Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

This site has old car brochures from the 70s, including your Fairmont

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/Australia%20and%20New%20Zealand/1978%20Ford/1978%20FORD%2033.html

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/ just in case that link doesn't work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

You Am I posted:

Chuck an alloy head six in it ;)

I ad to change the handles on my LTD. The XD-F series had crap handles as well

I saw an old kingswood at work the other day that they had wedged a 6.0L LS2 under the bonnet!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ferremit posted:

I saw an old kingswood at work the other day that they had wedged a 6.0L LS2 under the bonnet!

That wouldn't be too hard considering the HQ had the option of the 350ci V8. Would be a poo poo load lighter as well.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The issue I see is getting enought woah under a kingswood to match the go of the LS2

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Ferremit posted:

The issue I see is getting enought woah under a kingswood to match the go of the LS2

Well, the awful early iteration RTS spears you off the road into something solid, stopping the car in the length of the bonnet. Simple.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Got the paint done today

Bonnet:

Boot lid:

It should match pretty well with the old paint, just need to sand and buff it next weekend and then onto getting the engine sorted. Should be on the road after Sunday!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ferremit posted:

If you have the money, there are brake mobs that will make the calipers/rotors for what you need.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Almost everything is done, bonnet and boot lid are back on, they're a bit lighter than the old paint but it doesn't look too bad.

Windscreen is being done tomorrow and then I'll be driving it from Morayfield to Chermside unregistered to a mechanic to get the roadworthy done. I'm a little bit worried that something is going to go wrong on the way, I'm still not sold on the idea of taking it out on the highway for my first real trip in it either.

I'll get some pictures of the finished work tomorrow.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Ansith posted:

Windscreen is being done tomorrow and then I'll be driving it from Morayfield to Chermside unregistered to a mechanic to get the roadworthy done.

A 24hr permit is less than $200. It's been a while since I got pinged for driving an unregistered vehicle, but the fine is usually indexed to be more expensive than 12 months of rego.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
You can drive an unregistered vehicle to a mechanic to get a roadworthy done without a permit provided you have both the vehicle registration form filled out and have CTP insurance on the car. As far as I can tell there's no limit to how far I can take it, it's pretty much stored location to inspection location with no diversions allowed.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas

Falkenbok posted:

A 24hr permit is less than $200. It's been a while since I got pinged for driving an unregistered vehicle, but the fine is usually indexed to be more expensive than 12 months of rego.

If you're driving directly to an inspection station, you can buy the ctp insurance beforehand and that lets you drive an unregistered vehicle straight there, and then straight from the safety cert to garage address or a dept of transport. Cheapest legal option as your going to have to buy ctp anyway. Going to biggera waters tomorrow to buy $700 of parts for my valiant, will post some photos.

E: beaten, but yeah

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Some good news and some gently caress my life news,

Let's start with the good news. Windscreen is in and looks good and the car made it to the mechanic after going down the highway.

Now for the bad news, as soon as I got to the mechanic the guy who came out to look at it took about 30 seconds to pick out a bunch of faults and told me that he won't even do the inspection and to not come back if it's in this sort of condition.

I hadn't been there for 5 minutes and I was already about to crack it at the guy. The guy was just an rear end in a top hat about it too. I kept it all in and said okay and off I went back to the car.

Next problem, car won't start. I call RACQ but after talking to a few people I find out that I'm not covered to get someone out to look at the problem or even to get it towed and in the end even if I was it's not possible because they can't do anything with an unregistered car. I see that they'll take my money for CTP insurance for it but they can't do anything for me when it breaks down. Luckily I was still sitting outside the mechanic that told me to go away.

I go in and get someone to look at it, apparently the coil is dead or something, at that point I had just about had it and wasn't really paying attention. I talked the guy (different person than the last one) that was looking at the car to fix the problem and do the inspection for me so I'll at least know what needs fixing.

Up until this point I was really happy with how everything had been going but now I just feel horrible. I really don't even feel like I should continue with this poo poo at all.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas

Ansith posted:

Some good news and some gently caress my life news,

Let's start with the good news. Windscreen is in and looks good and the car made it to the mechanic after going down the highway.

