drums are awesome.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo DTP live :stare:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Devin's going full Pink Floyd.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Watching cellphone videos of Devin's Ocean Machine show in London