Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

21 Hoot Salute posted:

The more I listen to Sky Blue the more I fall in love with it. Ranks up there as top level Devin

Prior to releasing Synchestra, Dev referred to it as an album full of 'blisteringly heavy lullabies' and I totally get that feeling on this album too with many of the songs.
Seriously, Sky Blue is giving me serious Ocean Machine vibes and is easily one of the best things he's done in years. I haven't even listened to Dark Matters yet because I just keep looping this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

No matter how many times I listen to epicloud and epiclouder I can't remember a single song. Such forgettable album/albums.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Man, he's not playing Glasgow until March and I'm really worried about how he's going to be then if he's getting burned out already :(

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I feel like I'm the only person who really didn't enjoy Addicted. Some great live songs from it, though

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

neillyb posted:

My awesome fiancee got me VIP tickets for the show in Paris - the first show of the European tour. Looking forward to it very much, but also a bit nervous! Not sure what to expect. Met him briefly before in Glasgow at GuitarGuitar in 2011 but this is, like, 20 minutes with them or something. The gently caress do I do?
nuzzle his bald head. treat it like a penguin egg. coo and huddle it lovingly. nest on it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Stalins Moustache posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to talk about Nightwish, but ehh. They just released a new music video with Floor Jansen, and while my inner 14-year old still likes everything that is cheesy about Nightwish this song just feels so incredibly bland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPonioDYnoY

Atleast the lyrics aren't about beautiful obese people, a little boy or an old man with his dolls in the attic anymore.
I would indeed like to see Devin Townsend dressed as Nightwish Lady #46 and singing opera but this is not the thread for our deepest fantasies.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Off to see this bald weirdo tonight for the third time !!!

Setlist seems pretty great, disappointing lack of Sky Blue though - I really wanted to see Fallout, Universal Flame, Sky Blue or Silent Militia live, they seem like songs made for gigs. :( Definitely going to be a good time though.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Willeh posted:

I saw him last friday and they did play Fallout.
Maybe because Anneke was with them that night?
Yeah that seemed to really change up the setlist. Shame.

Brilliant gig though. Was a bit worried going in with all the people saying he's seemed burned out recently, but it was great - the atmosphere was awesome, he was on form and really positive, telling us the usual stupid stories and seeming just really happy and grateful to be there. Setlist was really good, I'm no fan of Addicted but I always forget how good the songs from it are live.

Still, out of all the songs on Sky Blue to play - Rejoice and A New Reign? Weird.

Shining were good too, but I figured they'd be on second and so we ended up skipping most of them and being exposed to the entirety of Periphery, which is not an experience I really want to repeat. Still, caught a mildly insane metal-jazz cover of 21st Century Schizoid Man from Shining and went on to see their frontman play saxophone dressed in a monkey suit for Devin, so not a total loss on that front.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

poor guy, Sky Blue's one of the best things he's done in years :(

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

jonathan posted:

Curious why Oderus Urungus performed oral sex on the Necro Lord ? Or is there another meaning to that verse I'm not getting.
To be honest I always just pictured him smoking the Necro Lord's femur like a giant weed-joint.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

jonathan posted:

I wanna hear that lame radio friendly song he paid to make with the skunkworks guys that do all the lame nickelback poo poo he talked about.
Good news, Addicted is still in print

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I never got into Terria for the most part but did develop prodromal schizophrenia and start booming OOOOLIIIIIIIIIVES and chanting TALKING MEAT repeatedly for several years

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

OOOOOOOOOOOLIVES

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVEEEEEEES?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Devil Townsend: OLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIVVVVESSS

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

sinking belle posted:

Hey thread what's your favourite dev lyric

I can't decide between "all the time I needed your approval to be me" or "WE PRAISE SATAN, HE LIVES INSIDE OF OUR HEARTS" I don't give a poopy nugget that it wasn't him singing that second one

e. "Motion personified alpha" is a nice sequence of words too
OOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIVESSSS

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

GORDON posted:

I have a ticket to see him in September. This will be my first Devin show.
I've seen him live like three times and he's been incredible every time.

He was kind of sad the first time, but the Sandy Hook shooting had happened like half an hour previously and he told us all it had happened so I guess that's understandable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wow this album is insanely boring, it sounds like a disc of rejected Epicloud B-sides. I'll give the second CD a listen though!

edit: okay Offer Your Light kicks rear end. I guess I'll see if it grows on me as an album, there's definitely a lot going on in it but it has a kind of samey and... uninspired? feel to it that makes my attention wander.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 12, 2016

• Locked thread