Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
In line at Center Stage with a 10 year old kid who is SUPER psyched to see Ziltoid. Had to be explained who Devin is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I think he had said that he wanted to revisit more songs off of Physicist than just Kingdom. I would want to hear a rerecording of Irish Maiden most of all, that track is one my favorites.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Jesus Christ that is an epic setlist. Deadhead! EARTH DAY! THE DEATH OF MUSIC?!? Replace Christeen and Lucky Animals with Pixillate and Sunday Afternoon and that might be my ultimate Devin setlist.

When does this come out to CD/video?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Ranter posted:

Which Terraria er I mean Terria song should I listen to again to try and get into it? Because that album was always a little 'meh' to me.

Terria never did much for me, but Earth Day is so goddamned loving epic, one of my all-time Devin tracks. Mountain is pretty cool too.

origami posted:

Synchestra has a great opening: nice acoustic sound into a some arena prog rock into a jug band breakdown into more arena prog rock until after a few minutes it culminates in Steve Vai dropping a huge load on everything with some wank *solo*

Then there's some baby song that I've never actually listened to

Yeah, Synchestra starts really strong, then it drops off in the middle. Then you get to Pixillate, another of my favorites, and it finishes strong.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I think last night's show might be the best I've seen of Devin. Let's see, the show's I've been too... Alien, Epicloud, and... at least one in between, can't think what tour it was, though. Compared to the last show, Devy seemed to be enjoying himself a lot more, which is great. The sound was good too; my one complaint there is that his guitar is too quiet on the second half of By Your Command, which is a drat shame because it's so awesome.

Really good setlist. I think I'm the rare Townsend fan who has never ever cared for In-Ah!, but it was still really cool to see him do an acoustic.

Crowd was really good. I don't think the mosh pit was that large even for the Alien show. Man, I thought it was large enough, and then Kingdom starts and people are pushing me aside from behind me to rush in.

My one disappointment is that he didn't play Planet of the Apes, considering who else he has on tour with him. Grace is a cool song, but I don't feel like I need to see it again, given it's presence on all the recent live DVDs and my last live show. Apes would've been a perfect encore.

Really good show. Going back to Orlando in a month for Meshuggah. (If you saw a guy with the glow in the dark Meshuggah Koloss shirt, that was me.)

edit: Just thought of a piece of advice that could be helpful. If you want to get the best shirt of the tour, you'll want to arrive early. Devin's selection of shirts were a little lacking, I think overall BTBAM's designs are more interesting. But the best shirt is the DTP one that says on the back: "LOWER MID TIER PROG METAL". By the time I got there, 7:45, they only had M and L sizes left. I usually wear XL, but these Gildon shirts are preshrunk, and thankfully the L fits me well.

Ask the merch guy to explain the yellow shirt. It... makes sense, I guess!

Revol fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 12, 2016

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Transcendence isn't quite what I wanted, but I'm still very happy with it. It still sounds more like Sky Blue and Epicloud than I would like, but the songwriting is much better. I think this is an album I will return to in the future, which I can't say for a few of his other recent albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Devin keeps doing these frigging awesome special live shows, and this might be the best one yet. This had better be recorded in one way or another. I wonder what kind of interaction we would see with the orchestra. Will it be like Metallica's S&M, where he's playing music not originally written for an orchestra, or will he stick to those songs that make the easiest transition?

My God, think of the songs that could be taken to another level with an orchestra behind it. Everything I think of is just a list of my favorite Devy tracks. Pixellate, Earth Day, oh my god DEADHEAD

But... why Bulgaria? Not complaining, good for Bulgaria, I guess.

Everyone please vote so we don't run the risk of President Trump ending the world before September 2017

• Locked thread