Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Anyone know if Devin will be playing before or after Katatonia tonight @ GAMH in SF tonight?

edit: did some research, looks like Devin and Katatonia take turns headlining and it's Katatonia's turn tonight.

second edit: he played lucky animals and a lot of people were doing his youtube dance. it was pretty bloody awesome.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So this sounds pretty amazing. Always wanted to go on a cruise.

http://www.progressivenationatsea.com/

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Willeh posted:

Devy seems a bit nervous & worse for wear while recording, I hope he gets this done before he has another meltdown :ohdear:

Follow him on twitter. He's posting that he's very tired, strung out, under pressure etc. He hinted that after Z2 he's going on a long vacation.

I have a hunch that soon after realizing how amazing it is to crowd-fund his projects and how humbled he was by the 500%+ he got, he's now feeling obligated and under pressure to deliver.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 1, 2014

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
@dvntownsend So hey! April 13, 2015... We're going to do a 'Ziltoid musical' at the Royal Albert Hall! ...indeeeed! :)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I still haven't received my pledge drawing of my cat. Is anyone else still waiting for their stuff?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Chocobo posted:

I finally got around to really listening to Ayreon's The Human Equation where Devin does a few guest vocals. Man, he loving nailed it.

Spectacular album, probably my favorite one by Arjen. Mikael from Opeth is on it too.

About Devin's part of it, he had creative freedom even though Arjen didn't really know him. Wrote his own lyrics, recorded it himself in Canada. Arjen basically said in email "OK so you're playing 'rage' on this concept album" and Devin went "OK when I'm back from touring I'll create something and send it over".

http://www.arjenlucassen.com/content/devin-townsend/

quote:

- How did you get in touch with Devin?
Arjen: I got his emailaddress from our mutual label Inside Out and asked him if he would be interested to guest on this Ayreon album. At first he simply said ‘no’, because he doesn’t like to sing other people’s lyrics and melodies. Because I really wanted to have him on this album I suggested that he could write his own lyrics. He agreed, so I sent him the instrumental tracks, explained him what the story is about and told him I would like him to portray the emotion ‘Rage’.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 2, 2014

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Just watched his show at Wacken. "I was in the studio until 10 this morning. This is loving weird!". Dude needs a long break.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I saw Devin play 2 tours ago, and they were alternating the headline with another band. 1 night it was Devin's turn, the other night was another band. This meant it was a bad game of knick knack paddy wack as to whether you got to see his full show.

edit: got a response from Devin re: pledge stuff, he's still working on some of them including mine. I hope I didn't stress him out :(

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 7, 2014

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Seconding Addicted. That's my go-to recommendation for someone that may not have been exposed to a lot of progressive rock, metal or experimental stuff in general.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The end of Storm on that album, his vocals, really shows off his amazing blend of screaming/clean vibrato. Quintessential Devin right there.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
All I learned from that blokes article was the track titles and which song titles he liked more than the others...

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
so those song releases never materialized. kind of like my pledge reward that never happened...

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
drawing of my cat

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
so the really old YouTube account on which this 'official but low quality' leak resides is his buddy or something? or is it an actual leak and he heard about it, so now he's going along with it?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
are you surprised?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
he said they would be released last week too. the guy just needs to stop giving dates for things.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
the youtube leaks previously shared by devin are now down.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
It's his own label, yet he acts surprised when they picked it? I don't get it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Darkest Hour - Undoing Ruin was alright.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So the rep from Northern Music listed on the pledge page as the person to contact has stopped responding after I asked about never receiving my reward. He initially responded within a day stating "I know for a fact we sent it twice" but when I asked why they would have Devin draw my reward twice and send it twice when I had only reported it as missing last week, all of a sudden he went silent.

Anyone else here still waiting on their stuff?

edit: 4 minutes after I tweet Devin asking if there's someone else I can work with from Northern, he tweets

Devin Townsend @dvntownsend · 3m 3 minutes ago
Hi guys, I will personally be taking over the pledge thing in a week or so. I'll sort it out. Thanks again for your patience.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 28, 2014

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
They announced you can buy the album now in best buys, cheaper and earlier than pre orders.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Saw him in SF a few years back, got unlucky and he wasn't headlining that particular night. It's very disappointing and I wish it wasn't 'a thing'.

Still waiting on my pledge reward. I'm not mad, just disappointed that he bit off more than he could chew.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 5, 2014

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Sr. Wiggles posted:

According to this list he didn't close Philly show... but i was there, he did. so be careful!

This gives me hope for his last show in SF. Thanks for pointing this out.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So sounds like the Royal Albert Hall show is going to be Ziltoid for the first half, then second half is a special 'by request' show and he's asking for suggestions.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

neillyb posted:

The gently caress do I do?

Ask him why I never received my pledge reward and why they're ignoring me.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
It's been over a year, and I've had little success dealing with his minions, but this morning I finally got an email from Dev himself apologizing profusely for never sending me my casualties of cool pledge reward, and a promise that he was working on it. Side note, he uses an iPad.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Devin Townsend posted:

Proud to say I've finished the outline for the symphony. Massive 'life work' type poo poo. Surround sound, sprawling...

http://www.metalsucks.net/2015/07/24/devin-townsend-has-written-another-dtp-record-finished-outline-for-symphony/

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Which Terraria er I mean Terria song should I listen to again to try and get into it? Because that album was always a little 'meh' to me.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Allen Wren posted:

Just play the record.

At top volume.

Meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

realbez posted:

I got myself too excited for this album I think. I've listened to it a few times and find it very, very boring. Disc 2 is better, though.

It really is like Terraria er Terria then.

• Locked thread