Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

AzureSkys posted:

Devin did a practice show he said would be the full set.
This popped up (spoilered for those who don't want to know the set).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFQLMQh_zLU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srSOma43Fgs

Incredibly excited for the full performance, especially the 2nd one.

Oh man just gently caress you guys if you're going to see this live :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What's it called? This sounds cool.

The Gentle Storm - The Diary.

It has it's moments but for the most part it's just post-Human Equation Arjen. Anneke sounds lovely as usual though.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

AzureSkys posted:

Devin did a live thing on Twitch.tv and made a new song in a couple of hours.
https://www.twitch.tv/toontrack/v/26647142?t=1h29m

Here's the song itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_okOqKNUUIg

Edit:
The time stamp isn't working for me, but it begins at 1h 29m.

This is incredibly cool

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Aww yisssss

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Had to be huge to be suitably heavy for devy

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Blabbermouth:

DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT To Begin Recording New Album In March

quote:

Canadian musician/producer Devin Townsend will enter the studio on March 27 to begin recording the next album to be released under the DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT banner. Tentatively titled "Transcendence", the follow-up to DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT's 2014 double album "Z2" will be released in September.

Speaking to Metal Wani's editor in chief Owais "Vitek" Nabi, Townsend said about the writing process for his next CD (hear audio below): "Because 'Z2' happened amidst the crowdfunding, amidst touring and just lots of poo poo, it was really a challenging and tiring experience. So I've tried to spend this year really putting the pieces together. So now that we are working on a new DTP record, the process will be more streamlined, more efficient and more fulfilling."

He continued: "The way that I write is I just write a ton of music in the background of my life and then I just bring it into rehearsal. It's, like, 'Okay, guys. It goes like this. Let's smooth it out.'"

Townsend also talked about the new album's musical and lyrical direction. He said: "In terms of what the music is, it's always hard to tell. But in terms of what the theme is, I can tell you — it's about getting over it: getting over yourself, getting over… all that stuff. And I'm not saying that I am. But the point of it is, that seems to be the next step."

He went on to say: "You know, I'll get into situations with people that I'll be really irritated by them. And recently there's been this sort of thing that's been going on in my process where I'm, like, 'This is your problem. This is not [the other] person that needs to change; it's you and how you're reacting to them.' And that's kind of new, right?"

Townsend added: "Because I have been so pigheaded and so selfish about so many things for so many years, I've spent a lot of time being, like, 'That person needs to change. This person needs to change.' So, in a sense, this record is based around the sense of, like, what needs to change is your reaction to these things and not them."

"Z2" was a double album where the first CD was a DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT album called "Sky Blue", and the second disc was a ZILTOID album called "Dark Matters".

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Not sure where they got the album name from, but MetalSucks is reporting Devin Townsend Reveals Information About Next Album Transcendence.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

September 2nd

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/761424360330539008

HECK YA

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

It's also on Spotify.

God drat this is a really nice song. It's got some nice atmosphere to it, kinda gloomy. I kinda felt he lost that vibe around Epicloud which was a bit too squeaky clean for me, glad it's back.
I love Ki and Causalities and the winding guitar in the middle totally gave me chills. HYYYYPEEEE.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Every day is Earth Day in the Devin thread.

Speaking of which, almost time for a new thread. Title suggestions if you please!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Transcendence Documentary - Episode One: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdpg62tE_A0

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Secret Sciences is now on Spotify.

Also a guy on Last.fm called EvanClark has a review copy and posted some stuff:

quote:

Stand put tracks so far (3 listens in) Failure Higher Stars

quote:

The only thing I really dislike is that Truth starts out the album. It's a great rerecording and it clearly worms as an album opening, but using the rerecording as the opener for this one takes away a little bit of the magic of Infinity, because no other album sounded like that until now. Just a little bummer. But listening to the whole thing is a pure joy.

quote:

There's a ton of solos on the record and much higher emphasis on instrumentation intricacies. There's very few songs where the vocals are the main focus, which is a bit of a change of pace. Instead most of the songs have heavily layered harmony vocals between devy and anneke. The vocals are kind of shrouded, which actually works pretty well for this type of music.

quote:

new album is pretty loving tits. Its basically Accelerated Evolution mixed with Sky Blue

:fap:

quote:

Just wait until you hear Higher and Transdermal Celebration. Really looking forward to discussing this album with you man.

^ in reply to "Secret Sciences is out in the ether now, and it's absolutely frigging brilliant. No words for how much i love it.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Oh and here's part 2 of the Transcendence documentary

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

It's not nearly as catchy or poppy as Sky/Epicloud was, but that's not really a bad thing. It's more of a grower but I'm digging it.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

150% agreed. Nothing on the album is bad, but it doesn't have an identity outside of "a Devin album". I feel the same way about Epicloud - everything else he's done has a 'vibe' running through it, but this one's a bit all over the map.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

The Devy Fanclub in Japan posted a tweet to help people not accidentally buy Crimson Glory's album of the same name :3:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Those On My Left posted:

i really wanted to like this release more

i listened to it and was like "There's some good stuff in here but some filler too"

and then i just went right back to listening to the latest russian circles, which loving destroys

and then the new eluvium came out and now i can't listen to anything else

oh well

Ok your music taste is literally identical to mine (Eluvium is still one of my top picks of the last few years) but I could not get into the new RC. I'll try again I guess!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I'm pretty sure it's the symphony, iirc he said that was next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

HNNNNNNNGGG

• Locked thread