Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
...I'm seriously digging this. Glad to be proven wrong every now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

henpod posted:

Here is Kingdom for those like me who are stuck at work and need to hear some new Dev.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHzr1QrMxOU

Jesus gently caress.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

henpod posted:

Bonus video, Old-rear end Devin vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtjLn5cTJfU

Oh man. That's cringe-worthingly endearing.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wall Of Noise is Devin Townsend. There's probably something on pretty much everything of his that you'd like (Except maybe Ghost or Ki, but both are great as well and worth keeping in mind)

I'd go for Terria, Ocean Machine and Ziltoid in that order. After that, go nuts :).

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I didn't know it was possible to hate Ih-Ah.

In other news: Grace is probably the best song off Epicloud. If somebody wants to know what Epicloud is, I'll get them to listen to Grace. Goddamn that song is loving awesome.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Revol posted:

Aw, you poor thing, with your Devin and Meshuggah shows in the span of less than a month. I've yet to see Meshuggah. :(

Meshuggah supported Devin Townsend in Australia.

T'was pretty sweet :)

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Revol posted:

I believe this is one of the few points that cannot be open for debate.

Yes it is :p. I reckon it's Ocean Machine. I'm actually not a huge fan of Infinity or AE. They're both kinda...typical. Synchestra, Terria, Ocean Machine, Ziltoid and the DTP are all very different albums and in my books, much more creative.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

AzureSkys posted:

This made me smile so huge I'm sure I broke my face muscles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0apsOhWV2M
"Me and Dirk during Deconstruction... just found this. =) It's a cover of a song by Weebl. Look it up if you get a sec."

That is by far one of the funniest things I've heard Devin do.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

rotinaj posted:

Ocean Machine is one of my favorite music albums of all time.

Did Devin ever do another that was similar?

Not really full albums, but there's lots of Ocean Machiney moments on a lot of his other albums. While it's a much MUCH darker album, you might want to check out Terria.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Gah. gently caress you Oztix.

Tickets for his Melbourne show went on sale today at 9:00. VIP Packages were being sold through Oztix.

I was on at 9:00AM. I watched their little green countdown and I couldn't get a VIP ticket.

So I went and got regular tickets and was happy with that.

Then my mate got a VIP package at about 9:30AM. They were sold out quickly after.

I'm psyched to still see the show, but Oztix just turned away a customer who was happy to pay a lot more with a bungled ticket launch. Bastards.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Holy gently caress.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Synchestra is Devin's best sounding album. Discuss.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I got my copy today!

Holy mother of god. It's magnificent

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

First of all, I was disappointed with the sound on By A Thread. The sound on this set IS better, but the vocals are still a tad too soft for my liking.

This will require multiple watchings to see everything that was going on.

It's confirmed (in my eyes) that Devy MUST have Tourettes syndrome because he does not EVER shut the gently caress up! It's always funny and welcome but goddamn!

In regards to everything else, you'll have to wait and see :). It's just ridiculous and I feel like I'd be spoiling it for a lot of people. The joy in this thing is seeing it all for the first time and going: "Wait, what the gently caress was that?!"

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah. Anneke sings a lot. This makes me happy.

I think it was to preserve Devy's voice over such a long set.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Devin Townsend ripped Melbourne apart tonight.

We got Truth, Regulator, Christeen, War, Kingdom, Disrupter, Juular, Liberation, Lucky Animals, Storm, Save Our Now, Gaia (What the gently caress?! gently caress yeah!), Vampira, Deep Peace and GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCEEEEEEE.

I met him and the rest of the band after the show. They are all absurdly cool people. I got photos with them all and they let this little tragic fanboy talk to them without calling for security.

loving awesome.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

henpod posted:

I was thinking of posting that, those vocals are badass. I might rip the audio and replace the studio version with that on my ipod.

I find the guitars and drums just to be too muddy in their recording for all his live albums, so this is a good middleground.

It is drat good. Not a fan of the song, but gently caress he lets rip.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm learning how to play Kingdom on guitar because I'm a masochistic bastard with too much time on my hands.

16th notes at 176bpm? Seriously? gently caress you Devin.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm not sold on it yet.

For me, it's pretty drat repetitive. Also, I don't think the multi-layered vocals Devy uses fit the feel of the songs. I think they're a bit too much for songs that are trying to be really simple.

It's performed well and you can feel that Devy has got the album to be exactly what he wanted. So it's not a bad album, but it needs to grow on me.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Check this out. The high note at the end...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtrtl_VWlUA

Ohhhh man this is going to be loving unreal.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

jonathan posted:

Don't get me wrong I'm into a ton of metal. I love doom/stoner/sludge, and post metal stuff like Isis. But some of the Devin stuff almost seems like Mr. Bungle. It's really good and fun, but only after hearing it a few times. Atleast thats the impression I get.

I'd disagree with that. Devin stuff at least feels like it's got some vague point to it. Mr. Bungle and other stuff sometimes just chaotically wanders all over the place without any real form or structure. Devin usually has some sort of "theme" in his songs that brings it all together.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Revol posted:

You might need to research the music to figure it out, though. You take a listen to Deconstruction and you might be rubbing your head. But Devin put out a commentary for it, explaining how it's all one entire story.

Eh, when I said a "point" I meant more musically than anything else. It rarely feels like Devy is just loving around randomly.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wow, I'm always taken aback by Devin when he's in an interview.

You see him on stage with a gigantic penis and gigantic vagina, screaming song like Kingdom at the top of his lungs at you or launching into something incredibly uplifting like Grace, then you see he's really quite insecure. I'd give the man a hug, but I don't think he'd appreciate it.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

SO far, to my mind that CD reminds me of Addicted crossed with Ocean Machine.

Oh god yes.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's sounding pretty awesome. His guitar actually sounds pretty drat meaty there.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
gently caress! That's loving awesome!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Man, that song has so much energy that I don't care that it's similar to his other stuff.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

I went to his guitar clinic and I got to play his guitar.

It was loving brilliant and I'm still trying to put my brain back together.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't know what I just listened to but I know it thoroughly entertained me and immersed me.

But I will say that the chorus melody of Fallout is one of the best loving melodies I've ever heard. Goddamn.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Dark Matters is more like a radio play than a metal CD. I would argue this is the most ridiculous and over-the-top thing Devin's ever done and I love it.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

origami posted:

I actually like the way Physicist sounds and would prefer a more stripped/less produced sound then the same axefx preset with the same vocal chorus sound over and over again.

Most of his sound these days is coming from a Mesa Recto.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Devin did this thing and I thought it was cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFqUmJY5x28

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

spamman posted:

Went to the Melbourne show tonight and holy cow he played Death Of Music and it was incredible.

I went to his Acoustic show and both Melbourne shows.

It was always incredible.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Besides. Epicloud is still in print. ;)

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
That sounds bloody awesome.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ-9tnfPq9E

Here's the new song. The production is fantastic. The song kicks rear end. Getting hyped.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Skip Olives. Imagine Terria opened with Earth Day. Go from there.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

NonzeroCircle posted:

The Devin Townsend Megathread: it's beef

The Devin Townsend Megathread: Oh my god it's a cheeseburger.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's as Devin as it gets. I think it'll be one of those songs on the album that just sneaks up on you. You won't skip it but after a few days of listening to the album, it'll be the one that sticks with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just got my "pre-order" copy today.

Holy poo poo, the bass and kick drum in this sounds loving magnificent. I'm super impressed with how good this sounds.

• Locked thread