Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Devin's my favorite artist. How did I not know Epicloud was out already? :psyduck:

Fantastic loving album. One of the best all around I have heard in years, and definitely one of Devin's best recent works. I loved most of the quadrilogy, but there were definitely some flaws in them. Epicloud is like the best of everything mixed together. "Save Our Now" is gorgeous, and "Kingdom" is flawless. The first time I heard it on Physicist was probably the closest to a religious experience I've had, and hearing it with bigger production is amazing.

Looks like I need to ask for a certain Los Angeles concert coming up in January for Christmas this year. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
"Hey, noted Progressive Metal screamer Devin Townsend! How about making a bluesy-country-folk album this time?"
"Ok!"

*Makes loving awesome bluesy-country-folk album that owns*

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I'd say Accelerated Evolution would be the most accessible/poppy. poo poo, even my parents like that album. But, it's not necessarily a good representation of Devin's overall catalog.

Epicloud is probably his best album. I don't think that thing has left my disc changer since it came out. It doesn't go to extremes on either end if you want a certain mood, but it covers his spread really loving well.

Really, it's hard to say where to start because Devin has covered pretty much every type of music you could want, so it's more of a question of "What kind of mood are you at the moment?" He probably has an album for it.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I see what Sally is saying, to be honest. Z2 is fun in the silly, Devin kind of way. It's got some pretty great moments and riffs, but it's really along the same lines of Punky Bruster to me: a little diversion because Devin wanted to do something ridiculous for a bit. Maybe a better mix will help out, but it's really a far cry from his "serious" work. It's a nice listen, but only in the way that crazy "Metal for the sake of Metal" can be.

Sky Blue, on the other hand, is fantastic. I don't know if it's quite at Epicloud levels (my favorite DT album), but it's definitely a complete package with some incredible, moving moments that really stand out as Devin having stuff that he needed to say and get out of his head. Really, "Rejoice" is one of the only songs I don't care for on the album, and he gets that out of the way off the bat. "Fallout," "Universal Flame," and the title track are really high points for me on that emotional level.

I ended up writing a novel because of "Save Our Now" when Epicloud came out. I'm getting a lot of that same inspiration from SB. Fantastic work that makes up for the lackluster Z2, in my humble opinion.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 20, 2014

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

il_cornuto posted:

Is there anyone who didn't like Epicloud much who likes Sky Blue? I found Epicloud kind of dull and maybe my least favourite Devin album overall, and all the Epicloud + Sky Blue love is making me worried I won't much like Sky Blue either.

Sky Blue is kind of a weird beast. It's the same as Epicloud in the sense that it's very much an overall bright album that mixes Devy with female vocals and has a lot going on. If you're more of a fan of HevyDevy and SYL, you might not like SB, because Devin's basically said "I'm not doing brutal anymore."

However, SB is more of a straight-through album whereas Epicloud is really a collection of distinct, individual singles that follow the same themes and tone. SB is much more atmospheric and... I dunno, choral? Devin's doing a lot on it I haven't heard him do before (electronic work in the title track, for example). I'd say several tracks actually have a lot of similar hooks and feeling as Synchestra did more than Epicloud. The thing with Devin's recent work is that it really does combine a lot of the elements from his previous albums into a kind of collaborative record, and this is no exception. It's the same... but different, if that makes sense.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Yeah. Starting a listen now, but I really don't care for the Truth remake. His other remastered songs have been awesome, but this one not so much. It's just not as "big" and doesn't fill a room in quite the same way as the original. It's a case where higher production actually hurt it. :(

If the rest of the album is like Epicloud and Sky Blue as people say, though, I'll be happy. They're two are among my favorites of his.

e: liking the rest of the album so far. Not sure where it fits within his discography, but some solid work in here.

Offer Your Light owns

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I didn't know there was a second disc

Holy gently caress this is so good :stare:

• Locked thread