Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Rusty Kettle posted:

Oh boy! Devin is having all sorts of issues on the latest Ziltoid radio episode. How many more episodes do you think he'll do before bowing out?
Just started listening to the first one of these and it makes my walk to work more bearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

When's the next Ziltoid podcast out?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

First saw Devin as a guitarist in The Wildhearts at Donnington in 1994, he did seem to be a far better musician than any of the rest of the band. That's twenty loving years ago.

Caught Strapping Young Lad in 1998 for their City album tour. There was only about 30 of us in the venue (a disco!), so after Devin introduced the band he asked us to shout out our names as well. Half way through the gig, he had a race with one bloke to see who could run around the dance floor fastest. They put on a full show ("We're getting paid anyway!") and my ears physically hurt after the gig, it was so loud.

City still holds a place in my heart balls to the wall intensity.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Does anyone know when the Ziltoid Radio Show is coming back?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Rusty Kettle posted:

I am a very juvenile man and like Devin's juvenile side. For instance, I am truly sad over the apparent death of Ziltoid radio.

Really? Crap.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Piece with Devin in the UK's* Independant newspaper:

Devin Townsend interview: 'When I look back at my musical catalogue, Z² is going to define it'.

*plus or minus Scotland** after tomorrow.

**Yup. Still with us.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 22, 2014

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

You sir, are a saint.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Garrand posted:

I kind of skipped over Casualties originally because I prefer Devin's heavier stuff, but I've gone back and picked it up and it's actually pretty great to end a stressful day.

Also I'd like to thank this thread for introducing me to Devin Townsend as he has quickly become one of my favorite artists. I just really wish there was a good opportunity for me to see a live show.

Can't believe I forgot to buy a ticket for his Royal Albert Hall show, it's 2 days before my birthday. Would have been such a treat for myself. :mad:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Goobish posted:

If you want to feel better or compete with sob stories, I missed a loving VIP meet and greet with Devin when he played in Chicago. Thanks to my dad having medical emergencies (that could have been prevented if he gave a poo poo about his health), and I got to play nurse 24/7 for god knows how long. I live like 5 hours away from Chicago, so yeah I was pretty loving pissed for awhile. And I'm like 80% positive I was going to be proposed to by my bf at that show. Just to add more anger and resentment.

This wasn't meant to be a contest, but you win.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Was listening to a vinyl rip of Addicted! yesterday (iBasso DX50 & Sennheiser Momentum cans) and I was surprised I could hear so much more detail in the music than I recall ever (it's one of my go-to albums). Actually stopped in the street I was so engrossed.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

I just picked up a ticket for Grand Tier 6 and I'm pretty stoked, 'cos I though I wasn't going to able to go.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

jonathan posted:

Are there any songs that have fart noises other than deconstruction ?

He did a Rammstein remix with farts and banjos.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Had a five hour train journey today and apart from listening to the latest two Better Call Saul podcasts I gave Z2 a proper listen. Went with disc 3, then 1 and then 2 (thought I'd leave the disc with all the characters on for the last listen). Turns out I enjoyed them far more this time.

drat, Anneke is always good, but Dominique Lenore Persi has an awesome voice on her.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Off to see this bald weirdo tonight for the third time !!
13 days before the Royal Albert Hall!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

henpod posted:

Seeing something like this performed at the Royal Albert Hall is fun, because it's such a posh and prestigious venue.

True. The only other time I was there, I saw Spinal Tap.

Holy poo poo, that was 7th July 1992!!!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

AzureSkys posted:

Had the same experience with Dark Matters and pretty much just listen to the dialogue version now.
Enjoy the show!
drat will. Getting ready to travel now.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

horse mans posted:

That was a phenomenal show.

Hell yes, and Devin looked truly happy with it all. I know it's the Royal Albert Hall & all, but still had earplugs in. Don't think my hearing ever recovered from a SYL gig in 1998, and this show was, as ever, deafening (but a great sound mix).

Loved at the end he shook hands or hugged everyone with VIP tickets (who were invited on stage for the last song), then jumped down to speak to the fans in the front row.

Great bloke. Great gig

Edit: Z2 = heavy metal space opera?

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 14, 2015

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

TheMirage posted:

Vid of Dev's son rocking out to Universal Flame. Jealous of anyone who got to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iScwR_pdVyg

Ha, you can see me at 4:50 in that video!

Cool timelapse of setting up the of the event, the concert and cleanup afterwards from the Royal Albert Hall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxP_kGyYq20

Also noticed a large Ziltoid figurine behind the sound desk, what was that (meant to be) used for?

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 20, 2015

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

poor guy, Sky Blue's one of the best things he's done in years :(

God yes, was ear binging with Z² for too long before I bothered to put Sky Blue on. It's amazing.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Viivac posted:

Blu ray on the way because holy poo poo. The RAH mix sounds much better than BAT and RS.

If anyone in the UK hasn't ordered the Ziltoid Live At The Royal Albert Hall blu-ray yet, Amazon.co.uk has just dropped the price to £12.94.
Link

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Stoat posted:

Aww yisssss

Jesus, that's a huge image even for my 5k retina iMac!

Good news though (but really he should have a holiday or something to recharge his batteries). Shame there's no more Ziltoid Radio though.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

jonathan posted:

how the gently caress does one get a bluray of that ziltoid royal albert hall show ? The blurays on amazon are region encoded for europe. The cmdistro site states its sold out. Can't even find a torrent.

CMDistro still has the more expensive BR + Artbook + 3CD + 2DVD set available

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

henpod posted:

Awesome! He seems really excited about it. Grabbed a bunch of tickets for his March show next year as well.
Got me one for London. The fuckers wanted another £2.50 for "Service and Delivery Charges" (in addition to the booking fee), even if I print off the tickets myself, so I got them to post the ticket to me.

Glad I got a ticket, but going to be a long wait to the gig.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Manuel Calavera posted:

Same. I was smart and bought earplugs for my buddy and I so we're not deaf.

That is very important. I was at a SYL gig in the early 90s and it was so loud my ears hurt after. Don't end up with the tinnitus I have.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Got an email this morning:

quote:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for purchasing tickets to see Devin Townsend Project on 17 March 2017 at the Eventim Apollo.

The venue doors will now open at 6.30pm and Devin Townsend Project will perform Ocean Machine in full during the first half of the show.

Well that so much drat better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

That's a photo I never knew existed.

Anyway, London gig this Friday. Totally stoked.

also Crowbar on Monday.

• Locked thread