Now for the bad news, as soon as I got to the mechanic the guy who came out to look at it took about 30 seconds to pick out a bunch of faults and told me that he won't even do the inspection and to not come back if it's in this sort of condition.

I hadn't been there for 5 minutes and I was already about to crack it at the guy. The guy was just an rear end in a top hat about it too. I kept it all in and said okay and off I went back to the car.

Next problem, car won't start. I call RACQ but after talking to a few people I find out that I'm not covered to get someone out to look at the problem or even to get it towed and in the end even if I was it's not possible because they can't do anything with an unregistered car. I see that they'll take my money for CTP insurance for it but they can't do anything for me when it breaks down. Luckily I was still sitting outside the mechanic that told me to go away.

I go in and get someone to look at it, apparently the coil is dead or something, at that point I had just about had it and wasn't really paying attention. I talked the guy (different person than the last one) that was looking at the car to fix the problem and do the inspection for me so I'll at least know what needs fixing.

Up until this point I was really happy with how everything had been going but now I just feel horrible. I really don't even feel like I should continue with this poo poo at all.

Welcome to the world of old car ownership. My Valiant broke down 20 minutes into it's first drive, leaving me in the middle of a goddamn paddock in 40 degree heat. For months afterward I had to deal with intermittent electrical faults stranding me around the place, but you iron them out with time.

Rough deal on the roady, I've had some be absolute pricks, and a good RWC guy is worth his weight in gold. Most places will use it as a chance to ream you for a whole bunch of work, especially on older cars that have minor issues here and there.

You're going to have to learn to work on it yourself, and always keep some tools etc in the back in case you run into any trouble. If this mechanic gives you anymore poo poo, just pay a tow company to bring it back to your place.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Decided I'm just going to call them in the morning as soon as they open and tell them to do the coil but forget the inspection.

Apparently if I get it inspected there I'll have to go back again for the follow up when the work is finished. I'm just going to find someone who will give the car a little bit of slack. The guy told me I had to replace all of the rubber seals around the doors because of their age, gently caress that.

Looking on the bright side it was a lot of fun to drive. There were a few things that will take getting used to, mainly the steering but it performed perfectly the whole trip. For a car that had been sitting for I don't know how long, I was expecting something to go wrong while I was driving.

Steering was way too light for my liking, it'll probably need some adjusting as well because it seemed to only want to either go left or right all of the time. I couldn't keep it straight so I had to keep a close eye on my road position the whole time.

Someone complimented me on how nice the car is looking while I was filling up at the servo too, got a smile out of that.

Positive thinking does actually help sometimes!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Steering arms could be worn, slop in the tie ends can make it wonder a bit. Does the steering wheel move around a bit before the wheels turn?

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

Haha, I got the same bullshit from a RWC inspector once, wrote me up for having a torn door seal on the rear door my 240.

Big cars from the 70's will have fairly light steering compared to something more modern, I can move my steering wheel around with my pinkie, but it shouldn't be wandering over the road. Has it had tyres and an alignment done recently?

AS far as RWCs go, I'm not sure on your options out north, If you could make it out to Ipswich I could give you the details for my usual RWC guy, who will check for lights/horns/basic mechanical stuff but has always been no bullshit.

There is a mob near Stafford city shopping centre that sell used cars with RWCs/rego, I think they do RWCs for walk ins and they might be more inclined to look over small stuff. Otherwise, hunt around for small time mobile mechanics in the yellow pages etc, taking it to a mechanic usually involves them putting it on a lift, however with mobile rwcs they are a bit less thorough in my experience (although the wanker mentioned above was mobile, but it was a franchise).

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Yeah it does a fair bit, after driving it back to my house today it was a little more obvious there is something up with it. Fixing the steering is a priority now.

I got a list back from the mechanic even though I called them today and told them not to bother, I assume they might have done it yesterday before I called. It's not as long of a list as I was expecting and a few of the things that the first guy pointed out to me aren't on the list so he was probably just being an rear end in a top hat over nothing. The second guy got me on a few things that he plainly didn't know how to operate though.

Apparently the washer jets don't work, I check and as I expected still working perfectly. Highbeams not working, I check and again, working perfectly.

