Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I thought I read something about new versions of Life and Pixillate. Are they on Epicloud or the recent live album?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I've been on a huge Devin Townsend kick recently too. With the exception of "Coast" I never was a huge fan of Ki but after hearing the whole album live on By A Thread I just can't listen to it enough.

By A Thread is simply amazing though, all the energy and crowd interaction adds so much, I wish I could've been there. Now to wait for Epicloud live.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

Allen Wren posted:

I think everyone's covered all the highlights at this point, but I've got to cover for the record that's probably the only one not mentioned (aside from weird stuff like Hummer or Devlab): Accelerated Evolution. Sure it's "the pop record", but it's the debut of RVP, it's got some of the best flat-out songs he's ever done (Storm Storm Storm STORM loving CHRIST), it's basically, along with Biomech and Terria, the third point in the line that ends at Epicloud.

Storm and Deadhead both have some of my favorite Dev vocals.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Where is my AutoRip copy Amazon? The MP3 album is already up in the store. Don't make me wait until the CD arrives. :argh:

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Dark Matters has some good riffs but Sky Blue is the standout of the two. Fallout, Midnight Sun, Universal Flame, Sky Blue, and Before We Die are my favorites of the lot. Midnight Sun feels like it could've dropped out of Synchestra to me. Silent Militia is decent, really there are only a few which haven't really clicked, or have some undesirable elements mixed in with an otherwise enjoyable song, like I don't like the chorus of Rejoice but enjoy the verses.

Dark Matters generally feels like a bunch of (really sweet) riffs mixed together for a musical. Only a few songs like From Sleep Awake, Deathray, or March of the Poozers feel like individual songs that can stand alone outside of the whole raw. I've only listened to the raw cut once though.

I did take a chance to go back and listen to Epiclouder and I'm amazed how many good songs are on here. I must've only listened to it once when it came out, but now I want to throw three quarters of it onto my playlist. FWIW I didn't know there was a song on Ghost named Dark Matters either.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

jonathan posted:

Does anyone else feel that Heatwave off Epiclouder is the ultimate road trip song ? Now, for me I usually play it while on my way back to Vancouver so it kinda hits close to home, however I wish Devin would do a full album in that southern twang type style. It's cheesy but fun.

I just re-listened to Epiclouder last week and Heatwave is just such an amazing song. Trainfire off of Ki has a similar style to it and yeah I could dig more of this stuff.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
That's the impression I've had for a while. Dark Matters and Deconstruction felt like albums he thought he needed to make to satisfy part of his fan base that desired a return to heavy albums. Each one also happened to release alongside a second, lighter album and when you look at all of his recent work though you can see a pretty clear turn toward energetic stuff like Addicted or ambient stuff like Casualties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I don't even know what I'd do with the rest of the music in my collection if Devin Townsend and Clutch did a collaboration, there wouldn't be much point to having it anymore.

• Locked thread