Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Devin Townsend truly missed his calling by not voicing villains in musical animated features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Laserface posted:

Im sure this is the wrong place to ask, but does any one else find Devins production style incredibly grating? I put on anything after his strapping young lad days and kind of sit there, try to listen, but eventually get annoyed with all the poo poo coming out of my speakers and turn it off.

People keep calling him a genius for 'managing to fit it all in' but I think its quite the opposite. nothing fits in and it ends up like 500 sounds trying to get through 2 speakers at once.

I gave it another chance in a live setting at a music festival earlier in the year and it just made me want to go home (it was like 8-9pm at night and he was the last thing I watched, so it was probably a pile of factors). Too much poo poo going on.

I really enjoy his work with SYL and some of DTP but most of this new stuff just hurts my ears.
To me, the most offensive production job he ever did was Soilwork's Natural Born Chaos. Overcompressed, tinny, muddy, and overall like trying to listen to the band play in a 12x12 practice space. Soilwork produced their follow-up on their own and the recording sounded much better.

For all the praise he gets for his production work, he's no Steven Wilson or Joe Chiccarelli.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 6, 2012

• Locked thread