On the list of things that need replacement:

Drivers side front shock, noisy and rattling
Left side rear glass quarter needs replacing (I have no idea what's wrong with it, no cracks or anything)
A section of the right tail light needs replacing
Driver's side door rubber needs replacing, amazing that it changed from all the doors to just one

Other things on the list,
Exhaust leak at flange/manifold
Head lights facing down
Brake pedal low

edit:

Bobby_Wokkerfella posted:

Haha, I got the same bullshit from a RWC inspector once, wrote me up for having a torn door seal on the rear door my 240.

Big cars from the 70's will have fairly light steering compared to something more modern, I can move my steering wheel around with my pinkie, but it shouldn't be wandering over the road. Has it had tyres and an alignment done recently?

AS far as RWCs go, I'm not sure on your options out north, If you could make it out to Ipswich I could give you the details for my usual RWC guy, who will check for lights/horns/basic mechanical stuff but has always been no bullshit.

There is a mob near Stafford city shopping centre that sell used cars with RWCs/rego, I think they do RWCs for walk ins and they might be more inclined to look over small stuff. Otherwise, hunt around for small time mobile mechanics in the yellow pages etc, taking it to a mechanic usually involves them putting it on a lift, however with mobile rwcs they are a bit less thorough in my experience (although the wanker mentioned above was mobile, but it was a franchise).

Not sure how old the tyres and and it probably hasn't had an alignment either.

A mobile inspection is looking like the way to go at the moment, I'll be asking around people I know Northside to see if there's anyone they would recommend.

double edit: I'll quickly upload the pictures I took when I got home today, I also managed to tear the front off my Camry while taking it out of the garage which leaves me with no car right now.

Ansith fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 28, 2012

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
I'm really happy with how the bonnet and boot lid turned out, even though the paint doesn't match it still looks pretty good.

I've had the right side of the front bumper of my Camry fall down and drag before but this time the whole thing plainly just fell off. From what I can tell it's had some trouble in the past and however they fixed it up didn't stick too well because it just tore off taking the indicators with it.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

Ansith posted:

Apparently the washer jets don't work, I check and as I expected still working perfectly. Highbeams not working, I check and again, working perfectly.

On the list of things that need replacement:

Drivers side front shock, noisy and rattling
Left side rear glass quarter needs replacing (I have no idea what's wrong with it, no cracks or anything)
A section of the right tail light needs replacing
Driver's side door rubber needs replacing, amazing that it changed from all the doors to just one

Other things on the list,
Exhaust leak at flange/manifold
Head lights facing down
Brake pedal low

Hahah, yeah, sure sign they were going to take you for a ride, good thing you pulled it out. I proudly took my first car (an 87 corolla I'd bought for $1000) into a mechanic for it's first RWC and they sent me back a quote to fix a big list of exaggerated/imagined things, to the tune of $1500!
There are some dodgy shops out there that use RWCs as nothing more than bait. A friend of mine wanted to sell her 2010 Barina with 35,xxx kms, and the place that did the roadworthy said to pass they needed to replace the front shocks, pads, rotors, and pretty much every other front end consumable to the tune of $900, and not knowing any better, she paid up (this was not even a week after she had it dealer serviced at 35k).

Congrats on the paint work, looks very decent, and sorry about your camry, I used to have a 96 wagon that had one side of the bumper held on by zipties and duct tape, they don't seem to be attached very firmly haha.

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

If you're still looking for someone to do a RWC I recommened Auto Ports in Albion, bloke by the name of Darren. He worked on the Monaro a couple times when it was running like garbage and charged me nothing for it, mostly cause there wasn't much wrong just that I wasn't driving it hard/long enough but still. Also just did a 15k service on my Commodore for $200. He's cheap and thorough.

Give him a call if you still need a RWC/mechanic work.
White pages link

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean

Drint Blasters posted:

If you're still looking for someone to do a RWC I recommened Auto Ports in Albion, bloke by the name of Darren. He worked on the Monaro a couple times when it was running like garbage and charged me nothing for it, mostly cause there wasn't much wrong just that I wasn't driving it hard/long enough but still. Also just did a 15k service on my Commodore for $200. He's cheap and thorough.

