Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

LorentzViolator posted:

The bonus demos are good too! 'Love Tonight' wouldn't have been out of place on Ocean Machine.

After a couple of listens, I think Epicloud is good but not great. Not much really grabs me and it doesn't seem to have much depth. I'll give it more time but so far it's not one of my favourites.

The bonus disc on the other hand is amazing. So many great songs, well worth getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

VIRGIN HEAT posted:

Is Liberation a Wildhearts-inspired track? There's definitely something there. I know Resolve! was on Addicted, are there any others?

I don't know, but I thought it sounded very Wildhearts too.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

User0015 posted:

ih-ah is a little weak.

Blasphemy.

Although I would like to know why it's called Ih-Ah when the lyrics sound like Ah-Ih

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Is there anyone who didn't like Epicloud much who likes Sky Blue? I found Epicloud kind of dull and maybe my least favourite Devin album overall, and all the Epicloud + Sky Blue love is making me worried I won't much like Sky Blue either.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Cool, I'm excited to hear it again now, I think the atmosphere and cohesion was what was missing from Epicloud for me.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I kind of agree actually - it's a great moment but that riff at least needs to be more distinct. I've always been fine with Devin's production before but Z2 is seriously muddy and it loses some of its impact because of it.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Just listened to the RAH performance and holy poo poo his vocal performance on Deadhead and Death of Music is amazing.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Failure is really good, great percussion too.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

RDreamer posted:

Digging the album, but I do think it kind of lacks its own identity within Townsend's entire discography. It's a pretty solid album overall, so don't let that critique fool you. It just sounds like more Devin Townsend, that's all. There's no wrench thrown into it like with something like Ziltoid or Ki or Ghost or Epicloud, etc. I also think starting the whole thing off with an previously used iconic album opener like Truth really kind of hurts it in that regard.

Absolutely, I think it's better than anything else he's done since Casualties of Cool but it feels more like a B-Sides/unreleased collection than anything. Definitely good B-Sides, but it never really feels like a cohesive album - something Devin's usually very good at - and the fact various parts of different songs sound like they came from specific periods in his back catalogue makes it a weird listen overall. The individual songs are all good though, so I'm still enjoying it.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Not related to the new album, but the Casualties of Cool live DVD is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Guys I think Devin got the discs the wrong way round.

Disc 1 has some great songs but sounds like an unreleased song collection bonus disc, disc 2 is a cohesive album I'd say sounds like if SYL recorded Addicted 2 - snarlier, heavier but still full of energetic pop hooks and fun electronics. Disc 2 is a straight up return to form, top tier Devin Townsend album.

• Locked thread