Give him a call if you still need a RWC/mechanic work.
White pages link

Appreciate the recommendation but I found someone and got the car towed on Monday. The guy who's doing it for me owns a ZF Fairlane which means he'll be pretty familiar with it, he's offered to do some of the work on weekends to keep costs down for me.

I guess it's a good time to do a quick update on what's going on while I'm posting.

He gave me a call before work today and filled me in on the results of the inspection. Not the best news, but nothing I didn't expect.

This is coming from memory so I might miss a few things, my steering is completely hosed, the steering box itself needs replacing among other things. I need new shocks because whoever put in the last ones forgot the bushes, same goes for the front sway bar, both were sort of just rattling around freely. Brake lines were installed incorrectly however long ago they were done and the rubber has pretty much had it anyway. I'm told the boot isn't sealing properly and is filling with exhaust fumes as well.

That was the short list he gave me over the phone, he's going to be sending me an email with his estimates of what everything will cost to fix tonight/tomorrow. I'm a little bit torn over this though, I'm not sure if I should attack some of this stuff myself (and probably take a long time doing it) or just have him get it all over and done with.

I just had a thought too, since I'll be replacing the manual steering box, should I just go ahead and throw in a power steering unit instead? After the tyres were pumped up moving the wheel wasn't an issue at low speeds any more so it's not as much of a priority.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

Anyone know a decent RWC on the south/east/bay side of Brisbane? I need to sell a car soon, and my usual guy is out in Ipswich when I'm in Morningside.

Also, just lashed out on my Valiant and got a bunch of poo poo for it delivered this week, so Saturday I'm replacing the waterpump and doing a few other jobs like painting the fan/pulleys etc. we'll take some photos whilst doing so.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
What else does that leave for you to do in the short term?

I'd give you you the number of the place I'm using but they're a fair way out from you and I don't really want to recommend the place just because I know one of the mechanics.

I actually need to think about finding a good place to do a RWC for my Camry soon (I don't think I really want to take it over south side as well), knowing my luck there's going to be a bunch of poo poo that needs repairs. Which reminds me, I got a new front bumper for it, ended up costing $230 all up and is in better condition than my old one was when it was still attached. I might come out better on the resale value this way, so it's not all bad.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

Ansith posted:

What else does that leave for you to do in the short term?

I'd give you you the number of the place I'm using but they're a fair way out from you and I don't really want to recommend the place just because I know one of the mechanics.

I actually need to think about finding a good place to do a RWC for my Camry soon (I don't think I really want to take it over south side as well), knowing my luck there's going to be a bunch of poo poo that needs repairs. Which reminds me, I got a new front bumper for it, ended up costing $230 all up and is in better condition than my old one was when it was still attached. I might come out better on the resale value this way, so it's not all bad.

The radiator was shot, and so I've pulled it and whilst I have it apart I'm going through and replacing the cooling wear items like waterpump, t/stat and housing and what not. The regal has a transmission cooler integrated in the bottom of the rad, so I lost a lot of fluid getting it out, dreading flushing it, but apart from cooling issues, a flat battery and no carpet she's drivable (but not registered).

Good to hear that you got the Camry sorted though, so you going to sell it and daily the Fairmont right? :v:

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Too late to turn back now, ahahaha-:suicide:

It's the worst idea but I can only own one car permanently, the owners of this complex really hate people leaving a car in the visitor parks for more than a few days. Last car that was left over two weeks ended up being towed. If I could have both, I would but I had to make the decision and I made the stupid one.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

Ansith posted:

Too late to turn back now, ahahaha-:suicide:

It's the worst idea but I can only own one car permanently, the owners of this complex really hate people leaving a car in the visitor parks for more than a few days. Last car that was left over two weeks ended up being towed. If I could have both, I would but I had to make the decision and I made the stupid one.

Oh wow, I was joking, but props to you, driving an old car around is an awesome feeling. I dailyed the Valiant for about 6 months and didn't run into to many problems, it got about 11-12L/100kms, (but does have an electronic lean burn system)and apart from fuel and parking it it was pretty good, filters and other service items are easily available from Supercheap and such but driving through narrow streets was a terrifying experience.

Ironically when it's rego ran out I bought a 1996 Camry wagon to drive around instead (which I then sold within 4 months of owning it after finding a 5spd Volvo 240 Wagon :v:)

You can't keep the Camry parked on the street somewhere just outside your complex?

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Got the full list back from the workshop today, I was expecting it to be expensive with what he'd told me but not $3500+ expensive.

A quick message to Chris and now it'll be getting towed back to his place. Just spent $750 on most of the parts we'll need to do it and it's looking a bit better than what I was quoted. It's probably going to take a lot longer than I was first expecting though.

Oh wow, I was joking, but props to you, driving an old car around is an awesome feeling. I dailyed the Valiant for about 6 months and didn't run into to many problems, it got about 11-12L/100kms, (but does have an electronic lean burn system)and apart from fuel and parking it it was pretty good, filters and other service items are easily available from Supercheap and such but driving through narrow streets was a terrifying experience.

Ironically when it's rego ran out I bought a 1996 Camry wagon to drive around instead (which I then sold within 4 months of owning it after finding a 5spd Volvo 240 Wagon :v:)

You can't keep the Camry parked on the street somewhere just outside your complex?

I think I'll be looking at 16-18L/100kms, time to find a better paying job I think because it's going to kill my wallet along with repairs.

The street the complex comes off is pretty narrow and already lined with cars at night and gently caress walking down the street to get to the car. In the end I do actually really want to daily the Fairmont. The feeling that you're about to die when you go around a slight bend is much better than caffeine before work too.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

Ansith posted:

The street the complex comes off is pretty narrow and already lined with cars at night and gently caress walking down the street to get to the car. In the end I do actually really want to daily the Fairmont. The feeling that you're about to die when you go around a slight bend is much better than caffeine before work too.

Ah that sucks, we lucked out and managed to get a flat with 2 car spots under it, and a decent amount of street parking (handy as I currently own 3 cars, and the GF has 1)

I changed the water pump in my Regal last weekend, took a couple pictures, hope you don't mind if I throw them up here
Where it usually lives, in it's current state under the house (although this was taken after we'd taken the old pump out and flushed it a few times, it doesn't normally have fluid/crud everywhere)

Old crusty waterpump, definitely in need of replacing

Where it came from

The old one looks on in jealousy, engine compartment missing a few things right now

Close up of the shiney new pump

The new radiator is currently sitting in my kitchen in it's box, I'm just waiting for the right time with work/uni to whack it all together, flush the trans and get it running again.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
It feels like Christmas morning, I got home to find a big box waiting for me. What was inside? More boxes, $600 worth of boxes.

Everything is coming together nicely now, all I need to get now is a new manual steering box, front springs (old ones were fine but since we pulled them out I decided I may as well get some new ones, will be lightly lower as well), and a new piston for one of my disc brakes because one was corroded pretty badly.

We took everything out on Sunday and started cleaning it up along with rebuilding the brakes after putting news pads in. What I found below was 30 years of dirt stuck to everything, missing bushes everywhere (causing everything to be broken) and the original shocks!

I also got to work on a few of the other things on my list, I figured attack the easy ones first. I decided to fix the tail light, the guy at the workshop told me that it wasn't attached properly and had just been glued in and not very well at that. Luckily I bought myself a set of second hand assemblies a week earlier.

I took a quick look at both sides, there were nuts and bolts still in there which seemed odd, so I tried to pull it out. First try:

No resistance at all. The only thing keeping it in there was the wires connected to the light bulbs.

I pull it off completely and one of the first things I noticed was one of the bolt holes was missing and there were a few chips of paint where I could see body filler. Which means this was part of the repair job that was done when the car was hit from behind. I knew from that point on this wasn't going to be a quick and easy job.

I was then left with this:

The black tar like stuff must have been the glue that was used, it really wasn't holding anything in any more. The main inner piece of the old one wasn't salvageable at all, as you can probably see. I assumed that the glue had ended up melting through the plastic, it was missing some really big sections and even split in half after me moving it around a few times.

A few hours later I rebuilt the assembly with parts from both minus a few bolts that I had to cut because the nut had attached itself for life. It fits and is a lot better than how it was before but it's only attached by two bolts at the bottom. Either I'm going to have to do a hack job of it or buy another second hand one but it's a lot better now. I managed to get rid of 90% of the tar as well, I was happy to find out that it wasn't a factory thing, someone else had the stuff on one of their tail lights as well, probably just a dodgy panel beater that did the work on the rear end.

The tail light had been sagging down the whole time, I just hadn't noticed it. The other one is perfect which is a relief, I really don't want to have to do all of this again.

Ah that sucks, we lucked out and managed to get a flat with 2 car spots under it, and a decent amount of street parking (handy as I currently own 3 cars, and the GF has 1)

I changed the water pump in my Regal last weekend, took a couple pictures, hope you don't mind if I throw them up here
Where it usually lives, in it's current state under the house (although this was taken after we'd taken the old pump out and flushed it a few times, it doesn't normally have fluid/crud everywhere)

Old crusty waterpump, definitely in need of replacing

Where it came from

The old one looks on in jealousy, engine compartment missing a few things right now

Close up of the shiney new pump

The new radiator is currently sitting in my kitchen in it's box, I'm just waiting for the right time with work/uni to whack it all together, flush the trans and get it running again.

I don't mind at all, in fact, keep posting updates! Mine will probably slow down after it's on the road.

I'm seeing a trend with these old water pumps, Chris had his old one sitting out with my old suspension gear and it looked like it was in the exact same condition. I have a feeling I'll probably be looking at a new one in the near future.

Good to hear that you're getting close to having it running again.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ah, replacing water pumps on a hemi six. So used to doing those on my dad's old truck (he had a Dodge with a 245ci hemi in it). It would blow water pumps regularly due to the heavy weight of the truck fan and the fact the bearings could not take it.

At least it was an easy job.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Looks like the XC will be on the road on Monday (for real, mechanic let me know that he's happy to pass it after he checks the brakes).

All the front suspension and steering is in, I just have to throw the wheels back on tonight and then get started on replacing the bushes on the rear end. Everything will be done by Sunday and I'll be getting an unregistered permit for Monday and driving it to the workshop for the RWC.

All I can say from this experience is that I hate split pins.

Pictures of the progress to come tomorrow, I forgot to get some before shots which is a shame because it looks 20x better now than it did.

I couldn't have had everything done at a better time either, Monday is the start of my 3 week holiday (and by that I mean 3 weeks of not going to work, I'm not sure if I'll do anything).

Mr Gorgon Holmes
Aug 1, 2007
Ask me about being possesed by the spirit of John Holmes
It's good to see Australian cars in AI, I always had a love for older cars as well I owned a stock HZ ute that I sold because of rust problems. You live to have regrets I guess

I used to work in the panel industry, I was a spray painter for a bit, it was an exercise in having your heart broken over and over again but never giving up for the greater good

Good to see Brisbane goons, I'm in the tweed heads area

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Plates? Plates!

I had an eventful day that's for sure.

In the morning I went to Queensland transport for a day pass but they just told me to drive it to the workshop without one, less money I have to spend I guess. It did take 45 minutes waiting around for that answer though.

After that I went home, got in the XC and drove to get petrol. I intended to fill it up with 95 but stopped at a pump with either 91 or 98. 98 it was. The pump stopped pumping twice and reset the price on me as well, stupid me wasn't keeping track of how much I'd put in and at the end the pump clicked and stopped but the fuel came up and splashed me. I'm getting good at covering myself with petrol, last time it was a jerry can and in the eyes.

With a full tank of gas I got in and started driving, it's now I noticed my fuel gauge wasn't working as I'd suspected before when I'd filled it up. I really hope there's a simple fix for it because otherwise I can guarantee that I'll run out of fuel because I have no idea how much it uses yet.

I get it to the workshop fine, drives really well now that half of everything has been replaced. Zane gives me the okay and I chat to him a bit before heading off. At this point I start running into troubles, the first tap of the accelerator does nothing, if I put my foot down further I actually get something. Most of the time this means the car will jump forwards because it's not responding to my foot slowly pushing, it just gets the last part. I'm really not sure how else to explain it, I wasn't having the troubles for the first trip though.

I continue on and get it registered and have the VIN on the car inspected. All good and I've got my plates. I drive down the road and try to turn out of the street, stalls mid turn and won't start again. There were cars waiting behind me on both roads so I closed the choke and pretty much forced it to run for a few more metres. Same thing again, I do this about 5 times before I was able to glide into a parking spot. This was literally 5 minutes after it had been registered. I call up RACQ and get them to change my membership over to the car.

The guy comes out and has a look, gets me to reproduce what had been happening. I assumed it was an issue with fuel not getting in but he narrowed it down to the condenser in the distributor. He messes with it a bit and it starts working again. The next thing I do is go and get a new one.

The problems started again after a little while longer of driving, hopefully once I fit the new one in I won't have any trouble. I did end up stalling in the middle of an intersection as well while driving home, the people behind me weren't happy.

Other than that I'm pretty positive I've got a coolant leak somewhere, my radiator is emptying out a fair bit.

e: Coolant leak found, heater is leaking on to the passengers side floor. Bypass time.

Ansith fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Sep 24, 2012

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Great to see it is back on the road. Bugger about the heater though, however shouldn't be too hard to pull the dashboard apart. The only thing to worry about is brittle plastic parts.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Heater cores are the worst loving thing to replace. I guess it's good that winter is over and you won't be needing it for a while, yeah?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ansith posted:

e: Coolant leak found, heater is leaking on to the passengers side floor. Bypass time.

My 1980 Ford had the same issue, except it was more of a.. spray. Ruined the factory radio before I bypassed it.

Usually old cars don't have working a/c and have working heat. I had ice cold a/c and no heat. Thankfully it doesn't get that cold here..

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
I'll need to have a look at all the vents too, it might just be the heater that's the problem but I can't get the fan to push air through the vents, I can hear it running but no flow. I'm going to grab a hose and just disconnect the heater from the system for now, the fan would be useful if it was working because of how hot it's getting but for now I'm just going to wait until I can afford to fix it. Money is getting a bit tight, replacing the brake master cylinder when it didn't need to be replaced along with rego really emptied my bank out.

The car is stuck in the garage for now, I changed the condenser and of course, it didn't fix the problem. After changing it last night I took it out for a quick test. 3 minutes in the accelerator stop responding unless I push it in a little bit extra, and as soon as that starts happening after I try and take off from a stop the car stalls. Usually after I've made it a quarter of the way into an intersection.

Tried it today, I did a few laps of the block taking me about 10 minutes, nothing. I go out a litter further and while going around a roundabout the accelerator stops responding for a second or so, causes the car to jump a bit but after that it seemed fine.

Chris suggested that it could be either my fuel pump on the way out or my carby is a bit gummed up. My explanation of the problem might be a bit vague but I'm not really sure how else to explain it, more input on what it could be would be really helpful. The car just wants me to hate it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sounds like the accelerator pump might be worn on the carby. One of my old Corollas would have a dead spot when you put the boot into it, then would surge. Like bad turbo lag

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Ansith posted:

Tried it today, I did a few laps of the block taking me about 10 minutes, nothing. I go out a litter further and while going around a roundabout the accelerator stops responding for a second or so, causes the car to jump a bit but after that it seemed fine.

Float bowl would be my first port of call. Especially if it usually happens in corners.

Accel pump has been mentioned.

I think the 250 had a 2bbl carburettor with the 2nd venturi vacuum operated. The secondary may be munted, but that'd manifest as being dog slow, not zero power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
It's not really something that only happens on corners, more of a whenever it feels like ruining my day sort of thing.

I'd say you're right about the accelerator pump, that's pretty much the answer I'm getting from everyone I've asked. I'm going to rebuild the carby and pick up another inlet manifold from the wreckers, I might as well replace that while I'm doing it, I don't really trust the temporary fix. I'm also going to replace the fuel pump as well just to be sure.

I really hope that does it for a while, though I'm sensing a problem with the electronics in the car. While I had my wipers, lights and indicators on the other day the indicators delay got longer and longer and eventually turned off by themselves. I don't even want to think what will happen if I throw a stereo in, which I sort of want to do after it's working.

• Locked thread